Lil' bit of advice, please?

trekka

Hi all, sorry for the cryptic title but as I've just posted in the "weekend" thread, I found out yesterday that I'm going to be having someone staying with me whom I don't really know, and in quite difficult circumstances.

A good mate is due in Hammersmith Hospital on Monday for high-dose chemo. He has beat his illness once but things aren't looking good at the moment. His girlfriend is desperate to stay with him so I've volunteered my bedroom in the flat (I'll take the sofa) to get her head down and maybe live with someone for a while she could trust (they're from Wales so would be difficult for her to visit him otherwise).

I'm just unsure as to what I should or should not be doing. I've only met her a few times but want to try to make things as normal as possible. I'm off back to Portsmouth tomorrow to get spare clean bedding etc (I live in Portsmouth but the London flat is paid for by work) but other than that, I'm not really sure what I could be doing to make things easier whilst she's here.

Any advice? Thanks.

how long is she going to be there?

I guess just judge how she is feeling as she may want space too or may want company.

Probably try to take her mind of things as well whether that be box sets of dvds or whatever.

Thanks.

It looks like 2 weeks, then a break when he should be able to recuperate in Wales and then probably back just after Christmas.

I guess I'm nervous as I don't really know her and this flat is really very small. Methinks I should invest in another Wii controller/mote.

If you have milk, teabags, coffee, sugar, loo roll, bread, butter, humous/cheese, cornflakes, vodka, coke, delivery menus, and maybe an oyster card along with your clean bedding you've done her proud.

An A to Z used to be essential, but not so much these days.

If you have milk, teabags, coffee, sugar, loo roll, bread, butter, humous/cheese, cornflakes, vodka, coke, delivery menus, and maybe an oyster card along with your clean bedding you've done her proud.

An A to Z used to be essential, but not so much these days.

An Oyster card is a good one - she'll likely be travelling from Ruislip (my flat) to central London everyday. Ta.

Aye, well I've told her to bring her laptop. My laptop is passworded :)

I've warned her that I don't have much here (2 forks, 2 knives, 2 spoons...the rest is in Portsmouth, although I should really pick up more tomorrow!) but if I can sort of help them get through it, then I'm happy. I just need ideas to pass the time I think, help her get her mind off things and probably to give her good things to talk about when she visits my mate in hospital. Hmmm.

Just be there for them both Trekka and play it by ear. If she wants to talk listen... if she wants to cry, cry with her

but if she needs space give it to her.

I'm sure you'll do a good job, the fact that you're worrying about it all shows you care and they'll know that.

Making endless cups of tea and trying to make people laugh seems to be the order of the day in crisis times.

(Had two friends die young of ovarian cancer within the last few weeks, so I really hope he beats it)

Aye, well I've told her to bring her laptop. My laptop is passworded :)

I've warned her that I don't have much here (2 forks, 2 knives, 2 spoons...the rest is in Portsmouth, although I should really pick up more tomorrow!) but if I can sort of help them get through it, then I'm happy. I just need ideas to pass the time I think, help her get her mind off things and probably to give her good things to talk about when she visits my mate in hospital. Hmmm.

mate if you want cheap stuff check out MSE forums as you can get loads of stuff for 4p.

if you don't mind Toy Story knives and Forks....

Vaccuum and clean down your room

Check under the bed etc

Get some herbal tea in, possibly a copy of OK Magazine for the coffee table

Bring a few board games up - scrabble,monopoly,maybe Twister ?

Thanks very much, all, I'm relatively content now. I've bought back a few essentials and I'll do a bit of shopping tomorrow.

Cheers for all of your help, time to relax now methinks with a few vodkas and coke :)

Â