RIP Gary Speed

RussG

I think people who don't understand depression tend to look out for a reason that makes sense, rather than looking at it as an illness. People can be desperately depressed, but appear normal on the outset. They can eventually become so overwhelmed by the chemical imbalance that they end their life. It's why when you are depressed, even in the slightest, you should talk to your GP, as it can have a tendency to creep up on you and cause you to do something you never thought you would.

I'm not suggesting that I understand depression, but I think trying to find a fitting rumour such as a cheating wife, or homosexuality trivialises depression and belies an ignorance of what it's actually like to be depressed.

It's very rare that it is so black and white that a person gets some bad news and then goes on to kill themselves. It's usually going on for a long time. My reading of the Gary Speed death is that he was a highly functioning manic depressive that ended up losing his battle with depression.

Either that or he choked himself while masturbating

or he was about to be revealed as a gay, something which 'football' is way behind the times with and cannot handle. Factor in he is married with children means he might have thought suicide was the easiest way out. Just a theory that doesn't involve mental illness or depression.

IMO it's not depression at all. Somebody would have known, and somebody would have said. There would be no shame in someone stating that to the press. The silence about it all is deafening.

I personally think he was about to be exposed for being gay.

I have no evidence for this, other than the way i view the bloke.

• 1 month later...

Now there's a shock

The coroner at the inquest into the death of Wales manager Gary Speed has said he cannot be satisfied he intended to kill himself.

Speed's widow, Louise, said his job had put strain on their marriage and told how they had a row the night before he was found dead.

She later found his body hanging in the garage at their home near Chester.

The coroner said "the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental".

Louise Speed said she had gone for a drive after they had words when they returned from a dinner party, but she could not get back into the house.

Four days earlier Speed sent his wife a text talking "in terms of taking his life", but she said he had dismissed it because of their children.

She said the text referred to their "ups and downs" but also mentioned "how important the boys were" and about "moving forward".

Mrs Speed said he did not leave a note. Det Insp Peter Lawless said his computer and phone were checked for a note, and none was found.

His friend, the former England captain Alan Shearer, who was with him the day before he was found dead, said he had become aware there were issues between the couple.

Shearer, whose family went on holiday with the Speeds, said he told him such issues were normal in a long-standing relationship.

Shearer last saw him at lunchtime on the Saturday before he died, when Speed appeared on the BBC's Football Focus programme.

He said Speed - who played for a number of Premier League clubs, including Leeds, Newcastle, Everton, and Bolton - seemed fine and was laughing and joking.

He got the call with the news of his death the next day. "It just didn't and still doesn't make sense to me," said Shearer's statement.

He also said his friend did not seem worried about anything and told him he would call him the following Monday. He also said he seemed to be enjoying the Wales manager's job.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, if "the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental" it certainly makes you wonder what else he was trying to do that could possibly end up with him ending up the way he did. Unless he was doing a Hutchence*.

I know, they reckon Hutchence didn't even do a Hutchence anymore

surely people don't tend to have "one of those rows" that then results in them sending a text you the wife saying you may commit suicide

so maybe there were deeper psychological issues with Speed than people first thought , despite the lack of apparent evidence in his day to day encounters with people ....

All that article actually says is 'We dunno'.

The garage seems like an odd place to go for an asphyxiwank.

I dunno. Must be quite difficult for a father of two to stick a noose round his neck and crack one off. Where else would he do it? The living room?

"Not now dad we're watching corrie."

Hmmmm.

Â