Sepp Blatter: "No Racism, Let's Shake Hands"

maqroll

their has never been any proof Russia bribed people and this sort of allegation is proof of the sour grapes. England only got 1 vote and because they made good promotional video thought they won it.

plus all them countries hosted a major football tournament in last 30 years and Russia havent.

At least try and hide your anti-England agenda. :lol: I just said it doesn't bother me that England didn't get it.

Who cares if Russia haven't hosted it yet? Are we going to keep on going to more and more obscure countries to host one of the world's biggest sporting tournaments? By the looks of it, we are. Russia, Qatar. What next? Burkina Faso?

Burkina Faso is therefore too equipped to host a tournament. How about Somalia? Would not put it past FIFA having the tournament hosted there someday. Fist the bill perfectly. Poor facilities, no real interest in football, dangerous etc.

Graeme Hunter has said no mention of this in Spanish media and probably not in many other European countries. It seems the sour grapes from not winning World Cup was always going to make this a major topic in UK

Give it a rest Zatman.

The only sour grapes here is whatever chip you have on your shoulder about England.

Zatman in anti-English rant again.

Blatter should go based on what he has said, it's not his first major mistake and he is now a complete liability for the game

Gus Poyet should also be sacked following his comments this morning on TS. BHA have a big decision there to make.

As for racism around other countries, Spain is awful, I have seen it first hand and that is one of the reasons I so dislike Spanish football. Russia suffers massively from it not only at football but in all aspects of life, again I have seen it and it aint pretty. In Eastern Europe there is more acceptance of it to their shame than there is here in the west of Europe and little is done to prevent it, especially at football matches

he said that the word suarez is believed to have said isnt considered a racist remark in uruguay

shouldnt be sacked though IMO would be a complete overreaction, suarez wont be sacked for saying a racist remark but poyet gets sacked for defending him? makes no sense, shame really because he seems a nice guy and a decent manager

He's apologised...sort of...

Sepp Blatter says sorry for comments on racism

Page last updated at 09:39 GMT, Friday, 18 November 2011

Sepp Blatter has told the BBC he is sorry for causing offence with his controversial statements on racism.

The Fifa president appeared to suggest on Wednesday that racial discrimination could be settled with a handshake.

"It hurts and I am still hurting because I couldn't envisage such a reaction," said the 75-year-old Swiss.

Sepp Blatter: "To leave the organisation, this would be totally unfair."

"When you have done something which was not totally correct, I can only say I am sorry for all those people affected by my declarations."

Blatter insisted his "fight against racism and discrimination will go on" and said he would not resign, despite calls for him to quit by numerous British players, managers, administrators and politicians.

"I cannot resign," he told BBC sports editor David Bond in an exclusive interview. "Why should I?

"When you are faced with a problem you have to face the problem. To leave would be totally unfair and not compatible with my fighting spirit, my character, my energy."

Blatter admitted his comments had caused a "serious incident" and that he had used "unfortunate words" which he "deeply regretted".

He also said any players found guilty of racism on the pitch should be thrown out of the game.

"Zero tolerance," he said. "This was a good lesson for me as well."

Blatter's comments about racism, made earlier in the week, caused consternation in England.

Manchester United defender and former England captain Rio Ferdinand accused the Fifa president of "ignorance", while David Beckham described Blatter's remarks as "appalling".

Beckham added: "I don't think the comments were very good for this game. [Racism] can't be swept under the carpet and it can't be sorted out with just a handshake."

Blatter tried to clarify his stance when speaking to Fox Soccer on Thursday but his interview with the BBC is the clearest acknowledgement yet that his comments caused offence.

Tokyo Sexwale, the South African minister included in a photo with Blatter when Fifa put out a statement on Wednesday night saying the Swiss's comments had been misunderstood, commented: "It is important that such conduct [racism on the pitch] is rooted out from the field of play without any equivocation.

