Could Noah's Ark hold all the animals?

steaknchips

Brumerican, all your questions can be answered.

ques.....How did the human species evolve into the various races we see today in 6-10,000 years ?

answ......The different races came from the descendants of Noah. It does not take long for genetic traits to become dominant based upon geographical location. Take, for example, people who would live in Africa where the sun is very direct and there's not as much cloud cover. People with darker skin would survive better because they would not be sunburned and develop skin cancer the way lighter skinned people would.

On the other hand, people in the northern regions, where the sunlight is less direct, would need more vitamin D which is produced by the sunlight hitting the skin. Vitamin D prevents rickets, which is the softening of bones which can lead to fractures and breaks. But people with darker skin in more northern, colder climates would not be able to produce as much vitamin D, and so they would not do as well as people with lighter skin.

The descendents of Noah had all the genetic material necessary to produce the various so-called races as they moved out across the land and went to different locations. Given enough time, those genetic traits that manifested and aided in survivability became dominant, and those genetic traits that manifested but did not help survivability were eventually wiped out.

Please note that CARM does not affirm the theory of evolution which states that people evolved from lower life forms. But God, in his great wisdom, provided enough genetic information in our genes to aid us in adapting to various needs

ques....how can the Abrahamic God be a standard for morality, when he willingly murdered innocent babies via drowning ?

answ....In Genesis 6, God’s judgment upon the world at large is found in these words: “The Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them”" (Gen. 6:7). While the universal flood certainly seems extreme on the surface, there are a number of factors that should be kept in mind.

First, the Bible makes it clear that violence and evil had grown to be extremely pervasive so that it literally touched everything and everyone that existed at that time. Genesis 6:5 states: “Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.” The author of the Pentateuch indicates that some of the sin was sexual in nature (cf. Gen. 6:1-2), and that the evil permeated and filled the earth. This erases the argument that God drowned ‘innocent’ people in the flood that He brought.

Next, during the construction of the ark, which lasted at least 100 years, Noah is described as a ‘preacher of righteousness’ (cf. 2 Pet. 2:5) to the people around him. This means the people had 100 or so years to listen to the message of Noah and repent of the sin that was bringing the flood waters upon them. So in the end, we find God using His messenger to proclaim the truth of repentance and judgment before a fully corrupt culture that refused to be moved even after 100 years of being exposed to it. And we find God’s mercy being displayed on the one family who followed and obeyed what God had commanded.

Other answers can be found on this site; http://carm.org/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because God knows what will happen doesn't mean that the person (or angel) isn't free to make choices.
You do realise that what you've just said is a logical absurdity? How in the name of Zeus' butthole can free-will and determinism work at the same time?

Still waiting. :)

I do have a question for anyone who believes in religion and the bible etc, but it's slightly off topic but i'll ask anyway....

As a vegetarian, i've always believed that we as humans are no better then any other animal, it is only intelligence and being able to think past our own deaths that separate us. So to anyone who believes in religion, do you believe that when you go to McDonalds and eat a burger, the cow that got killed has also gone to it's own cow heaven? Will it also be judged for the life it's had? .... Also, when you walk down the road and accidentally stamp on a snail, do you pray for it and hope that that goes to snail-heaven too? Or is it that we as humans are just "special" and it's only us who get's judged and put in either heaven or hell?

I do have a question for anyone who believes in religion and the bible etc, but it's slightly off topic but i'll ask anyway....

As a vegetarian, i've always believed that we as humans are no better then any other animal, it is only intelligence and being able to think past our own deaths that separate us. So to anyone who believes in religion, do you believe that when you go to McDonalds and eat a burger, the cow that got killed has also gone to it's own cow heaven? Will it also be judged for the life it's had? .... Also, when you walk down the road and accidentally stamp on a snail, do you pray for it and hope that that goes to snail-heaven too? Or is it that we as humans are just "special" and it's only us who get's judged and put in either heaven or hell?

Since the Bible has nothing to say about dogs and cats going to heaven, a philosophical approach will be necessary to answer this question. While it is clear in Scripture that humans are a unity of material and immaterial parts (2 Cor. 5:8), no such thing is said about animals. We must work from what we know of humans and animals through experience. The major factor that separates humans and animals is their ability to reason. Both have the same senses and both have awareness of their surroundings, but only humans think rationally, using logic. Humans can analyze data; animals can only perceive. Animals can be conditioned; humans can be taught ideas.

