Non-League Footy

hogso

It's sooo training ground, they let one of our players (Mo Mo) into the middle of the wall, he moves and they leave a man sized space unfilled. I'd love it if someone other than Franchise FC wins the league this year, I'd love it. (insert keegan gif)

That's the Manager helpfully coaching 'stay on side!'

• 1 month later...

@chrisp65 - Who were the 'Irate Eight'?

Was it Barry and Bangor who gave up English League status to join the LoW in '92? Or am I remembering it wrong?

Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Merthyr, and Newport County obviously (and Colwyn Bay then) all ended up staying in the English Pyramid IIRC.

Away day at Stadiwm Zip World in a few years then is it?

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

@chrisp65 - Who were the 'Irate Eight'?

Was it Barry and Bangor who gave up English League status to join the LoW in '92? Or am I remembering it wrong?

Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Merthyr, and Newport County obviously (and Colwyn Bay then) all ended up staying in the English Pyramid IIRC.

Away day at Stadiwm Zip World in a few years then is it?

Dirty Bangor

Barry

Caernarfon 

Colwyn Bay

Merthyr

Newport

Newtown

Rhyl

Just a typical blend of incompetence and dirty dealing by the FAW, Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham were exempt. Barry stuck it out as long as they could, playing home games in Bromsgrove but finances meant we had to give up and join the League of Wales eventually.

It was handled really really badly by the Welsh FA, I wrote a tiny circulation fanzine for a while called LoWlife which I regularly shoved through the FA letterbox as it had a few opinions about them I thought they might be interested in.

Personally, I'd welcome Colwyn in, they'll start a league or two down but with that chance of a euro pay day once in a while. But their current players and form could cause them to disappear into obscurity. They wouldn't get promotions with that current squad. They're getting crowds of 150, up the road Caernarfon get 1,000 Connah's Quay are in Europe and just came runners up in the Irn Bru Cup, TNS are full time pros and literally have millions in the bank, so financially they'll still struggle to compete.

• Thanks 1

Newtown makes sense. Rhyl and Caernarfon though, ok. I suppose Rhyl is obvious now you say it.

I guess with the facilities at Colwyn Bay they'll actually have a chance at promotions if they have to start off in the lower leagues and can get a team together.

I can't even begin to start to try and understand the tiering of the Welsh lower leagues. But having moved around a few smaller towns with teams below the Cymru Alliance it used to be that promotion was always a no go for many of them due to a lack of facilities etc. I remember Rhayader getting into the LoW at one point and a few years and a couple of relegations later went bust. These places are lucky to get 50 people through the gates.

Mid Wales leagues are dropping to tier 4 in 2 years time and splitting into east/west divisions (basically one for the Aberystwyth area and one for Powys). I also read recently that they will get financial support for any match where they travel over 110 miles. And this is on top of the Mid Wales league teams recently receiving a little under £100k in total to improve facilities. (To meet criteria for promotion)

But they are not going to be FAW affiliated any more and are going to be governed by the Central Wales FA, meaning English teams can apply and be accepted. In an area with geographical challenges allied to financial ones I think it's a really positive move and it's great to see some money trickling down to what is basically village level. Those 100 seats they are installing at some of these places will make a massive difference locally.

Not really looked at how the top 3 tiers are going to look. Assuming the WPL and Cymru Alliance/WFL1 stay at tier 1 and 2. The South Wales side of things in the WFL structure is pretty well established and fairly simple to get your head around. The Central and North side of things that feed the Cymru Alliance has always confused me.

Trouble at both FA trophy semi finals last weekend. Fighting at both, especially before & after Telford.  People on the pitch shoving players at Stockport/Fylde & people racially abusing players & throwing coins at Telford/Orient.

All of this crap is just going to lead to some sort of mesh/fences around the pitch and will further hurt any chance of standing returning to the top levels of football.

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Trouble at both FA trophy semi finals last weekend. Fighting at both, especially before & after Telford.  People on the pitch shoving players at Stockport/Fylde & people racially abusing players & throwing coins at Telford/Orient.

All of this crap is just going to lead to some sort of mesh/fences around the pitch and will further hurt any chance of standing returning to the top levels of football.

I went to a non league game at Stockport a couple of years ago and I was with the away fans. After the game the Stockport fans were waiting outside for the away fans... huge police presence and police horses had to separate the fans!

