the VT ultimate zombie apocalypse survival plan

kidlewis

That's the problem, isn't it? Other people are unpredictable in these situations. Get the **** away from them is my advice, hit the road/country and make to somewhere isolated with enough tools (some Ray Mears handbooks too!) to aid your transition from lazy urbanite to a man at one with the land.

The last thing you want is a group of people turning into fundamentalists on you, being at each others throats while you are putting together a stew.

Step 1 - go to travis Perkins get some 140mm blocks

Step 2 - go to comet get me the biggest 3d tv on the go plus some games

Step 3 - go to tescos and tin peach me up

1 wall at the bottom of my stairs, load of shit on the stairs, another wall at the top, 3 bedrooms one bathroom, I'll be fine for at least 6 months

CED,

whilst I agree with your sentiments, I think it would be wise to group together and not split up. especially if we have a plan we've all agreed one, we know the "rules" per say.

plus as a group with the same ideals, rules and interests it would put you on the road to those crucial first 72 hours.

if we say got somewhere like warwick castle under our control then we will pretty much survive the zombie infestation.

I don't think there is a better option than it tbh. if any of you have been there recently the armour and swords and pike forks etc in there is awesome. you'd be tooled up for melee easily.

at least 50-100 melee weapons, probably more. also the greatest survival clothing for zombies, that is chainmail.

they'd never bite you.

I'd head to the Tan Hill pub, which is the highest pub in England, Isolated, only one road, up hill, plenty of farms around for food, plus the opportunity to drink my self to death, if it all gets on top.

By the way, are we talking Romero Zombies or Danny Boyle Zombies?

If it's the latter then some firepower would probably be needed. Easy enough to find in Americaland, not so much over here.

Walking dead zombies

I'd let myself get bitten and join the party .

Ooh, the pro-active approach. "It's a bad situation, so I'll make the best of it". Kudos, sir. Your cheery outlook might make me rethink my desire to "survive". After all, shambling around all day just eating sounds like a pretty good life.

I'd let myself get bitten and join the party .

Ooh, the pro-active approach. "It's a bad situation, so I'll make the best of it". Kudos, sir. Your cheery outlook might make me rethink my desire to "survive". After all, shambling round all day just eating sounds like a pretty good life.

Well the way I see it is you would be a bag of nerves 24/7 trying to avoid them so I'd take the lazy option. As you say they just mong out and eat all the time...It would be akin to being an Italian .

It would be vitally important for those remaining to re populate the planet.

It would be incumbent upon all of us to ensure the maximum number of children are produced to get back up to a size of population that could be economically viable beyond simple hunter gathering.

I reckon it'd be a good few months before my absent minded neglect to mention my vasectomy got me assigned to other duties.

So I like to be reasonably prepared for disaster, I guess living in a place where bad shit is likely to happen drives you to be aware of potential pitfalls. In NYC a range of things can happen. In terms of weather on the Atlantic seaboard can be and are subject to Tidal Waves, Hurricanes, Blizzards and the possibility of prolonged drought. This was hammered home in recent months as my apartment building boarded on the evacuation zone for Hurricane Katrina and an addition 6 inches of tidal surge that day would have flooded the basement rendering the building without power, water and sanitation. For the storm we decided to shelter in place and as it turned out that was the right decision. However we were prepared, I had grab bags at the ready with basic supplies, hard cash and important documents. In the event that the foundations became undermined and we would never be allowed back into the building at least we would only have lost replaceable things.

Now to be fair weather conditions are not the only threat you face living in midtown Manhattan most prominent is obviously terrorism. Now with a terrorist threat you just have to live with it since there's **** all you can do other than maybe minimise risks by taking transit at off peak hours, avoiding especially risk prone areas or joining the bad guys. In terms of threat impact a conventional bomb can get you anywhere at any time, risks of exposure to chemical, biological and radiological agents is even more alarming but unless you walk around in a airtight lead bubble bugger all you can do.

