Classic Football Games

villaajax

Player manager and LMA manager were huge addictions for me.

Yes! I remember thinking LMA manager was the most futuristic and realistic football game that could ever be made. Lost many hours on that

Ultimate Soccer Manager. The 'manager' bit was a bit misleading. You could upgrade the stadium and change the prices at the food and merch stands

IIRC you could bribe managers to let you win aswell

Player manager and LMA manager were huge addictions for me.

Yes! I remember thinking LMA manager was the most futuristic and realistic football game that could ever be made. Lost many hours on that

Ultimate Soccer Manager. The 'manager' bit was a bit misleading. You could upgrade the stadium and change the prices at the food and merch stands

IIRC you could bribe managers to let you win aswell

On LMA you were also part time architect, designing the ground and ordering renovations!

Also, this was immense

250px-ISS_Pro_98.jpg

Playing entire world cups over and over until I could win it with Greece!

Yep!

I had it on the N64, and for ages didn't have a memory card, so I'd play a whole world cup but if I lost in, say, the semis I'd have to start all over again!

Is it just me or did the difficulty change itself all the time on Villa Club Football 04/05? One match would be far too easy and the next would be ridiculously hard against a crap team? I suppose that's in keeping with Aston Villa.

Another thing was that the credits you earn during the game seemed to disappear if you didn't use them straight away which made it difficult to save up for videos clips and such.

Kick off 2 is still the best football game I've played.

All the refs had their own personalities (F. Zappa would always send you off for your second foul) and all the teams had their own characteristics right down to the fact that the Scottish keeper was shit.

You could play on wet, soggy normal or plastic pitches with variable wind and you could even slow the game to 25% speed to perfect your passing game.

There was no killer way to score either which was the death of many games of that era (I found sensi too easy after a bit).

The same people also produced the Player Manager series which was an idea way before it's time allowing you to control one superstar player at the twilight of his career.

was the first manager game I ever played.

Â