Steve Bruce Sacked (Merged)

TheDrums

Because he claimed his position had been made untenable = couldnt do has he pleased anymore so threw his toys out the pram.

That's not a valid reason to pay him compensation though.

If he walked away, i.e. resigned, because he wasn't happy for whatever reason, then he was owed nothing by Lerner.

Sunderland in the top 6/7? :lol: What exactly is so great about O'Neill that he can take a team like Sunderland there? Bear in mind finishing top 6 would probably mean finishing above Newcastle and a team like Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea

A team like Sunderland? your not talking about a Bolton, Blackburn or Wigan here. They have a 49k stadium and given a sniff of relative success will fill it. They have a decent history, all be it much of it before WWII, and an owner who seems prepared to give decent backing to his managers.

Finishing above Newcastle shouldn't be too much of an issue should it. Pardew has done a decent job but not one that makes them insurmountable. As for Chelsea and Spuds. One needs a major rebuild and both could be looking for a new manager in the next 8 months.

Sunderland aren't a Villa or Everton either.

Yes, I think Sunderland finishing above Newcastle would be a struggle. Pardew is a very good manager, definitely better than MON. If you look at their squad it's better than anything MON could hope to assemble at Sunderland.

Please don't tell me you honestly think Sunderland could finish above Spurs and Chelsea?

Yes, I think Sunderland finishing above Newcastle would be a struggle. Pardew is a very good manager, definitely better than MON. If you look at their squad it's better than anything MON could hope to assemble at Sunderland.

Please don't tell me you honestly think Sunderland could finish above Spurs and Chelsea?

lol is this the joke thread now?

Sunderland in the top 6/7? :lol: What exactly is so great about O'Neill that he can take a team like Sunderland there? Bear in mind finishing top 6 would probably mean finishing above Newcastle and a team like Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea

A team like Sunderland? your not talking about a Bolton, Blackburn or Wigan here. They have a 49k stadium and given a sniff of relative success will fill it. They have a decent history, all be it much of it before WWII, and an owner who seems prepared to give decent backing to his managers.

Finishing above Newcastle shouldn't be too much of an issue should it. Pardew has done a decent job but not one that makes them insurmountable. As for Chelsea and Spuds. One needs a major rebuild and both could be looking for a new manager in the next 8 months.

Pardew. What has he done at Newcastle exactly? they have had a good start to the season but lets see where they finish up shall we. Newcastle fans still aren't sure about the guy yet. I doubt very much they'll finish top 6.

Could Sunderland over take Spurs or Chelsea. Highly unlikely. It seemed unlikely we could surpass Liverpool in 2006 but in 2010 we finished above them. Spurs most definately aren't a club that should be out of reach for clubs like us, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland. Of course you need the right manager and decent financial backing to do so.

Sunderland aren't an Everton or Villa no. Not many clubs are. They don't have our history. Although they have a very decent history compared to most. What they do have is a very passionate fan base who will come out with a sniff of success and fill their 49k stadium. Perhaps with a little delusion they will get a bounce from appointing O'Neill and that may well give them a spark which will put them on a roll.

It will be the flip side to us if you like. The appointment of McLeish cast more doom and gloom on a club already in the doldrums. No feel good factor arrived with McLeish and very little good will for the manager. With O'Neill the Sunderland fans in the main will be buoyed by his appointment. The doom and gloom negative atmosphere will instantly disappear and crowds will rise. It may not last, but I'd expect it to last long enough to give them relative success.

No-one has said he's an awful manager, he's just not as good as he's perceived.

We spent:-

5m on Collins

4m on Shorey

5m on Sidwell

8.5m on Davies

8m on Reo-Coker

4m on Harewood

2.5m on Beye plus massive wages.

8m on Delph (Shown nothing yet but been unlucky and needs time, but still 8m...)

8m on Warnock (Been ok but not worth that much.)

That is a lot of money spend on those players. Who have either been crap, or not worth the money spent on them.

Compare that to the successes.

Milner

Young

Friedel

L Young

Carew

Downing (Although he had about one good game under MON.)

Left out Heskey, Cuellar and Petrov due to their prices so I don't think they should be in either.

Yes managers should be allowed to make a bad signing or too, but imo overall he made more bad ones then good ones. We had reasonable success on the pitch but does the money he spent make it worth it, should a manager not be questioned for spending over £50m on players who have barely contributed for us?

When you are a manager it is not just about results on the pitch short term, it is about a long term future and MON never built one. Instead he built a team for him to succeed with and whoever took over was left with a couple of quality players but generally an aging squad on a lot of money they don't deserve.

Just look at the amount of players with 1/2 years left on their contract when MON left, it should be a managers top priority to take care of the future of the clubs top assets and he never did that. It's not hard either, most other clubs seem to manage. Even if they lose the players later on, they still get a big price for them.

Pardew. What has he done at Newcastle exactly? they have had a good start to the season but lets see where they finish up shall we. Newcastle fans still aren't sure about the guy yet. I doubt very much they'll finish top 6.

