Train travel to Bolton

Mammoth10

For anyone travelling from Birmingham looking to purchase advance tickets through the trainline here's a bit of advice to possibly make you a bit of a saving (subject to availability of course)

For advance fares to Horwich Parkway the site will automatically select your route to be via Manchester/Stockport - currently the cheapest fares are £14 outward, £12 return and there are only limited travel times for these.

The alternative I'd suggest looking at is Birmingham to Wigan - currently several times available at £7 each way. Then Wigan to Horwich on a £3.40 day return which will save about £9 in total.....as stated these are subject to availability so don't shoot the messenger!

Cheers for this.

I really like going early and heading into Manchester for a few drinks first, which will cost about £20 + £6 to Horwich parkway so this doesn't have save a bit but that would mean having to go later and straight to The Beehive.

Very fond memories of the train journey for the match last season. A young chap goin absoloustley bonkers on the train out of Horwich, hitting the emergency stop thing, and sending everyone flying as the train ground to a very sudden halt. Good times

Those who don't want to be restricted to a certain train can split their tickets at Stafford, Stoke and Manchester to save about £11. To save £12 you can split at Stafford, Stoke & Stockport.

Run me through this please.. it sounds confusing.

Sorry, only just spotted this! Basically if you were to buy your train tickets as follows......

Solihull (Example - Any station outside of Birmingham will work the same) to Stafford Day Return

Stafford to Stoke On Trent Day Return

Stoke On Trent to Manchester Day Return

Manchester to Horwich Parkway Day Return

You will save money.

Split ticketing works for any games except London games. It takes about an extra 3 or 4 minutes to order them all at your starting station, but can save you a lot. The only restriction you have is that the trains you are on have to stop at each station you have a ticket for. Therefore, your train from Birmingham to Manchester must stop at Stafford & Stoke, which most if not all do, just check before your board. A lot cheaper than buying say Solihull to Horwich Parkway - check yourself on National Rail if you like.

Saved £22 on way up to Sunderland.

• 2 weeks later...
booked my train tickets be in wigan for 940, any1 else on 820 train from birmingham

Ditto. Was planning to go to Manchester but its more expensive than Wigan this year so going that way.

Have to walk to the other Wigan train station and then going straight to Bolton as I presume theres **** all in Wigan, have to wait about an hour for the next train too.

gonna try find wetherspoons in wigan

We're on the 10.20 from New St, in response to the above though the Wetherspoons is straight up the main road as you come out of the train station, about 400 yards. Additioanlly before you even get to Wetherspoons there are about 4/5 other (decent) pubs on the way up.

Â