Luxury.

we used to have to eat a handful of cold gravel......etc

Margam footballer guilty of hitting 11 boys with car

A footballer has been convicted of using his car as a "one tonne weapon" to "knock down spectators like skittles" after his team lost a match. Lee Taylor drove his BMW into 11 rival supporters, some as young as 14, after his side lost 5-0. The 36-year-old Margam player "lost his temper" and drove into the victims after a game in Cornelly, Bridgend county, on 19 April 2018.

Taylor, from Port Talbot, will be sentenced in April. A jury found him guilty of dangerous driving and 11 counts of attempting to do grievous bodily harm with intent.

He claimed he was trying to escape the teenagers when he got into his car after they called him "fatty". Taylor claimed he did not know he had hit the boys until the police arrested him later that day

_106210747_dronelee.png

*The tyre marks on the pitch from Lee Taylor's BMW after he drove into the group of teenagers - and his windscreen after the incident *

He told the court he was trying to break up a confrontation between a Margam teammate and 15 to 20 young supporters of rivals Cornelly United outside the changing rooms when the group turned on him.

But Christopher Rees, prosecuting, said Taylor "got into his car to drive at the youths because he lost his temper".

Some of the boys were thrown up into the air and it was only by "sheer good fortune" none suffered injuries worse than cuts and bruising, he added.

"It was an attack that was out of all proportion to the playground nonsense that happened beforehand."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47732663

Didn't know :blink:

Young footballers are following in the footsteps of their Premier League heroes by being immortalised in a sticker book. Players from Newport Corinthians are used to collecting Aaron Ramsey or Harry Kane for their albums. But they are now set to star in their own book, featuring 150 stickers of players and coaches from junior sides.

"It is about making sure everybody feels like they are part of something," said club treasurer Richard Morgan.

Mr Morgan said the five to 16-year-olds were really excited to get their hands on the albums, which are personalised to each player.

"Children really enjoy trading cards so it is great for them to be featured," he said.

Players could find themselves shooting for goal, passing the ball, pulling off tackles or simply posing for the camera. About 200 books will be sold to club members and family at a launch event on Thursday night. Sticker packs of six will be on sale at £1.20 for players to fill their books and trade with teammates. Funds raised will go to cover the cost of making the album.

Mr Morgan believes the club is the first in Wales to launch its own album and hopes other teams will follow in its footsteps.The idea to create the sticker book was inspired by another amateur football team in Manchester, which used Spanish company Cromogal to print their own album.Newport Corinthians' junior teams play in the Newport District Junior Youth League.The club has two senior sides that are not featured in the album, but Mr Morgan is keen to get them involved next time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47812150

• Like 1

Six years ago, my local club which had been owned by an individual with 'issues' was pulled out of the league by that owner. Appointed himself Club Secretary, phoned up the FA and resigned the club from the league and the pyramid structure. The League wrongly accepted the instruction and scrubbed us with 2 games of the season left to play.

That summer the fans took the FAW to court and won. The FAW were made to reinstate the now fan owned club. But demoted them to the bottom of the pyramid. 

2015, 16 and 17 saw us promoted, promoted and promoted again. 

2018 A solid mid table first year back in the Welsh prem.

2019, April 6th, Qualified for the Europa League preliminaries.

The Europa League preliminary round is £170,000 prize money. That's getting 30 staff flown across europe, some new seats, fix the pitch, a fat bonus for players that have played for the love of it AND almost a season of wages sorted before a turnstile goes click or advertising board gets sold.

My only fear, is this actually changes the dynamic of the club. It'll potentially be more difficult to attract volunteers to a club earning 6 figure prize money. It'll certainly be much harder to get players to play for boot money. Which then means you need to win again to sustain it all. A tricky balancing act coming down the line for us.

For now, everyone's very excited for June and finding out what other outpost minnow of european football we're drawn against. I'm hoping for somewhere fairly accessible to be honest. Something like Luxembourg would mean we can organise a couple of buses and get a new generation to experience an away fixture in europe. 

Now Villa on an unbeaten run and in the play offs and it's all coming together at the right time. I'm feeling a bit different about footy now than I was a couple of years back! Bloody brilliant game.

edit: also worth mentioning there were players on that pitch yesterday, qualifying for europe, that six years ago refused to sign for other clubs during the summer we didn't have a club. When we were going through the courts, the players stuck with it. When we got put in the 3rd Division, they chipped in to buy football kit and sorted their own insurance. Absolute class.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Â