Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah it's an awkward one. Tomorrow will be our 7th date and it just so happens a lot of my friends and family are out drinking together so we're going out with them and doing the whole introducing thing which is a bit nerving.

Is nerving the opposite of unnerving?  So, you're chilled about it, right? :P

• Like 1

On 20/01/2016 at 20:45, lapal_fan said:

One thing I'm sure ALL of VT can agree on, is that Xela is just a big silly tit, with absolutely no friends and owns a waifu pillow.

Now let none of us speak of, or to, him again. Then hopefully he will leave and close the door behind him.

Why have I only just heard of a waifu pillow?! 

• Like 1

On 22 January 2016 at 13:13, lapal_fan said:

People think too hard.

You're right, of course, though haven't you been with your missus since school? That's nice but pretty rare. It doesn't come so easily for most of us, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Ginko said:

You're right, of course, though haven't you been with your missus since school? That's nice but pretty rare. It doesn't come so easily for most of us, unfortunately.

Yep valid point I think I only know one person that still is. What people dont understand dating has evolved so much from when I wa sin school. Womens mentality now is certainly different from my mums generation

• Like 1

Exactly, if you've been very lucky to meet your soulmate as school, you don't need to think about things like dating anymore. If like me, you've had a history then you are always questioning yourself etc.

As Dem says, it has changed. Its like 'Pop Idol' dating now, where you have to keep on your toes with women. Its so easy now for people to look elsewhere if you don't impress straight away. A decent looking woman on a dating site could easily date every night of the week. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep valid point I think I only know one person that still is. What people dont understand dating has evolved so much from when I wa sin school. Womens mentality now is certainly different from my mums generation

You'll have to take my word on this, but dating has not evolved.

We didn't have grindr when I was a kid. We didn't have mobile phones or texting. We had the Fantasia nightclub. You would do the rounds, some of them were too shy to bother investing much time in, some were clearly damaged goods. Some were 'ladettes' before we'd had that term helpfully codified for us. Some thought a kiss and a fumble would be followed by marriage. Some, were teaching their boyfriend a lesson or trying to entice someone back home where the hubby was waiting to be untied. Some were permanently looking to trade up. Some were nice and normal.

What you have now, is more instant access to more females from a greater geographical area. But the ones with the mentality to use dating websites.

• Like 3

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 10:02, Demitri_C said:

But it depends on the profile really, there is a lot of profiles where there is nothing for you to feed on. if a man has low self confidence he will approach it differently to someone who has confidence and understands how to attract women. I am not saying just a "hey" is good not at all. But most people I know who have said something along the lines of "hiya how you doing today" get blanked. Some people find it difficult with the initial first message hence why they send a response like that. Sometimes even when you mention an interest in their profile you still get blanked!! 

Women look at it differently to men, if men get a message from a woman first its like wow she is different she has courage to message me first. But for a woman (probably because they receive a large amount of messages) its like filtering to see which guy sounds different or can handle me. 

Again, it works both ways though.  Don't you think if a woman messaged a man she could just as easily be blanked by him, regardless of the message she sends?

It is very much the case that if you're getting 50 messages from 50 different men a day, of course you're going to filter through them.  For me, it's not really about them sounding different, it's just about giving me something to respond to. I fully understand the low confidence thing because I have it myself.  That means though that if I plucked up the courage in the first place to message a guy, I'd at least attempt to engage him in conversation with something a bit more for him to go on than 'hello'.

It's a sad old game really. Everything is just 'out there' and shockingly performative, oh aren't there just so many options. It strikes me quite silly, hoping to actually find the one via app/dating service, but I guess these are the times we live in. 

• Like 3

Aside from serious sites like e-Harmony and Match, most blokes I know who are on dating apps aren't looking for the one, but just an easy lay instead. It tends to go like this: get talking to a woman online, feign interest in a relationship, go on two/three dates, get laid, fade out from contact.

And whilst it is possible to meet women in pubs and clubs, you can't be in them as much as you can be browsing catalogues of women on your phone. Not only that, traditionally, blokes had to actually approach women in clubs, now they can just log on and without any bravery, charm or charisma can blast out countless messages which increases their opportunity ten fold. It's not like when you used to hit a club in order to pull and only have a short window in order to meet someone, and if you didn't, you'd have to wait until the next weekend...it's now 24/7. 

I think the whole thing causes a sweet shop mentally in that there's too much choice and it's easy to flit from one person to another in a never ending loop of looking for attention from the next best thing. 

Whilst I don't doubt that some people on these things are genuine, with good intentions, I think its abused and **** knows what it will lead to long term in terms of marriage and divorce rates, people failing to settle etc. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Â