"Nevertheless I am satisfied to state that I had a telephone conversation with Mr Blatter [on Friday morning]. He indicated that he would be issuing a statement to apologise without any reservation. It takes a big man to say 'I'm sorry'. In Fifa we kick the football and not the man."

David Davies, a former acting chief executive of the Football Association (FA), said Blatter's apology was "fulsome" and thought it was the right thing to do.

"It's churlish not to welcome someone saying sorry for the offence they have caused," he said.

"He basically thinks that resigning would be weakness, though, and there are not calls from around the world for that to happen."

In his interview with the BBC, Blatter also addressed the recent poppy controversy involving the England national team.

The FA wanted to embroider a red poppy onto players' shirts for the friendly with world champions Spain to mark Remembrance Day.

But it was prevented from doing so by Fifa, which argued that such a move would set a dangerous precedent.

Asked whether he would apologise for any offence caused, Blatter said: "Yes, sure. If I had been informed on the first day of such a demand, I would have immediately said 'yes'. Full stop."

Not sure everyone will see this as a helpful contribution but I couldn't help thinking of this photo which has been doing the blogging amd messageboard rounds recently.

DarkieB-650x566.jpg

That's the Aston Villa "mascot" from the early '50s and it shows we were doing the handshake thingy long before Blatter became a blot on the landscape. :twisted:

Okay i'm not defending racism at all... but... i'm curious of your opinion.

If I was playing football, or walking down the street, or whatever.... and someone from a different race came up to me and said "You white bastard" ... i really don't think i'd be offended at all. Well, not by the "white" bit anyway... it's kinda true. I really wouldn't care.

Would you feel like you've been racially abused if that happened to you?

If you can't see the difference, I think you need to educated yourself on black history.

For what it's worth though yes I would be offended. I don't think using the colour of somebody's skin in a negative fashion should be acceptable anywhere, any time, by any race, creed or colour. But hey that's just me.

As for Sepp, when he says "leaving for this would be unfair", if it was an isolated incident then maybe. But how many times Sepp? Christ, I can't believe he's still knocking about. FIFA MUST have to answer to someone? European courts maybe??

Lol, sack Poyet for expressing an opinion? Some people are at total opposite ends of the spectrum yet just as out-of-touch as Blatter over the issue of racism in sport. Poyet's comments were puzzling, but it was essentially him questioning whether it was more of a misunderstanding than malice - not exactly a sack-able offence, particularly when he has been the best Brighton manager this millennium who is almost universally adored by every one of their fans.

He is the only man in the world more stubborn than that word removed O'Neill.

He will be going nowhere until he decides.

I'm wondering why you think O'Neill is a "word removed", when you stated in another thread that you "weren't around" when he was manager of Aston Villa. Why such strong words?

Following some people's logic this incident that has just happened to Eboue in Turkey can be solved by a shake of the hands or just an acceptance because that is what happens in that country and they have a good manager?

Racial abuse?

People like Poyet were asking for understanding for Suarez because his behaviour in other countries is acceptable there. In other words if you accept Racism in certain countries it's OK because it's the norm. What complete and utter nonsense!

Following some people's logic this incident that has just happened to Eboue in Turkey can be solved by a shake of the hands or just an acceptance because that is what happens in that country and they have a good manager?

Racial abuse?

People like Poyet were asking for understanding for Suarez because his behaviour in other countries is acceptable there. In other words if you accept Racism in certain countries it's OK because it's the norm. What complete and utter nonsense!

I agree with what you're saying, but I think the point is that it's much easier for you and I to avoid racism; we've both grown up in a society where racism is hugely frowned upon and infact, being unequivocally tolerant towards everything and everyone seems to be the 'in thing'.

Who's to say that if the pair of us both grew up in Paraguay that we'd hold the same values?

I think
pretty much sums up my feelings on all the recent race rows.

I think you must be confused.

I agree with the comedian. But there is a HUGE line to be drawn between being "offended" and being abused. Perhaps you need to learn the difference before you leave the house again.

Â