Could Sunderland over take Spurs or Chelsea. Highly unlikely. It seemed unlikely we could surpass Liverpool in 2006 but in 2010 we finished above them. Spurs most definately aren't a club that should be out of reach for clubs like us, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland. Of course you need the right manager and decent financial backing to do so.

Sunderland aren't an Everton or Villa no. Not many clubs are. They don't have our history. Although they have a very decent history compared to most. What they do have is a very passionate fan base who will come out with a sniff of success and fill their 49k stadium. Perhaps with a little delusion they will get a bounce from appointing O'Neill and that may well give them a spark which will put them on a roll.

It will be the flip side to us if you like. The appointment of McLeish cast more doom and gloom on a club already in the doldrums. No feel good factor arrived with McLeish and very little good will for the manager. With O'Neill the Sunderland fans in the main will be buoyed by his appointment. The doom and gloom negative atmosphere will instantly disappear and crowds will rise. It may not last, but I'd expect it to last long enough to give them relative success.

I don't think Newcastle will finish top 6, but they're certainly a very good side and 7th is theirs to lose now. Not much chance of Sunderland overtaking them anytime soon.

Just because we finished above Liverpool in 2010 doesn't mean Sunderland will finish above Spurs or Chelsea a few years down the line. Maybe if Ellis Short is stupid enough to MON the kind of money Randy did, but even then it's doubtful.

Simply having a feel good factor at a club is not enough to propel a club like Sunderland from where they are now to top 6/7.

I don't really understand the idea that he underachieved for us. You only have to look at the money man city spent to go from nowhere to 4th to see how much money it took so I don't see that as anything but bitterness towards a manager people didn't like.

I also don't get the hatred over how he left. None of us know what happened although we do know the general can't be trusted and mon was awarded money from an independent tribunal.

He made mistakes but I enjoyed his time here, I liked knowing we could give anyone a game or that if we went behind it wasn't over.

Sunderland have got a better manager than us now and I for one envy them while we're stuck with Mcleish.

I don't really understand the idea that he underachieved for us. You only have to look at the money man city spent to go from nowhere to 4th to see how much money it took so I don't see that as anything but bitterness towards a manager people didn't like.

I also don't get the hatred over how he left. None of us know what happened although we do know the general can't be trusted and mon was awarded money from an independent tribunal.

He made mistakes but I enjoyed his time here, I liked knowing we could give anyone a game or that if we went behind it wasn't over.

Sunderland have got a better manager than us now and I for one envy them while we're stuck with Mcleish.

On the other hand you've got Spurs who spent a similar amount to us but managed to get 4th because they had a much better manager at the helm.

I liked knowing we could give anyone a game or that if we went behind it wasn't over.

I also liked not worrying about relegation each year. Something i have had to do in the last 18 month

On the other hand you've got Spurs who spent a similar amount to us but managed to get 4th because they had a much better manager at the helm.

Also...

Everton achieved similar to us spending far less.

Although it is pretty much impossible to compare us to most teams, as after us Everton and Spurs there was a massive gap at the time. That was because us and Spurs spent a lot and Everton have an excellent manager. The other teams couldn't compete financially.

**** I miss MON. Winning at OT, Anfield, Emirates. That deadly 451 which won us 7 successive away games. Some thrilling 4-4 draws. Some amazing comebacks from 2 down, the Blues 5-1 (and winning every time we played them), Derby 6-0, THAT Everton game. Milner Downing and Young all in the same team, Blackburn 6-4, 2 wembley appearances.

It was fun being a Villa fan then, sure we had some bad runs and defeats but you always thought the players were giving that bit more when he was in charge.

He might have made some bad signings (many good as well) and screwed up a bit with wages, but to repeat myself. IT WAS FUN. Now it's hard to give a shit. 10 years with AM and we won't have a quarter of the stand out games we did in 4 under MON.

Yes, regarding relegation, although we're crap, let's have a look at the table.

After 13 games, we have 16 points, meaning we need another 4 points in 6 games to reach the magic 20 number. Which means if we play as bad as we have been in the second half of the season we'll still get 40 points.

Not that 40 points is usually needed to stay up anyway, it's about 37/38 and atm the teams at the bottom don't look like they'd even reach that.

Last season we were apparently going to go down too, in the most competitive season yet and we actually finished comfortably above the drop zone in the end.

Compare that to the successes.

Milner

Young

Friedel

L Young

Carew

Downing (Although he had about one good game under MON.)

Left out Heskey, Cuellar and Petrov due to their prices so I don't think they should be in either..

What about Dunne? He was a rock under O'Neill. As was Collins for that matter. I'm not sure how Petrov isn't a success... he's been fantastic value for money, and is still captain and one of the first names on the teams sheet under subsequent managers. When MON left, our squad was a damn site better than when he arrived.

We're Aston Villa, not Man Utd. We're about the 6th biggest club in the country, and about the 6th most successful historically. MON had us regularly competing where we should be, and even if he couldn't quite get us up the next step, he came very close. Which is frankly a lot more than most of our managers ever achieve.

Â