Sepp Blatter: "No Racism, Let's Shake Hands"

maqroll

i stand by my comment in general chat, i think a mixture of his poor english and the english hating him has led to this being blown out of proportion

Oh if it was anybody else this wouldnt be even mentioned or given a topic just because it is Sepp Blatter

finally the hand shake, as a poorly explained and zatman has suggested earlier, IMO things get said during a game that you can instantly regret, id rather the 2 players shook hands and sorted it between themselves, followed by the guilty party being rightly punished as opposed to trial by media and prefabricated apologies coming 3 weeks later, so again i see it as poor english with an agreeable point behind it

and from what ive seen and heard, no one else in world football cares

Sorry, but I don't agree with this bit.

Your first bit, fair enough. As I said in my original post, his first comment isn't really the issue (although I'm not entirely sure you can blame translation)

But I don't agree that players should just shake hands at the end and sort it out between themselves.

These incidents should be stamped out and if media exposure is what gets us there thween so be it.

Regardless, the head of FIFA should not be saying that things shoul dbe settled with a handshake.

And finally, your last point is completely irrelevant.

As I indicated before, if the rest of the footballing world doesn't care (which isn't true by the way) then we should be proud that we do.

im not saying settled, the governing bodies should still seek to stamp it out and punish those found guilty, but at the same time the likes of terry and suarez shouldnt need to be told by a governing body that they are guilty

they should shake hands apologise and then face the music, instead they will be caught, get punished and then try and apologise

blatter said that the players should shake hands, he never said they should shake hands and the matter will be done and dusted

Oh if it was anybody else this wouldnt be even mentioned or given a topic just because it is Sepp Blatter

No chance. If Scudamore came out with this you'd be loving every second of it.

Blatter is, as usual, wrong and making himself look a complete clown. To genuinly believe there is no problem with racism in football is laughable, especially after the the Fabregas/Suarez/Terry incidents of late. He's just an old man that's way out of touch in the real World.

Why should the players shake hands? If a player feels insulted and disrespected they should absoloutely not shake hands.

The head of FIFA shouldn't be bringing this much negative attention on himself or the sport as a whole.

im not saying settled, the governing bodies should still seek to stamp it out and punish those found guilty, but at the same time the likes of terry and suarez shouldnt need to be told by a governing body that they are guilty

they should shake hands apologise and then face the music, instead they will be caught, get punished and then try and apologise

blatter said that the players should shake hands, he never said they should shake hands and the matter will be done and dusted

I can see where you're coming from. I'm just not convinced that's what Blatter meant.

Blatter is, as usual, wrong and making himself look a complete clown. To genuinly believe there is no problem with racism in football is laughable, especially after the the Fabregas/Suarez/Terry incidents of late. He's just an old man that's way out of touch in the real World.

im obviously not stupid enough to deny racism doesnt exist in football, but i disagree with the terminology "problem" IMO there isnt a problem there have just been some major high profile cases in the last month, problem to me suggests that its getting out of hand / heading towards being uncontrollable, which isnt the case

compare racism in football to racism in society as a whole, its far far cleaner, even in the well known countries such as spain and russia

Problem, to me, means it's getting worse and happening on a more cosistant basis than it has been in the past. I don't even remember the last racism claim before the last month, yet there's been 2 very close to each other.

Judging by Blatter's comments in the past on other issues it's just as likely he's been misunderstood and doesn't see what the fuss is about racism, because he's so out of touch. That's just a likely as the way you feel he's been misunderstood, in my opinion.

On Blatter, the disgraceful thing i that he is in a position that makes these words more prominent. He should be nowhere near an office of this type
But Richard, how can you say that when you've never met the man in real life?

Graeme Hunter has said no mention of this in Spanish media and probably not in many other European countries. It seems the sour grapes from not winning World Cup was always going to make this a major topic in UK

Graeme Hunter has said no mention of this in Spanish media and probably not in many other European countries. It seems the sour grapes from not winning World Cup was always going to make this a major topic in UK
Come off it. Are we not allowed to dislike Blatter without being accused of sour grapes? His comment was ridiculous. Nothing to do with the World Cup.

Wonder how (if at all) the rest of the world have reacted to this?

My guess is that it won't have been front page news elsewhere.

Then we should be happy that we're better than them, imo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15772073.stm

The reaction is OTT for sure. I do want him to resign, badly, but this racism thing has been taken out of context. He is not preaching racial hatred or condoning division in sport.

It's silly for him to get involved and he hasn't chosen his words well, but it's not malicious, just clumsy and perhaps archaic.

I agree he isn't preaching racial hatred, those calling for his head on the basis of these comments don't seem to see how his track record on terms of punishing racist chanting (even though we always moan it's too little) and how he took the world cup to Africa and Asia (although we will moan about the huge commercial gains) it's pretty unprecedented how diverse football as a sport has become under blatter, even if to be fair it's by and large not his doing

for all the things thrown his way this is probably one of the easier ones for him to defend himself on

he doesn't understand racism in football yet took a world cup to south Africa? It's got no legs, he'll get alot of backing

The reason its not front page in spain is because they are a country that accepts racism in football. Sour grapes for not winning the World Cup? what a load of crap, our bid was by far the best and for it to go to Russia says it all really. Zatman in anti English shocker.

The reason its not front page in spain is because they are a country that accepts racism in football. Sour grapes for not winning the World Cup? what a load of crap, our bid was by far the best and for it to go to Russia says it all really. Zatman in anti English shocker.

Agreed. To be honest it didn't bother me much that we didn't get it - it's the fact that Russia, a country that was not as well equipped to host the World Cup than all the other hosts, won it. Also racism is pretty rife in Russian football.

Or maybe Russia got it because its the biggest country in the world and hasnt hosted a tournament yet. Also FIFA have a policy to give tournaments to nations who will leave a legacy for the future
More like, Russia got it because it paid the most bribe money. On footballing grounds, it's impossible to justify Russia getting the World Cup ahead of England, Spain & Portugal and Netherlands & Belgium.

their has never been any proof Russia bribed people and this sort of allegation is proof of the sour grapes. England only got 1 vote and because they made good promotional video thought they won it.

plus all them countries hosted a major football tournament in last 30 years and Russia havent.

Â