Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Your wedding day is for the pair of you getting married. It is not for the mums, no matter what they might think.

Our wedding was nearly hi jacked by both sets of parents adding 'important' people to the guest list. We had quite a direct chat with both sets of parents that we didn't care how many family weddings 'uncle fernando' had attended, we had never previously heard of the dude so he wasn't coming to ours. A tense few days, but well worth it as it also set the tone for people trying to tell us we needed table decorations, bags of sugared almonds (?), a stretch limo for the evening and all manner of other shite.

the thing is chrisp are your parent(s) contributing towards the wedding costs? at Greek weddings they tend to help you alot financially therefore I would be abit embarrassed to say to them you cant bring some of their friends to my wedding.

if you are paying for the whole thing then i get why you would feel that way.  

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

the thing is chrisp are your parent(s) contributing towards the wedding costs? at Greek weddings they tend to help you alot financially therefore I would be abit embarrassed to say to them you cant bring some of their friends to my wedding.

I dont get that either. We're planning our wedding at the moment and paying for it all ourselves. We chose to do it abroad to avoid the massive thing here with people we dont really care about. We even got a planner out there to do all of the legwork for us. It adds on a cost but the saved stress is so worth it! But, if our parents were helping out i still see it as our day. If they kindly offer to help then its a very nice and generous gift, but i dont see why that means they take over the day. Maybe its to different extents, but ive seen peoples parents tell them they cant have the dress they want because it wont suit the decorations they want to buy, and rule out venues and dj's because it isnt what their friends would expect. One of my mates even had their mom tell them not to invite certain friends because they liked a drink too much and her friends would feel uncomfortable. At that point id be giving every penny back and saving for longer to pay it myself. 

My wedding was held in the famous St Antoine church on Istiklal caddesi in Istanbul. 

We'd already sorted the guest list for the reception but any body could come to the ceremony in the church. The trouble was it's a **** tourist attraction and although we'd 'closed' the church to everyone else they still piled in. Japanese/American/Dutch/Arabic guys just kept streaming in and taking pictures.

Also, as is custom in Turkey, the bride and groom people line up at the end to give you either gold or money. I must have stood there for about 90 minutes before I gave up and walked off. I'd just been standing there shaking hands like a plonker. It was a bloody conveyer belt.

Again I'm torn for if/when I get married.

I want a big wedding because there's lots of people I'd like to invite. Mainly Irish family. I've been invited to pretty much all of their weddings (and there's been a lot) so I want them at mine.

But I also despise a lot of the traditions that come with weddings. Inviting people that you "have" to invite. Doing certain things, giving the right amount of money all that shite.

It's the OH's sister's wedding this weekend and it's driving me up the wall.

None of that shit at mine. I'll invite who I want and we'll do it how we want.

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It was kinda the other way around.

We funded it ourselves, specifically to stop it turning in to the usual circus.

At the time there was an arms race of weddings getting bigger and bigger, more people at fancier venues...invariably followed by splitting up a couple of years later. So we were kind of making a statement. Used the local church on the side of a main road in town, not some fancy place with a booking fee 'donation', the vicar was also a local league ref so he did the ceremony for free (providing he could be gone by 1:30 latest!), clubhouse for the lunch reception, a friend who was a jeweller made us a couple of wedding rings as his present. Another friend made us the cake as their prezzie. Another worked for a bus company and we got all evening guests to and from the piss up on a couple of coaches - which turned out to be a bit of a highlight apparently! No excuse for drink driving, no excuse for not drinking. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You'd have to be the only guest if you were the best man.

