Steve Bruce Sacked (Merged)

TheDrums

Ill look forward to seeing plenty of square pegs in round holes and very dodgy signings that most managers wouldnt touch with a barge pole. Not to mention reluctance to use subs, change tactics or blood any youth into the team.

Apart from that i think he will do OK there. Until the inevitable fallout with whoever questions his quirky methods, leading to toys being thrown out of the pram.

my opinion is he will do as good as he did here but not any better

sunderland fans can look forward to long frustrating summers of mon not singing anyone then have panic buys like scarewood. then counter attacking football which will work then in games its not effective he wont have a plan B.

then the whole falling out with palyers and him wibbling when he doenst get his own way. he will start well no question but when tings go sour mon will turn nasty like he did ith us.

i look forward to his return to villa park be interesting to see what kind of reception he will get. i certainly will be chanting "o'neills a bottler"

I think he's a very good manager and will do well there, unfortunately.

This, I don't like him for the way he walked out but look whats happened to us since he left.

Why do people always use this to demonstrate that he's a good manager? Our performance since he left has more to do with the two managers that came after him and a drop in spending.

Those saying "all sunderland can now look forward to is top 6/7 finishes and a good cup run if they want anything more he will not deliver it" I find that amazing.

Like we are going to achieve that at all anytime soon, nevermind do better. We would kill for that I'd guess especially with the clubs actually competing for top 6 /7. Honestly since when have the changes made in the last 18 months left us better placed to go higher than that?

Like I said they have a better manager than us and I would hope thateven the most staunch MON haters on here would be objective enough to at least admit that

This, I don't like him for the way he walked out but look whats happened to us since he left.

Why do people always use this to demonstrate that he's a good manager? Our performance since he left has more to do with the two managers that came after him and a drop in spending.

Drop in spending? Houllier had nearly 30 million in january and we were still gutless and shit. Yes maybe it would have been better if Randy didn't appoint awful managers in Houllier or Mcleish but we'll never know.

Drop in spending? Houllier had nearly 30 million in january and we were still gutless and shit. Yes maybe it would have been better if Randy didn't appoint awful managers in Houllier or Mcleish but we'll never know.

We did well after he spent money on his players. Unless top 6/7 form is shit, then yes, you're right.

We never spent in the summer MON walked out (Getting Ireland for Milner made our squad considerably weaker).

We actually didn't do too badly after January. If Randy had appointed a half decent manager and not McLeish, and then back him in the transfer market (I don't begrudge him for the spending cuts though, as we're simply not bringing enough money in) then we'd probably be doing quite well.

One thing Ive never understood:

If O'Neill "walked out" on Villa, then why did Lerner have to pay him compensation??

We'll never know exactly what happened, but I dont think it was as simple as MON walking out.

Because he claimed his position had been made untenable = couldnt do has he pleased anymore so threw his toys out the pram.

Top manager...but a grade A tosser!

I see Fergie has had a wank over his likely appointment. Not sure how Sunderland should take a ringing endorsement from him as he gave McLeish a great reference.

One things for sure with this appointment it has brought a character back in to the game and it definitely needs them.

It will also make our games against Sunderland a bit more spicy, certainly initially anyway and with the lack of atmosphere down VP at the moment that certainly won't do any harm.

I don't see him having big money to spend but I can see Sunderland finishing top 6/7 within the next couple of seasons and that for them is certainly success. In fact it would also be for us.

Sunderland in the top 6/7? :lol: What exactly is so great about O'Neill that he can take a team like Sunderland there? Bear in mind finishing top 6 would probably mean finishing above Newcastle and a team like Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea

I don't see him having big money to spend but I can see Sunderland finishing top 6/7 within the next couple of seasons and that for them is certainly success. In fact it would also be for us.

Not a snowball in hells chance! His best finish in the Prem is 3 consecutive 6th place finishes...given that we were the biggest spending club in Europe at the time, thats the least i would expect.

Cheque-book manager. Unless Ellis Short gives him £50m net to spend in the summer he will be scrapping for a top half finish.

Sunderland in the top 6/7? :lol: What exactly is so great about O'Neill that he can take a team like Sunderland there? Bear in mind finishing top 6 would probably mean finishing above Newcastle and a team like Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea

A team like Sunderland? your not talking about a Bolton, Blackburn or Wigan here. They have a 49k stadium and given a sniff of relative success will fill it. They have a decent history, all be it much of it before WWII, and an owner who seems prepared to give decent backing to his managers.

Finishing above Newcastle shouldn't be too much of an issue should it. Pardew has done a decent job but not one that makes them insurmountable. As for Chelsea and Spuds. One needs a major rebuild and both could be looking for a new manager in the next 8 months.

Â