Steve Bruce Sacked (Merged)

TheDrums

He will do pretty well I think and the fans will like him. Certain things will occur;

Sunderland will now always have the eye over us. Sunderland will beat Newcastle on a fairly regular basis. Sunderland will now produce a stack of players in the England squad...

Interesting to see what will happen to Gardner once O'Neil settles in..

Ian Danter on TalkSport slagging him off now, saying how O'Neil spunked loads of cash up the wall on "mediocre players" then walking out of the club.. Quinny is being his usual prick like self by disagreeing with him and sucking off MON..

He'll keep Sunderland up but anyone who thinks he'll magically guide them into the top 8 should remember in his first season with us he started off well but then we went 12 games I think without a win over xmas/new year.

Infact every season under MON we always hit a slump from March.

Sunderland are a poor team, I thought that when we played them a few weeks ago.

I'll be interested to see how he sets up the team, Craig Gardner at RB? Will he try to convert Sessesgnon into an Ashley Young type on the left wing as he dosen't really do free spirits playing just off the striker.

I imagine it will be Bedtner and Connor Wickham upfront, similar to what he did with Carew and Gabby here.

And if he wants Heskey, he can bleeding have him in January.

It'll feel so wrong to see him in Sunderland. He's a very good manager, even if he isn't perfect. He worked with a limited budget with Leicester and did quite well there. I hated that he walked out on us at the time he did, but I would take him back. As some have said, when he was here there was more excitement and hope down at the VP. And I think there will be mixed feelings from the fans when he returns.

Won't wish him good luck.

Gutted. We have McDick and ONeill goes to Sunderland.

Made my day that!

Kind of how I feel TBH.

No matter how it ended and whos fault it was we had the best years we have had in a long time under the man.

I Liked Oneal while here, but hated some of his tactics, or more to the point is lack of being able to make a change during a game, every fan could see it was needed but he couldn`t, he then got booed or ironic cheering when he eventually made the usual as expected sub, he was a great motivator of his 13-14 regulars, he didnt have a clue how to deal with the fringe players and motivate them.

I can see tears down the line for sunderland fans though. If Mon wants a step down in clubs and funds that is and joins them

Regardless of the circumstances around him leaving Villa there is no doubt that Sunderland have got themselves a decent manager.

I don't see him having the kind of money he had with us to spend but I'm not necessarily sure he needs it. Certainly not to achieve top 6/7 football.

He'd have achieved top 6 for us on far less than he spent. It was in pushing for top 4 that caused the issues and seemed a step too far for him. In fact he did achieve top 6 before big money was spent on Downing, Jimmy, Davies and money was wasted on Sidwell, Shorey etc.

He also had an excellent record at Leicester where he didn't have a pot to piss in compared to most clubs yet still got them into the top 10 every season and won two cups.

If Sunderlands ambition is to finish top 6/7, have a run in the Europa League ( possibly short ), and perhaps win a cup then they have the ideal man to achieve that. If they have loftier ambitions than that they may well find, like us, that O'Neill will come up a little short and spunk a few mill up the wall whilst doing so.

Sunderland fans for now and the next few seasons will enjoy the ride I think.

I really hope he fails spectacularly. For all the good he did here I doubt I'll ever forgive him for walking out on the club like he did, but I admit that's largely because under his management I felt we were really going places - a feeling that has evaporated since.

Simply for getting my hopes up and then dashing them against the rocks - MON I hope your time at Sunderland is a disaster and it leaves your reputation in tatters.

Regardless of the circumstances around him leaving Villa there is no doubt that Sunderland have got themselves a decent manager.

Who is also a word removed, strops when he doesnt get his own way, refuses to be told what to do to ensure the safe running of the club, cheque-book manager and a half-a-job Harry!

I lost all the respect i had for the man the day he threw his toys out of the pram because he couldnt get his own way and walked away from the club that gave him his shot at the big time in the Premiership.

Unless Mr. Short is ready to give him the millions he will no doubt want to shape the team his way, then i doubt he will do as good a job as he did with us.

Like i said before, **** him!

As long as we beat Sunderland at home, i couldnt care less if we end up fighting relegation. Just to get one over on him like he did to us will make me very happy indeed!

The problem with MON was that he did just about enough for the resources he had.

He had the oppotunity for 2 years to break into the CL but failed each time. It was no coincidence the team use to burn out in March and he should have learnt that after his 2nd season in charge. For all the good players he bought he bought 2-3 poor ones too.

Give big sam or brucie that budget MON had and they would probably achieve what he achieved if not less. But i think there were managers out there who would have got us a lot more for our wonga at the time.

Definitely this.

Our relatively good performance under him and the "feeling of hope" was more down to the amount of money being spent than anything else. Of course you're going to be optimistic for the future when you're spending lots. I feel a lot of people are vastly overrating MON. He's a mediocre manager who achieved the bare minimum with us when you take into account the funds he had at his disposal.

Â