thats rubbish you hobbit you told me last night crying that you didnt have any friends and that you needed me to be your friend i only somewhat agreed and said ok then stevo i know you dont have any other friends ok ill be your friend and then you did more crying and then later when we was playing gta 5 with @StefanAVFC and @villarule123 then you acted cool and threw me under a bus when i said something funny and you said yeah right really sarcastically but here i am on the other next day and i still say a nice thing about you letting me be your best man and again stevo you throw me under a bus or something bigger like a tank or tanks because the size and magnitude is so big because of my feelings i feel as though i have been sorely let down and you should be bought to task and believe me i will find that task and when i do boy will you be a sorry son of a gun and then you will have no friends and no girlfriend and no fiance and no wife because she will have spoken to me about your meanness and how you can be so cruel to your closest friend thats me and she will leave you and probably think youre a right plank and i will tell her that you dont deserve her and she can have a better friend and then ill be their best man anyway so go away you baldilocks ill get your comeuppance and you will be the one crying at the end of the day not me 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

thats rubbish you hobbit you told me last night crying that you didnt have any friends and that you needed me to be your friend i only somewhat agreed and said ok then stevo i know you dont have any other friends ok ill be your friend and then you did more crying and then later when we was playing gta 5 with @StefanAVFC and @villarule123 then you acted cool and threw me under a bus when i said something funny and you said yeah right really sarcastically but here i am on the other next day and i still say a nice thing about you letting me be your best man and again stevo you throw me under a bus or something bigger like a tank or tanks because the size and magnitude is so big because of my feelings i feel as though i have been sorely let down and you should be bought to task and believe me i will find that task and when i do boy will you be a sorry son of a gun and then you will have no friends and no girlfriend and no fiance and no wife because she will have spoken to me about your meanness and how you can be so cruel to your closest friend thats me and she will leave you and probably think youre a right plank and i will tell her that you dont deserve her and she can have a better friend and then ill be their best man anyway so go away you baldilocks ill get your comeuppance and you will be the one crying at the end of the day not me 

I love you

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

That's kind of what lapal's best man speech was like at @Rob182's wedding.

• Haha 1

Our daughter's wedding, latest. 

It was understood upfront that we would share the cost of the thing with the groom's parents. So far, we've forked out for the venue deposit and several other sundry costs. Now the groom casually relays to us a conversation he had with his dad: "Oh, we've decided to get some windows done, so we may not be able to help out with the wedding, after all". 

Well, thanks a bunch. 

Just now, Paddywhack said:

That's kind of what lapal's best man speech was like at @Rob182's wedding.

thats true and i have a photo of it all that hard work i done and all i have is this lousy photo of it and another photo of the people crying with happiness and laughter at my well timed jokes about rob and his dad and nan and his bedroom and all of the other things that rob has in common knowledge with me and because i did most of the talking and making class jokes about rob then paddywhack spoke everyone was asleep so that shows you just how much of a best man i am rob himself said that i was the best man and he was right i was so thanks rob for the photo i will put it up in the window so i can look at it closely to remind me of all the smiles i bought to the room 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Our daughter's wedding, latest. 

It was understood upfront that we would share the cost of the thing with the groom's parents. So far, we've forked out for the venue deposit and several other sundry costs. Now the groom casually relays to us a conversation he had with his dad: "Oh, we've decided to get some windows done, so we may not be able to help out with the wedding, after all". 

Well, thanks a bunch. 

So you're going to end up paying for all of it or your daughter and groom will be paying themselves?

I think my parents felt awful with mine because my wife's parents kindly gave us a small fortune each (they're separated), whereas my parents couldn't really afford to pay much towards to it, even though they'd have loved to.

I think it can all get a bit awkward.

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

So you're going to end up paying for all of it or your daughter and groom will be paying themselves?

I think my parents felt awful with mine because my wife's parents kindly gave us a small fortune each (they're separated), whereas my parents couldn't really afford to pay much towards to it, even though they'd have loved to.

I think it can all get a bit awkward.

Well the bride and groom are paying for some stuff, but we're taking the biggest hit. TBF, he thinks they'll probably cough up anyway, but yes, it's a bit awkward. They are certainly no poorer than we are, anyway. Not going to get into a tizz about it, but it's poor form IMHO. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I read that in Alan's voice from The Hangover. 

• Like 1

Â