Why is this important? It illustrates the difference between the merely physical phenomenon of perception and the immateriality of reasoning. No scientist has been able to discover any link between the physical matter of the brain and immaterial thought. In fact, it would be impossible to do so since science can only study physical phenomena. Immaterial substances are outside of the scope of science. Animals can be explained purely in material terms, whereas humans cannot since they possess minds, not merely brains that receive.

If, then, humans are found to have immaterial minds, then a part of them exists apart from the body and may be capable of surviving death. On the other hand, if an animal dies there is nothing left of it to survive. Once life has left the matter of the animal’s body, it ceases to be a living thing altogether, and becomes merely a carcass. So, it would seem that, barring any other evidence suggesting that there is an immaterial aspect to animals, they do not go to heaven (that is, the heaven which exists now).

Having established all of this, there is good reason to believe that there will be animals in the new earth (Is. 65:17,25), which will be the eternal home of those who are saved (Rev. 21:1, 22:5). This will be a very physical place lived in by physical people with resurrected bodies, enjoying the material pleasures of the new earth (Rev. 20:4, 1 Cor. 15:20-22, Is. 65:21-22). If no form (mind or soul) remains which may be reunited to matter (a body), then animals which formerly died won’t be resurrected either. If my reasoning thus far is correct, then only new animals will be made by God. Ultimately, everything that you love about your dog or cat is found in an infinitely more perfect form in God Himself, and He will be all you need and all you ever desired. If you are without any loved one (including animals) in the new heavens and earth, you will not feel any lack, because God Himself will fill every desire of your heart perfectly as the source of all good things you seek.

http://carm.org/animals-heaven

Pretty much everyone thats replied to you here to, lets say 'critique' the nonsense Google told you has researched both sides of the fence, and the side you purport to stand on don't have any of them there answers, or at least not ones that stand up to scrutiny that children could put forward. Certainly Brumerican, mjmooney, Michelson, GarethRDR, tonyh29 and myself have done.

As I said... pack it in.

WHAT is it that possesses otherwise perfectly intelligent people (the fine and estimable Julie being a prime example), when involved with religion to completely take leave of their senses in such a way?

It truly intrigues and bewilders me.

Because I've always questioned things and when you look into matters they are not always as they seem.

You are absolutely spot on about the Churches in the Middle Ages savaging people who questioned their teachings and where they came from, which actually had nothing to do mostly with the Bible and Christian teachings.

Each and every day the more archaeologists dig up, the more they find that doesn't fit the standard model. There is more and more evidence coming to the fore of a global, highly advanced civilisation that suddenly came to an abrupt end. If anyone wishes to dismiss it all as rubbish, then fine that is their perrogative. I really don't give a monkey's backside and what's more I'm not going to argue about it.

Thank you for the compliment BTW Mike

Pretty much everyone thats replied to you here to, lets say 'critique' the nonsense Google told you has researched both sides of the fence, and the side you purport to stand on don't have any of them there answers, or at least not ones that stand up to scrutiny that children could put forward. Certainly Brumerican, mjmooney, Michelson, GarethRDR, tonyh29 and myself have done.

As I said... pack it in.

Chindie there are answers to all your questions on the web link I posted...They are not new questions and have all been asked and answered before.. :winkold:

In fact, it would be impossible to do so since science can only study physical phenomena. Immaterial substances are outside of the scope of science. Animals can be explained purely in material terms, whereas humans cannot since they possess minds, not merely brains that receive.

This just shows how little research you have done.

Every thought you have is the result of a physical action , i.e. chemical reactions in your physical brain .

Your mind and your body are not two different entities . One is in charge of the other and it certainly isn't the mind.

Neuroscience.....I suggest you "research" it . It also puts to bed the silly notion that humans are in control of ourselves and that we have free will.

Everything you do and think about is dictated by your physical brain .

There is no metaphysical "you" who controls your brain .

Since the Bible has nothing to say about dogs and cats going to heaven, a philosophical blah blah blah

Sorry was after an actual opinion, i can type to google myself :winkold: