Classic Football Games

villaajax

I've been working on a little Subbuteo project, trying to recreate all of Holland's home and away kits from our first match in 1905 up to the present day using Subbuteo players.

And after looking back at some past World Cups, I've suddently felt very nostalgic for France '98 and so I just went on eBay and bought a copy for my PS1.

FIFA games of the late '90s were brilliant! I still enjoy Euro 2000 and FIFA 99 when I'm in the mood for some dodgy graphics and not particularly smooth gameplay.

Anyone else have any good memories of the older games or still play them?

I dont buy into the idea that the old FIFA games are as good as the new ones. The 16 bit ones are too slow and the 3D ones have dated horribly. I did like that you could run away from the referee after fouling somebody in the original FIFA on the Megadrive (1993?) but really if retro football games are the topic of discussion then Sensi has to be brought up. Sensible World of Soccer was the best in that series of games, an absolute landmark title. Probably still fun today too.

Sensible Soccer was where it was at for me. Great crowd noises, absurd aftertouch, intricate passing manoeuvres, and dribbling where the ball didn't stick to your feet but which had to be managed carefully. They also had a system where each team would have 2-3 'star players'. For these guys you could just shoot with one button press and the ball would head towards goal like a heatseeking missile, but for everyone else on the team you had to manage the shot and apply aftertouch manually. Actually it was more satisfying to shoot and score that way.

They never had the proper rights in the early days though, so the teams were full of 'Peul Gescoine' and 'Tuny Deley'.

Of the early FIFAs I think I only had FIFA 94 or 95... wasn't there some absurd 'shove' button which would allow you to pretty much criminally assault opposition players, leading to a red card EVERY time. You could also run away from/shove the referee (again a red). Too tempting for me - most of my matches degenerated into that.

And before that I had 'World Soccer' on the Master System. Terrible game by todays standards but I used to think it was the dogs nads, right down to the national anthems that played when you selected a team. The main graphics were typical 8-bit fare but the penalty kick graphics used to blow me away. Laughable to see them now:

186279-world-championship-soccer-sega-master-system-screenshot-penalty.png

Also here's a link where a guy from RPS waxes nostalgic about Sensi Soccer. It's a bit verbose but his heart's in the right place.

SWOS was the best football game of that generation, I did find the Amiga and PC versions to be awkward to play with the player running a different direction from the ball every time! On the SNES, it was odd that the easiest place to score from, by far, was the half way line, or just infront of it.

I have been part of projects in the past to unofficially update SWOS but due to other guys trying to change league systems and play off places and such, the game would usually crash at the end of a season. Which was a shame as I'd managed to stick the Villa 1982 team in a classic team selection which replaced the 'Custom' teams.

Which was a shame to cut out the custom teams at the same time, gone were teams like 'Dog Wednesday' and 'At The Chippy'. I did once turn one of the blank teams on PES2010 into the Chinese Take Away team!

Which was a shame to cut out the custom teams at the same time, gone were teams like 'Dog Wednesday' and 'At The Chippy'. I did once turn one of the blank teams on PES2010 into the Chinese Take Away team!
I remember those. In particular 'Old Dear's Menu' where the players all had names like 'Nice bit of pudding', 'Nice bit of Roast Beef', etc.

Custom names were great. I assume every lad had a team full of their mates from school with them as the best player. There was a formula for getting the real player names too, I think the first vowel of each name was rotated forwards by one (so "A" became "E" and "E" became "I" and so on) and I remember spending absolutely ages getting the entire Premier League right.

Having the wrong names was frustrating for me but I never bothered to fix 'em. Nogel Sponk always made me laugh.

I've also just remembered Sega World Wide Soccer 97 and Sega World League Soccer 98 on the Saturn. I may have only had the demos, I think, but I played the hell out of them. Seemed to have potential while still being horribly flawed in so many ways.

I was a Saturn owner too. World League Soccer was great fun, though I quickly figured out how to chip the keeper every time from inside the centre circle. Broke the game. There was a lot more of that in older football titles I feel.

ISS 98 probably has the biggest memory for me as it was one of the first games I owned onthe N64, which was the console I played the most. Blows my mind that that wasn't far from 15 years ago.

Also had FIFA 97 for ages on the PC but it was terrible.

Thought it was awesome at the time, but looking back it's so shit.

Sensi because it consumed my life.

European Club Soccer (Mega Drive) for the "Three Shredded Wheat" cheat code.

ISS (SNES) because it looked amazing.

Adidas Power Soccer because it was funny as ****.

This Is Football because it was brilliant.

Three Lions

Ah, I remember the god-awful "innovative new shooting system!". A big **** archery target in the goal that you could only see from certain camera angles.

Still, the "Hundred Mile High City" ad campaign they ran for the game was awesome.

Â