Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've already told my OH that if we get married I won't be asking her Dad for permission. 

She was a bit taken aback at first and my response was "just think about how stupid and sexist that tradition is?"

She's fine with it now 

Get your best man @lapal_fan to do it in your behalf. He gotta make himself useful before the VT open stag ;)

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've already told my OH that if we get married I won't be asking her Dad for permission. 

She was a bit taken aback at first and my response was "just think about how stupid and sexist that tradition is?"

She's fine with it now 

Probably realised she would only say no anyway. ;)

I love that you posted this under basically your real name . . . 

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Our daughter's wedding, latest. 

It was understood upfront that we would share the cost of the thing with the groom's parents. So far, we've forked out for the venue deposit and several other sundry costs. Now the groom casually relays to us a conversation he had with his dad: "Oh, we've decided to get some windows done, so we may not be able to help out with the wedding, after all". 

Well, thanks a bunch. 

. . . and then added this, just to make sure there was no confusion with any other Mooney's with tight-arsed future in-laws! :crylaugh:

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

On the name thing, there are some intriguing coincidences in our family. 

Obviously, my wife married a MOONEY. 

One of her sisters married a MALTBY  (M----Y) 

Her other sister married a POOLEY (-OO-EY) 

My daughter is marrying a MAYBURY (M-----Y) 

The other daughter may have to trade in her partner (DALE) if she's going to stick with the pattern. 

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don't see a problem asking the father. Unless he's a complete prick he's not going to say no.

It's nothing to do with whether he'll say no or not.

Why the **** should it matter if the father is on board or not?

I'm not marrying him. The only person's permission I need is the bride :) 

If I asked the OH's dad and he said no I'd just tell him I'm gonna marry her anyway (there's a song in there!)
SO what's the point?

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's nothing to do with whether he'll say no or not.

Why the **** should it matter if the father is on board or not?

I'm not marrying him. The only person's permission I need is the bride :) 

If I asked the OH's dad and he said no I'd just tell him I'm gonna marry her anyway (there's a song in there!)
SO what's the point?

I understand your point Stevo but thing with marriage is that its 90% tradition, the clothes, the process, the location, the vows etc etc, the asking of the fathers permission is not literally about getting permission obviously. Its just one of the many 'traditions. It will probably mean a lot to the OH.

Saying that, I didn't ask my father in law probably for the same reasons you're not keen (he's a c0ck).

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I understand your point Stevo but thing with marriage is that its 90% tradition, the clothes, the process, the location, the vows etc etc, the asking of the fathers permission is not literally about getting permission obviously. Its just one of the many 'traditions. It will probably mean a lot to the OH.

Saying that, I didn't ask my father in law probably for the same reasons you're not keen (he's a c0ck).

Exactly, and it's the traditions that annoy me.

It's hypocritical, because I'll probably abide by some traditions and not others.

But the whole wedding etiquette and doing stuff just because it's tradition annoys me.

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I didn't ask my Papa in law. 

If anything he should have asked me because my wife is a **** nutcase. 

She's brilliant in the sack though... 

39 minutes ago, V01 said:

She's brilliant in the sack though... 

She's not. 

Put some minge around it would ya! It's like shagging a dead horse.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

My missus dad passed away just like her mum, so I guess you then ask the brothers permission then even if he is younger than you 

No, I think in that case you have to ask the government. Write to your MP. 

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2017 at 13:46, Stevo985 said:

Again I'm torn for if/when I get married.

I want a big wedding because there's lots of people I'd like to invite. Mainly Irish family. I've been invited to pretty much all of their weddings (and there's been a lot) so I want them at mine.

But I also despise a lot of the traditions that come with weddings. Inviting people that you "have" to invite. Doing certain things, giving the right amount of money all that shite.

It's the OH's sister's wedding this weekend and it's driving me up the wall.

None of that shit at mine. I'll invite who I want and we'll do it how we want.

Not shagging the hottie at work then?

57 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I asked my father in law but that was only when my missus asked me to after I proposed. I think I asked him moments after nailing his daughter B)

The same one you were marrying, or a different one?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I asked my father in law but that was only when my missus asked me to after I proposed. I think I asked him moments after nailing his daughter B)

Did he give you a tissue to clean up with? 

Â