Steve Bruce Sacked (Merged)

TheDrums

**** I miss MON. Winning at OT, Anfield, Emirates. That deadly 451 which won us 7 successive away games. Some thrilling 4-4 draws. Some amazing comebacks from 2 down, the Blues 5-1 (and winning every time we played them), Derby 6-0, THAT Everton game. Milner Downing and Young all in the same team, Blackburn 6-4, 2 cup finals.

It was fun being a Villa fan then, sure we had some bad runs and defeats but you always thought the players were giving that bit more when he was in charge.

He might have made some bad signings (many good as well) and screwed up a bit with wages, but to repeat myself. IT WAS FUN. Now it's hard to give a shit. 10 years with AM and we won't have a quarter of the stand out games we did in 4 under MON.

All in all he was a great manger for us

Once Sunderland finish higher than us I hope attention is firmly placed upon that clearing in the woods of an owner we have and his rubbish, pathetic managerial appointments.

All three of his managerial appointments have been dodgy, I grant you.

His biggest mistake was not getting rid of O'Neill 12 months earlier. Our position and the landscape in general would be a lot more favourable now had he done so. That 12 months extra damage has cost us dearly.

I am sure that Sunderland's eventual relegation will be preceded by a number of isolated highs.

I'll be very interested to see how MON gets on particularly as has apparently committed to work within 'budget constraints' which is the generally accepted reason why he left Villa.

IMO Bruce is Mr Average as a manager and was always out of his depth at Sunderland. I also think he signed a load of crap over the summer with the Bent money so MON is going to have his work cut out to shape them into a decent outfit.

Having said that I think MON is a decent manager who should definitely be able to get them a top ten finish.

But for me at least and after spending lots of money MON would never have got us any higher in the league Man City or not. That will also be true at Sunderland. As I said he is a good manager but certainly not as good as the media think he is nor as good as he thinks he is.

I'd also have a cheeky bet it ends in tears too.

**** I miss MON. Winning at OT, Anfield, Emirates. That deadly 451 which won us 7 successive away games. Some thrilling 4-4 draws. Some amazing comebacks from 2 down, the Blues 5-1 (and winning every time we played them), Derby 6-0, THAT Everton game. Milner Downing and Young all in the same team, Blackburn 6-4, 2 cup finals.

It was fun being a Villa fan then, sure we had some bad runs and defeats but you always thought the players were giving that bit more when he was in charge.

He might have made some bad signings (many good as well) and screwed up a bit with wages, but to repeat myself. IT WAS FUN. Now it's hard to give a shit. 10 years with AM and we won't have a quarter of the stand out games we did in 4 under MON.

This stands out for me. It was fun being a Villa fan when MON was in charge.

I rarely look forward to games now (not just to do with the managers though).

Compare that to the successes.

Milner

Young

Friedel

L Young

Carew

Downing (Although he had about one good game under MON.)

Left out Heskey, Cuellar and Petrov due to their prices so I don't think they should be in either..

What about Dunne? He was a rock under O'Neill. As was Collins for that matter. I'm not sure how Petrov isn't a success... he's been fantastic value for money, and is still captain and one of the first names on the teams sheet under subsequent managers. When MON left, our squad was a damn site better than when he arrived.

We're Aston Villa, not Man Utd. We're about the 6th biggest club in the country, and about the 6th most successful historically. MON had us regularly competing where we should be, and even if he couldn't quite get us up the next step, he came very close. Which is frankly a lot more than most of our managers ever achieve.

I would say Dunne was value for money not a transfer where you'd say wow we paid good money for him. Same with Petrov, we did pay £8m for the guy. There have been several players who have been bought for far cheaper who are better then Petrov in this league. Petrov has been a very good player though apart from his first 18 months.

Yes our squad was a lot better then when he arrived, why is that? Erm we spent a lot of money isn't that easy to understand :shock:

Yes we came 6th for three seasons, but every season we failed for the same reason and for the money we spent it was almost expected. As mentioned before, us and Spurs spent far more money than 90% of the teams under us and the positions reflected that. A true achievement is David Moyes getting Everton in similar positions and an FA Cup final yet he has barely had anything to spend for years.

Once Sunderland finish higher than us I hope attention is firmly placed upon that clearing in the woods of an owner we have and his rubbish, pathetic managerial appointments.
not long to wait then

All three of his managerial appointments have been dodgy, I grant you.

His biggest mistake was not getting rid of O'Neill 12 months earlier. Our position and the landscape in general would be a lot more favourable now had he done so. That 12 months extra damage has cost us dearly.

I am sure that Sunderland's eventual relegation will be preceded by a number of isolated highs.

I still wouldn't trust the bloke to bring someone decent in even back in the summer of 2009. His managerial appointments in America have been ridiculous to Browns fans and continued here.

If the bloke gets it so wrong he should stay away from running football clubs, especially when he's never there anyway.

I liked knowing we could give anyone a game or that if we went behind it wasn't over.

I also liked not worrying about relegation each year. Something i have had to do in the last 18 month

It was pretty close last season but in the end we were quite safe. I don't think many Villa fans are worrying about relegation this season.

Yeah it was but that is very much the edited highlights it wasn't all good.

Regardless he walked out on the club 5 days before the start of a season seemingly because he wasn't able to continue to spend money at the rate he had been for the previous years.

Any respect I had for the man went out the window then.

I generally agree with you closing points though.

I wonder what reception he will get when he comes back to Villa Park at the end of the season. I've really got mixed emotions so not sure what I would do. I mean, he really was tremendous for us at the time, but he completely left us in the shit.

I wonder what reception he will get when he comes back to Villa Park at the end of the season. I've really got mixed emotions so not sure what I would do. I mean, he really was tremendous for us at the time, but he completely left us in the shit.

I liked knowing we could give anyone a game or that if we went behind it wasn't over.

I also liked not worrying about relegation each year. Something i have had to do in the last 18 month

It was pretty close last season but in the end we were quite safe. I don't think many Villa fans are worrying about relegation this season.

you have to be joking right?

have you not seen our fixtures upcoming

Hopefully a bad one. It's all he deserves.

Actually hadn't seen it but looks like we have some tough games coming up. I'm still not worrying about relegation though. We might be shit sometimes but there are AT LEAST 4 sides that are more shit than us and on a more consistent basis.

Actually hadn't seen it but looks like we have some tough games coming up. I'm still not worrying about relegation though. We might be shit sometimes but there are AT LEAST 4 sides that are more shit than us and on a more consistent basis.

I'm really not worried about relegation. There are too many piss poor teams. But we all remember those teams that just were to good to go down. When things get worse, nerves come creeping and suddenly things fall apart. Might happen.

Â