Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Following on from my post above, I need to get back in the dating game. 

I had kind of closed myself off for a number of years from the world of dating as I kidded myself I was quite happy on my own but that changed when a young lady showed an interest in me a couple of months ago. Suddenly, having a very attractive girl express a desire to know me better, awoke feelings in me that had laid dormant for too long and made me realise I really miss those feelings you get when someone likes you and you really like them back. The excitement of seeing them, getting messages from them and all those things that you feel in the early stages of a prospective romance. Ultimately, nothing really happened as there were too many insurmountable obstacles to overcome, which I won't bore you with, but if I have learned anything from it, it is that I do want to meet someone.

I haven't signed up to a dating site yet but have browsed POF, as you can search on there without registering and I am surprised at the large number of very nice sounding, and looking, single women on there who are fairly local to me, so that gives me hope for the future. 

yeah that initial buzz you get at the start of a relationship is awesome. then after 12 months it goes downhill .

me and my partner have lost the spark that many times, and there has been times when we've both doubted ourselves for wanting to be with each other. had some right rough times, and some times where there has been absolutely nothing there at all in terms of interest,passion,effort. both thought the grass was greener.

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im on pof dont really like it. I find it more weirdos and egos. 

I was on POF for about a week, but I found it dispiriting, although that could have been just the mood I was in at the time. 

Xela, have you ever tried speed dating? I went with some mates a couple of years ago and it was a good experience. It ultimately came to nowt for me, but I really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of nice, attractive girls who turned up. 

At the very least it's an easy, fun bit of warm up for getting back out there properly (if you felt you needed the practice that is!).

2 dates in 2 days with a brand new Tinder match, and I think I have met the most normal, down to earth woman in a year. She's 4 years older than me, and that's a mental hurdle I'm still trying to overcome but at 44 with a smoking hot body & likes my aftershaves, I think I'm onto a winner.

She's already mentioned going away for a weekend, maybe a little early for that, but fingers crossed I'll be DHUTWU quite soon.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

2 dates in 2 days with a brand new Tinder match, and I think I have met the most normal, down to earth woman in a year. She's 4 years older than me, and that's a mental hurdle I'm still trying to overcome but at 44 with a smoking hot body & likes my aftershaves, I think I'm onto a winner.

She's already mentioned going away for a weekend, maybe a little early for that, but fingers crossed I'll be DHUTWU quite soon.

I thought about a weekend break away with that girl I'm seeing but just think it's too soon. When does it become not too soon? 6 months onwards? 

Sounds des like your on a winner with this one Stuart hope all goes well mate

59 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I was on POF for about a week, but I found it dispiriting, although that could have been just the mood I was in at the time. 

Xela, have you ever tried speed dating? I went with some mates a couple of years ago and it was a good experience. It ultimately came to nowt for me, but I really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of nice, attractive girls who turned up. 

At the very least it's an easy, fun bit of warm up for getting back out there properly (if you felt you needed the practice that is!).

I've never tried speed dating. I have this perception that it would be just old people and mingers there which is probably wrong!

46 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

According to Californication, her letting you DHUTWU means she's expecting it to be a longterm relationship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've never tried speed dating. I have this perception that it would be just old people and mingers there which is probably wrong!

I was expecting it to be terrible but I found the whole experience quite good fun. 

If I remember correctly there was around a dozen women there, three minute date for each one. I'd say I found around half of the dates attractive (based solely on looks and those three minutes).

One thing it taught me though, it's amazing how long three minutes appears to vary, depending on the company!

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I tried it once, ironically because I got invited by a girl I wanted to sleep with.

It was at The Vaults in Birmingham.

Maybe it was a one off, but let me tell you, the men there hit the jackpot. There was me and one other guy and we were head and shoulders above everyone there in terms of looks and personality. Seriously. And I'm no oil painting. The other guys there were ugly weirdos.

The girls on the other hand, were smoking. Well, I'd say 12-15 of the 20 there were good looking.

We cleaned up. Unfortunately, I was so intent on bedding the girl I'd been invited by I never followed up any of the other leads :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I tried it once, ironically because I got invited by a girl I wanted to sleep with.

It was at The Vaults in Birmingham.

Maybe it was a one off, but let me tell you, the men there hit the jackpot. There was me and one other guy and we were head and shoulders above everyone there in terms of looks and personality. Seriously. And I'm no oil painting. The other guys there were ugly weirdos.

The girls on the other hand, were smoking. Well, I'd say 12-15 of the 20 there were good looking.

We cleaned up. Unfortunately, I was so intent on bedding the girl I'd been invited by I never followed up any of the other leads :(

maybe if it doesnt work out with that indian girl I will give it a shot :)

• Like 1

on the sites, I never liked PoF, although I assume it's probably changed since I was on there 5 or so years ago. I used OKCupid and had success there - well after a mixed bag of a couple of no-shows, another couple of of awkward one time dates, then one decent lass leading to an on-off bit of fun and mentalness for about 9 months, before at the beginning of last year meeting a girl, who I know I'll proposing to at some point this year. 

But the site itself was very user friendly, easy to browse, usually got plenty of matches coming up, regularly receiving and sending messages in the meantime. Just to add that one in to the mix for all you would be daters out there too. And good luck!

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

on the sites, I never liked PoF, although I assume it's probably changed since I was on there 5 or so years ago. I used OKCupid and had success there - well after a mixed bag of a couple of no-shows, another couple of of awkward one time dates, then one decent lass leading to an on-off bit of fun and mentalness for about 9 months, before at the beginning of last year meeting a girl, who I know I'll proposing to at some point this year. 

But the site itself was very user friendly, easy to browse, usually got plenty of matches coming up, regularly receiving and sending messages in the meantime. Just to add that one in to the mix for all you would be daters out there too. And good luck!

happy to hear you got some success there mate! Good luck with the proposal. Never tried okcupid

seems to be getting abit more serious with this girl for me now. she asking if i have told anyone about her yet and said she is ok with that if i do..god i feel that conversation of where is this going coming soon...

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought about a weekend break away with that girl I'm seeing but just think it's too soon. When does it become not too soon? 6 months onwards? 

6 days mate!

I don't think there is a "too soon" for anything in general. There maybe "too soon" in your specific relationship but only you will be able to judge that. If you like her and want to ask her about going away or having "the talk" then just do it. 

98% of what you read in "The Game" or that ridiculous Roosh forum is bollocks. 

1 minute ago, Eames said:

I don't think there is a "too soon" for anything in general. There maybe "too soon" in your specific relationship but only you will be able to judge that. If you like her and want to ask her about going away or having "the talk" then just do it. 

98% of what you read in "The Game" or that ridiculous Roosh forum is bollocks. 

Its not me who is going to be orchastrating that talk its gonna be her I can tell! I hate those talks!

Â