I do however prepare for the unexpected. As mentioned previously I have a pair of grab bags in case we need to get the **** out, they have adequate food, water, shelter and tools for a couple of days traveling on foot with which we could make it to the Canadian border or at least into the hills of Vermont and New Hampshire. A couple of emergencies would drive me to pack up and leave a major period of civil unrest or epidemic would be right at the top of the list times when it would be far from ideal to stay in a heavily populated area. It is also likely that an epidemic would lead to a major civil disturbance which on a certain scale could be comparable to a zombie apocalypse. Granted hordes of the undead stalking the streets hungry for brains would certainly raise the odds.

Anyway to address the original points:

1. how do you get your loved ones together

Thankfully with no kids yet in tow it'll be just me and the missus. While less resourceful she wouldn't be entirely useless in a showdown with Zombies, she definitely has better cardio and dexterity than myself. Additionally she is less squeamish than most other females so I expect she could keep her cool. We already have it determined that in the event of any crisis our rendezvous point is the apartment. In the event that we cannot make it there (forced evacuation of the island) we have a secondary meeting place predetermined.

2. location

If I had my way I'd nip down the docks, commandeer a massive cruise ship and run it aground on one of the many uninhabited islands in New York harbor where I'd spend the next couple of years playing backgammon on the sun deck and consuming the considerable quantity of food and water aboard while the undead simply rot in the streets. Unfortunately I have no idea how to sail a cruise ship so that is probably out of the question.

The more likely escape route is much less ambitious but far more dangerous. It involves following the Hudson river Greenway 200 miles north to a sparsely populated area in upstate New York before crossing over into Vermont. It's quite the hike but would be expedited through commandeering bicycles, dirtbikes or ATV's. The intended path consists of a number of walking trails that quickly direct you away from populated areas and the congested roads most people would attempt to flee on. A good path to avoid people and property is to follow high tension power transmission cables, the land is cleared and they usually track around settlements.

The initial destination would be my inlaws place in rural Vermont, granted I cannot stand my mother in law at least there we would have ready access to food, water, shelter and community. The locals tend to by hippyish and self sufficient in nature so there would be alternative energy sources not to mention recreational drugs.

3. food, clothes and water

Our grab bags have a good stock of supplies in the form of freeze dried food and water, more can be scavenged en route with food becoming more abundant as we get into rural areas.

4. weapons

No guns, unfortunately NYC law makes it difficult, my grab bag contains a **** huge multi purpose Machete but I would supplement it with some heavy blunt objects easily scavenged during the escape and once we leave the city behind we'll be tripping over guns and ammo. I'm not too shabby at archery at least when I was in school so one of my objectives would be to arm up like Robin Hood as early as possible.

5. transport

I don't have a car, I have access to cars but even so no way would I use one to flee as the risk of getting bottlenecked in an urban area is far too great, as is the access to fuel. I'll instead be thinking old fashioned and covering ground where possible by bicycle. Bikes don't need fuel, can be carried over obstacles and barricades, are fast enough to outrun most breeds of zombie, replacements and parts can easily be found and are also relatively quiet.

6. anything else.

In a **** world scenario, it's not going to be the strongest who survive, more likely the true survivors would be those who are the fastest to accept the old rules no longer apply. In order to survive I fancy I could do many things that in the stable world would be considered wrong or barbaric. I'd have no problem picking up a Ginger child and using them as a weapon to beat back the herd. Likewise if it comes down to starving or eating human flash, I'd likely have an appetite to match the zombies. One thing that does concern me is our reliance on medication, without a supply of fresh meds we will quickly become susceptible to infection and illness other than the zombie plague. It would be a pity to survive the apocalypse only to cecum to a dose of bronchitis.

I like to think that living on a small island we'd be able to hold out for longer than you city dwellers. My plan would be to hijack a decent sized yacht, cram it full of bottled water, vitamin tablets and tinned food and just sail around offshore. I also think it's important to start hoarding food way in advance of the actual apocalypse, as the minute there's any sort of civil trouble people start panic buying. I almost got punched in the head once in Asda during the petrol strike a few years back when loaves of bread were being bought up at a ridiculous rate.

I've considered this far too seriously. You're all weird!

Â