Could Noah's Ark hold all the animals?

steaknchips

This thread is fun.

It didn't happen. Case closed. Let's move on.

Because you said so? How small and narrow minded..I suppose because you didnt see it, you dont believe it.

Whereas, you read it in a book of myths and legends from thousands of years ago, and accept it lock, stock and barrel?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to remember when 'Off Topic' was safe from the insane (apart from Gareth) creatures that lurk the main forum...
Ah come on, the fruitcake religion threads are one of the most entertaining things about OT.

I used to remember when 'Off Topic' was safe from the insane (apart from Gareth) creatures that lurk the main forum...
Ah come on, the fruitcake religion threads are one of the most entertaining things about OT.

Yep, those and discussions about Pikeys! :P

WHAT is it that possesses otherwise perfectly intelligent people (the fine and estimable Julie being a prime example), when involved with religion to completely take leave of their senses in such a way?

It truly intrigues and bewilders me.

I'm not gonna debate you, Jerry.

As always with most things religion, there is no evidence. Not even an infinitesimal shred of proof.

Ergo, hokum.

I know crazy isnt it..You would have thought after the evolution of the human brain we would have managed to muster up some kind of pure solid evidence by now. That these so called myths that are wrote in a so called story book are in fact just that...Myths.

Yet even in the modern day with this superior modern evolved human brain all we seem to keep coming up with, is that the time lines along with certain occurances written in the Bible do seem to errr add up.

Strange stuff... :o

WHAT is it that possesses otherwise perfectly intelligent people (the fine and estimable Julie being a prime example), when involved with religion to completely take leave of their senses in such a way?

There are in fact people that have studied Theology and evolution in great detail, yet still come out saying the bible makes more sense.

Far more intelligent people than you, me and people using this forum will believe in the bible...It has been studied by great length my friend.And is yet to written off :winkold:

(...)the more convinced I am that mankind's history on this planet is completely different to how many people hope it should be.

I suspect you are talking about atheists or other people who believe in the theories of science over the "theories" of religion. If so, what has hope got to do with it?

I don't hope for anything when it comes to science. I have no normative preference in questions of science. I just look at the available data with the (albeit limited at times) understanding I have and draw what I see as the logical conclusions. That's why I'm an atheist. I'm not an atheist because I hope the universe, planet earth and its inhabitants came about in a certain way. I'm an atheist because all available data suggests that there is no god and I believe the theory of evolution as fact because all available data suggests that it is. I don't believe in the story of Noah's ark because ALL AVAILABLE DATA suggests it never happened! What I hope could not be more irrelevant to what I believe!

Religion, on the other hand, is strongly based on hope. Religion, often knowingly, ignores the available data and instead draws conclusions based on hope, faith and wishful thinking.

look this thread is about whether or not it would be plausable, just as I have a fully thought out plan on how I would react and plan and implement my zombie apocalypse strategy which would actually involve you lot in a small way.

Well, it would be possible I suppose, but as I say the sticking point would be making sure you had one of every species on board. as we're discovering new species of animals all the time, I can't see how we could ever say that we had every different type of animal covered. To take it back to religious nutjobbery, are we to believe that Noah wandered around the rain forests for years cataloguing different species like a Biblical Charles Darwin?

There are in fact people that have studied Theology and evolution in great detail, yet still come out saying the bible makes more sense.

Far more intelligent people than you, me and people using this forum will believe in the bible...It has been studied by great length my friend.And is yet to written off :winkold:

Show me these people. Go on. Show me.

This thread is fun.

It didn't happen. Case closed. Let's move on.

Because you said so? How small and narrow minded..I suppose because you didnt see it, you dont believe it..

Maybe it could be more down to, you dont understand it?

I understand religion pretty well as I was born and raised Catholic, went to Catholic school and studied R.E. at A level in a Catholic 6th form .

The bible is a collection of stories written by primitive, superstitious men who were trying to make sense of a strange and dangerous world . You could say it was actually mans first attempt at science but instead of using the modern scientific method they invoked the supernatural to explain anything that wasn't within their grasp .

It is contradictory, illogical and irrational nowadays and shouldn't be taken as anything other than a glimpse of the zeitgeist .

Even if you were to toss away all reason and believe the ark fable is actually a true historical event then it throws up many other absurdities such as how can the Abrahamic God be a standard for morality, when he willingly murdered innocent babies via drowning ? How did the human species evolve into the various races we see today in 6-10,000 years ?

Why are the marsupials all in Australia and the Polar bears in the arctic etc ? Does this deity advocate incest ? Why is there no physical evidence of a global flood ?

It is a campfire story for middle eastern shepherds to tell their kids and no more.

If you genuinely believe that it is a real historical event in earths history , then I am sorry but you are intellectually bankrupt .

It is NOT yet to be written off! Countless studies have over and over again proven the stories of miracles from the bible to be nothing more than legend and folklore. On the other hand: no study has EVER proven a story of miracle from the bible to be true!

Indeed there are a few religious scientists (although I refuse to accept a theologian as a scientific authority on questions of natural science!). However, they are outnumbered by a ratio of about 10/1!

(...)the more convinced I am that mankind's history on this planet is completely different to how many people hope it should be.

I suspect you are talking about atheists or other people who believe in the theories of science over the "theories" of religion. If so, what has hope got to do with it?

I don't hope for anything when it comes to science. I have no normative preference in questions of science. I just look at the available data with the (albeit limited at times) understanding I have and draw what I see as the logical conclusions. That's why I'm an atheist. I'm not an atheist because I hope the universe, planet earth and its inhabitants came about in a certain way. I'm an atheist because all available data suggests that there is no god and I believe the theory of evolution as fact because all available data suggests that it is. I don't believe in the story of Noah's ark because ALL AVAILABLE DATA suggests it never happened! What I hope could not be more irrelevant to what I believe!

Religion, on the other hand, is strongly based on hope. Religion, often knowingly, ignores the available data and instead draws conclusions based on hope, faith and wishful thinking.

Or, to put it another way:

tumblr_lkigqkJ2Fv1qg3ox0o1_500.jpg

I'm reminded of when a certain Jehovah expressed a viewpoint that amounted to hoping for an apocalypse soon so the 'sinners' could be seen how right the 'righteous' were and that those 'in league with Satan' would get their divine humble pie.

The argument for/against God has moved beyond the old myths and gibberish of the Bible. The idea of a 'personal god' has long since been branded as tripe.

The argument is whether or not there is a higher intelligence (or God, if you must), and if that kick started the Universe, put the ground rules in place and left it at that. That is a vastly different debate than whether or not some ancient old chap cruised the oceans with an Ark with every animal on board.

The argument for/against God has moved beyond the old myths and gibberish of the Bible. The idea of a 'personal god' has long since been branded as tripe.

The argument is whether or not there is a higher intelligence (or God, if you must), and if that kick started the Universe, put the ground rules in place and left it at that. That is a vastly different debate than whether or not some ancient old chap cruised the oceans with an Ark with every animal on board.

Even Deism is a bit far fetched for me . I don't buy into the old chestnut that a prime mover just "exists" and is exempt from creation itself .

It's far more likely that the universe or multiverses (i.e all of "reality") are infinite and have always been around .

But what do I know, I believe Aston Villa are the worlds greatest football team despite evidence to the contrary.