England v Spain Freindly

andykeenan

Alan Green on radio 5 just said darren bent is not good enough for international football and wellbeck is better. Can I have your thoughts on that please?

Alan Green is a prick. He is the kind of guy who would complain he preferred blondes if Katy Perry offered to suck his cock, its almost like he trades on being a grumpy old man. He is also so far up Manchester United's arse it is unbelievable, I listen to a lot of Radio 5 and I think I hear Alan Green mention he lives in the same village (Prestbury) as Sir Alex at least once a month and this 'feud' between them seems entirely manufactured by Green for publicity as it lasted about the same amount of time as Ferguson chose not to speak to the BBC, for whom Green works.

To the Darren Bent/Wellbeck thing? Well, Bent isnt the type of player who appears on highlights reels too often but his form for England in 2011 has been good. He is the top goalscorer for England in 2011/12 and it was his header today which resulted in the England goal. TV replays suggest that it would have gone in anyway even if Lampard hadnt helped it over the line. Bent might not be first choice if everybody is fit and in form but then neither is Wellbeck. Wellbeck will get a lot of England caps in the coming years, but until he is first choice at Manchester United then I wouldnt have him starting for England.

Welbeck was far more exciting than bent simple as

but that comment is conpletely void of how bad England played 1st half, which was as bad IMO as you will ever see England play

Someone said to me bent touched the ball all of 3 times before setting up englands goal, not understanding the irony of his comment that is darren bent, welbeck looked great during englands best spell, bent set up a goal during the worst I have ever seen us play

the sun will say welbeck was better but 1st half could have made anyone look shit

Alan Green on radio 5 just said darren bent is not good enough for international football and wellbeck is better. Can I have your thoughts on that please?

One word: Goals.

Good win for England, although Spain might have been the better team it's still no mean feat to beat them and not many countries do...Euro's/World Cup definately going to be a stroll in the park now.

Cue mass hysteria
Cue people talking about mass hysteria more like. Seems every time England do anything remotely good there's a hoard of people going on about England will be hyped up and installed as favourites for the next major competition, when in actual fact pretty much everyone excepts that it's not likely we'll win the Euros.

England fans aren't allowed to be positive, or even realistic, without being called deluded and being accused of hyping up the England team.

Spot on, Mantis.

It's like we're not even allowed to be happy about it. We didn't play particularly well or make many chances, but we had our best 2 attacking players out and to be honest it was largely a reserve side. You'd expect our backups to get beaten by what was pretty much Spains first XI. But they defended well, did their job and nicked a goal.

It's not the fans, it's the media who will get carried away with this and think the euros us already as good as in the bag

We've seen it before and again it will end in disappointment without doubt

Here's my take on Saturday's game.

We played well.

There, I said it. Everyone's been saying "we were still shit, we just got lucky because we defended well"

We were playing Spain! They are, I wouldn't even say arguably, the best team in the world.

We were never going to go out and dominate them. The gameplan should have been to defend well, pressure the ball and hope to catch them on the break. Which we did.

No we weren't good in posession, but again it was Spain. No-one is good in possession against them.

Admittedly First Half England did get dominated, but again we defended well and made sure we weren't punished for it. Second half, going forward, we were much better.

I'm not saying we're better than Spain, we're not. I'm not saying we're going to win the Euros, we're not.

But Saturday was a good performance. That's how you beat Spain. Credit where it's due.

First time we've beaten world champions since 1980 and first time we've ever beaten a team ranked number 1 in the world.

We shouldn't get carried away, but we have every right to be happy about Saturday's game. If Villa beat United 1-0 we'd be happy about it.

Standout performers were Parker and Lescott, both brilliant.

Oh and as for Wellbeck vs Bent.

No doubt Wellbeck was good. But I'd say the main reason he looked so lively when he came on was just being fresher. Everyone else had been chasing Spain around the pitch for an hour.

Am I the only person who finds Spain exceptionally boring to watch? They are one of the great sides in the history of international football, but they are probably the least entertaining 'great side' I've seen in my lifetime. Yes its technically brilliant, but its also like watching a game of chess at times.

How can any team play Busquets, Xavi and Alonso at the same time ffs?

its a 2 way street though isnt it? if we'd have gone hell for leather, full of pace it would have been a brilliant exciting game that we lost heavily, so instead the only tactic you can use is to kill the game, stand off them let them have the ball but at the same time make them do something special

id say utd started it in the CL semi final a few years back when the only thing they did of any note in 180 minutes of football was have scholes stick one in the top corner, mourinho has obviously taken it to a whole new level, milan did it at the nou camp in the CL this year defended really well and still conceeded 2

i think spain will **** it up at the euros, my money is on ze germans

Am I the only person who finds Spain exceptionally boring to watch? They are one of the great sides in the history of international football, but they are probably the least entertaining 'great side' I've seen in my lifetime. Yes its technically brilliant, but its also like watching a game of chess at times.

How can any team play Busquets, Xavi and Alonso at the same time ffs?

I find barca playing good teams boring for the same reason. They have so much possession but they hardly try to score with it.

Good result and a good 'team' performance. England have individual talent and can play as a unit which makes us a strong team, I'm not saying we can win it but we have a chance.

Luck plays a huge part of tournament football and England have had none in my living memory so who knows.

Lescott played very well, but I'd agree that Parker was immense.

I thought Bent did well with the goal and Ramos should've seen red for a two-footed challenge.

Who needs Shrek, eh?

Am I the only person who finds Spain exceptionally boring to watch?

Its their tactic and is brilliant and works well as they tire teams and score lots of late goals. Its no great btu works well.

A lot better to watch than the stuff we tried last year under GH

Â