Negotiating rent

claret75

Charging 1.5-2% (Kent prices) to stick a picture of a house in a window, plonk it on a website and say "well I don't think the vendor will accept that" Means they deserve all the shit kickings they get.

Sounds about right, when you take into account all the costs involved, what would you expect to pay?. I am in the process of selling my house, I have no problem in paying my estate agent circa £4,000, i think they have earned it.

I saw a couple of places yesterday, the first agent hinted the landlord would probably be open to negotiation. The 2nd agent told insisted the flat wouldn't be going for anything less than advertised, but came down after a few minutes and was also happy to lower the fees :)

The only downside to the 2nd place is they want 3 months rent upfront on top of the deposit.

Charging 1.5-2% (Kent prices) to stick a picture of a house in a window, plonk it on a website and say "well I don't think the vendor will accept that" Means they deserve all the shit kickings they get.

Sounds about right, when you take into account all the costs involved, what would you expect to pay?. I am in the process of selling my house, I have no problem in paying my estate agent circa £4,000, i think they have earned it.

:shock:

Thats not working very hard though is it?

When we moved last year I had a load of them round to give quotes. Half of them came round with 20 min powerpoints telling me how they were going to sell the house and what they would do. They got told to piss off.

One woman wouldn't discuss her rates with me until I'd signed her contract. She got told to **** right off.

I asked them 3 questions.

1) Whats the house worth

2) What are you going to SELL it for - not advertise.... SELL it.

3) How much do you charge.

I negotiated with the agent I picked a 1% of sale fee. With an additional 0.5% for every 5k over MY asking price they sold the house for.

Then made the agents life a misery on a weekly basis with phone calls pushing them to push the house. Sold for 10k more than I thought I'd get away with and ended up an extra 5k better off.

Jobs a good un.

Then made the agents life a misery on a weekly basis with phone calls pushing them to push the house. Sold for 10k more than I thought I'd get away with and ended up an extra 5k better off.

and you have a problem with Estate agents for getting you £10,000 more than you thought you would get?

and you have a problem with Estate agents for getting you £10,000 more than you thought you would get?

When I have to put that much work in for a service I'm paying for.

Yes.

• 1 year later...

:shock:

Thats not working very hard though is it?

When we moved last year I had a load of them round to give quotes. Half of them came round with 20 min powerpoints telling me how they were going to sell the house and what they would do. They got told to piss off.

One woman wouldn't discuss her rates with me until I'd signed her contract. She got told to **** right off.

I asked them 3 questions.

1) Whats the house worth

2) What are you going to SELL it for - not advertise.... SELL it.

3) How much do you charge.

I negotiated with the agent I picked a 1% of sale fee. With an additional 0.5% for every 5k over MY asking price they sold the house for.

Jobs a good un.

Loving this. Very cool customer I see.

Â