Classic Football Games

villaajax

Three Lions

Ah, I remember the god-awful "innovative new shooting system!". A big **** archery target in the goal that you could only see from certain camera angles.

Still, the "Hundred Mile High City" ad campaign they ran for the game was awesome.

if you ever suffered the trauma that was 2 player, played out an inevitable 0-0, then the following penalty shoot-out - unless one of you was blind - went on infinitely (given that the big **** archery target was plainly visible to the person controlling the keeper)

The simply named 'Soccer' on the GameBoy was my first footballing computer game. It was very easy. You could score a guaranteed goal if you had a shot from a specific position, no matter what difficulty you were playing on.

The first I had on console was Onside Soccer, which I think was for the 95/96 season - officially licensed. It was good cos you could player/manage your side - but if you just did managing straight away you would lose most of the time. So, you took control of the team manually, and it was really really easy. After a season of doing that, the stats for your players would all improve cos you were always winning, meaning your team was so good by the next year that you could manage the team only, and win all the time instead of lose :D

My favourite ever though is FIFA 98: Road to the World Cup. Loved being Vanuatu

Quattro Sports Soccer was my first football game on the NES

Look at the graphics!

33147-quattro-sports-nes-screenshot-starting-a-game-soccer-simulator.jpg

Run down the wing, cross it, goal. Every time. A 2 player game would finish easily in double figures each.

The baseball, tennis and BMX games on the same cartridge were all pretty decent to be fair.

Something I posted on another forum during Euro 2008:

Here are some of my faves and other games that I'll be playing during proceedings this summer:

International Superstar Soccer (SNES):

iss4.jpg

I personally prefer the original to ISS Deluxe as the players don't fall over/slide tackle every time they shoot in this one.

Sensible Soccer (et al) (Mega Drive/Amiga etc.):

sensible_world_of_soccer_96-97_07.gif

No description required.

ISS 64 (N64):

iss64_4.gif

Played this an absolute ton during World Cup '98. Forget about the N64 sequels with their stupid curling systems, this one's still the best. Also, I have no idea how the commentator didn't bag an extended contract/real commentary job after this game, he's awesome.

Football Champ (Arcade):

1181242105169.png

Arguably the best of the vast collection of retro arcade football games. Execute unbelievable supershots, enjoy the marvellously Engrish commentary and snigger as the Graham Poll-a-like gives your player more than two yellow cards in a game without sending them off. Oh, and then laugh out loud at France playing in a fetching and utterly inaccurate Pink strip.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Wii/PC/PS3/360):

cap_hi066_001.jpgpes2008.jpg

I own both the PC and Wii versions of this, and the Wii version offers more fun, innovation and individuality than the other SKUs by miles. There's really no other football game quite like it.

Super Sidekicks (Arcade):

ssideki_a.png

Not quite as good as Football Champ, but fun nonetheless. There are also two sequels which, for me, made the series gradually worse with each release.

Tecmo World Soccer '96 (Arcade):

tws96_a.png

Has the arcade fun of Football Champ but feels more controlled and offers slightly more depth. For example, it has an interesting tackle-avoiding system where sometimes you're asked to make a decision on which way to go around a player and you gain a speed boost if successful.

Tecmo World Cup ('92/'93) (Arcade/Mega Drive/SMS):

mp_twc_a.pngtwc93.jpg

A bit of a brainless one to play really, but enjoyable enough to pick up for a quick bash on. On the SMS, aside from Sensible Soccer, this is the only football game I've come across on the console that's barely worth playing.

Tecmo Cup Football (NES/Mega Drive):

Tecmo_Cup_Soccer_Game_NES_ScreenSho.gifTCFGplay.png

Yes, Tecmo definitely made a ton of Football games, but this one really is like no other - it exhibits more ties to an RPG than a regular sports title and is all very 'Roy of the Rovers'. I won't go into details about it much further so you can experience this intriguing title for yourself :)

World Cup / Nintendo World Cup / High School Soccer - Kunio Kun (Game Boy/NES/Mega Drive):

1840.pngworldcupsoccer-1.pngHigh_School_Soccer_-_Kunio_Kun_J__1.png

These games are somewhat strange - you have five outfield players and a goalkeeper on your team and have fixed control of only one player. However, you can instruct your teammates to pass, shoot and tackle by pressing the relevant buttons. In true Japanese style, you can also perform crazy power shots and don't be surprised if you manage to score from within your own half - it's not too uncommon in these titles.

There are also other versions and sequels with baffling Japanese names for a variety of systems, including the PC Engine, Famicom and Gameboy Advance.

Libero Grande (Arcade/PSX):

lbgrande_a.png

Like the Kunio World Cup games, in Libero Grande you have fixed control of one player in your team and can control the actions of others by button presses. You can also decide which position you play, so the game is different depending on what you role you choose. A unique game that's an interesting experience but perhaps not something for the long-term.

Soccer Kid (Amiga/SNES etc.):

5022_0.png

A fun platformer with footballing influences.

Marko's Magic Football (Mega Drive/SNES/Mega CD):

mamfmg005.jpg

I'm not entirely sure why the Oliver Twins decided we needed another platformer where you kick a ball around a bit (perhaps someone wants to ask them at Fusion!) but nevertheless, this one came out the year after Soccer Kid was released. And it's also pretty good.

Free Kick (Arcade):

freekick.png

Quirky little title this one, which is basically a Breakout game involving players running around on the pitch in front of you in different formations and you having to clear them by administering a good whack with the ball. There's also a goal at the top with a goalie who will chuck the ball back out, but I've never scored against him yet so I'm not entirely sure what happens when you do or if you even can!

In addition, there's the possiblity to put aftertouch on the ball by holding fire when you bat it back.

Soccer Brawl (Arcade):

socbrawl_a.png

A futuristic and brutal game, which includes power shots and all that jazz. I remember playing this one a long time ago at a bar out in the sticks of the west of Ireland.

And, before I get pulled up on this, I was never a fan of the Kick Off games ;) Feel free to chuck your own favourites forward (with screens!)

Â