Could Noah's Ark hold all the animals?

steaknchips

I'm not an atheist, kind of.

Plus my whole family are religious so I have full respect for religion and religious people, being raised a catholic myself.

BUt I still think believeing Noah's Ark could be real is ludicrous.

ANYTHING that questions established concensus tends to get ignored, hidden or just proclaimed a fraud. The more I've researched Out of Place Artifacts, OOPARTs and ancient civilisations, which is what sparked my interest in the Bible in the first place, the more convinced I am that mankind's history on this planet is completely different to how many people hope it should be.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People might dismiss the flood legend as mere fairy tales, but no one appears to be able to explain why tales of Noah and the Great Flood turn up in cultures across the globe.

Probably for the same reason that hundreds of thousands of years from now, distant cultures will still be talking about Star Wars; it's a good story.

Noah's ark is coming to Kentucky.

Answers in Genesis, the Christian ministry behind the Creation Museum, plans to build a life-size replica of the biblical ark by 2014. If the plan comes to fruition, the ark will be part of a new theme park called Ark Encounter that, like the Creation Museum, aims to mix a literal take on the Bible with family fun.

The Creation Museum, also in Kentucky, is described on its comprehensive website as a "state-of-the-art 70,000-square-foot museum [that] brings the pages of the Bible to life." Exhibits include Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden; children playing near dinosaurs; and a movie called "Men in White" that explores how the Bible and science match up.

Under the Ark Encounter portion of the website, Ken Ham, the president, chief executive and founder of Answers in Genesis-U.S. and the Creation Museum, explains why the group wants to build it. In part, he says, it's to demonstrate how Noah could have built the ark. The effort also will teach visitors about "the geological aspects of the flood" and help them gain an understanding of "God's grace and mercy," he says.

Answers in Genesis has determined that the biblical wooden ship was 500 feet long and about 80 feet high, and plans to have a team of Amish builders construct the new version entirely of wood.

The Creation Museum is accepting donations to help make its ark a reality. The fundraising goal is $24.5 million, according to its website, and so far nearly $3.7 million has been raised.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/08/noahs-ark-answers-in-genesis.html

I have no respect whatsoever for religion. It amounts to nothing more than primitive superstition, myth and legend. It is hostile to critical enquiry, based entirely on faith without any form of evidence, is illogical, irrational, unscientific and patently absurd. I have no doubt, however, that religion has enriched our society, it gives people hope (false hope, but hope nonetheless), and inspires people to do wonderful things, but to suggest that there is any truth whatsoever to stories of Gods, demons, angels, virgin births, magic boats, talking snakes, knowledgable fruit etc. etc. is absurd to the point of insanity.

The deluge myth of Noah's ark is particularly absurd.

It suggests that an invisible man in the sky, who is supposedly perfect, cocked up his perfect creation so badly that he had to wipe the slate clean and start again. At this point, religious folk are no doubt crying foul and saying 'but it was the sin of men that enraged God!', completely failing to understand that sin was supposedly introduced by Satan, who is another creation of, you guessed it, the invisible perfect man in the sky.

Anyway...

So God got ratty that people were mean and, like a wise and loving God (and nothing like a petulant child), he decided to destroy literally everything on the planet, including the millions of animals that were no doubt completely innocent in the whole situation. Some would suggest that a much smarter thing to do would be to give the bad guys strategic heart attacks and spare all of the innocent animals, children etc, or that an even smarter thing to do would be to NOT CREATE THE **** DEVIL IN THE FIRST PLACE.

So this magic boat somehow managed to contain literally every two of literally every animal on the planet, who managed to survive without eating each other, dying of disease, or starving during their one year fast. Not only that, but Noah's family managed to survive without being completely overwhelmed by ammonia poisoning from the waste products of so many million creatures.

To believe that this story, and it is a wonderful and interesting story, is anything other than a myth is to confess to being profoundly ignorant of science and completely incapable of rational thought and common sense. Not only that, but it is almost amusing that so many religious people have failed to appreciate just how wicked, irrational, and stupid this makes their perfect God look.

Divine intervention my arse!

I'm not an atheist, kind of.

Plus my whole family are religious so I have full respect for religion and religious people, being raised a catholic myself.

BUt I still think believeing Noah's Ark could be real is ludicrous.

Exactly the same here. My whole family are church going christians and alot of my friends also. Im not though. I grew out of it.

Yeah, I guess as a ginger it's very easy to lose faith.

It suggests that an invisible man in the sky, who is supposedly perfect, cocked up his perfect creation so badly that he had to wipe the slate clean and start again. At this point, religious folk are no doubt crying foul and saying 'but it was the sin of men that enraged God!', completely failing to understand that sin was supposedly introduced by Satan, who is another creation of, you guessed it, the invisible perfect man in the sky.

Anyway...

So God got ratty that people were mean and, like a wise and loving God (and nothing like a petulant child), he decided to destroy literally everything on the planet, including the millions of animals that were no doubt completely innocent in the whole situation. Some would suggest that a much smarter thing to do would be to give the bad guys strategic heart attacks and spare all of the innocent animals, children etc, or that an even smarter thing to do would be to NOT CREATE THE **** DEVIL IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Divine intervention my arse!

For what reason or reasons should God have not created the devil even if he was going to fall? Just because God knows what will happen doesn't mean that the person (or angel) isn't free to make choices. Satan freely chose to rebel against God. God knew this would happen. Nevertheless, let me offer some possible reasons why God would create Satan even though He knew he would fall and rebel.

1.It was necessary to have the fall so that God could then have a reason to die for our sins thereby demonstrating that God can and does provide the greatest act of love which is to lay down one's life for his friend (John 15:13).

2.The fall of Satan provides yet another method for God to be glorified in that God can use sin to prove that sin is "bad" and that God's Word about righteousness is true.

3.If God is to have creatures with free will, then the risk of rebellion is part of that freedom. Satan had that freedom and used it to rebel.

4.If God had not created Satan and instead another angel fell, then we'd be asking why God made that angel knowing he would fall.

5.God has reasons about which we know nothing.

The reason that God permits sickness and bad things, is because sin is in the world. Sickness is a result of the fall which was a sinful rebellion against God. Sin entered the world through Adam (Rom. 5:12) and since we are all in Adam (1 Cor. 15:22) we are all subject to sickness and sin.

Just because God knows what will happen doesn't mean that the person (or angel) isn't free to make choices.

You do realise that what you've just said is a logical absurdity? How in the name of Zeus' butthole can free-will and determinism work at the same time?

1.It was necessary to have the fall so that God could then have a reason to die for our sins thereby demonstrating that God can and does provide the greatest act of love which is to lay down one's life for his friend (John 15:13).

2.The fall of Satan provides yet another method for God to be glorified in that God can use sin to prove that sin is "bad" and that God's Word about righteousness is true.

3.If God is to have creatures with free will, then the risk of rebellion is part of that freedom. Satan had that freedom and used it to rebel.

4.If God had not created Satan and instead another angel fell, then we'd be asking why God made that angel knowing he would fall.

5.God has reasons about which we know nothing.

And there, my friends, is the barminess of it all, in a nutshell.

ANYTHING that questions established concensus tends to get ignored, hidden or just proclaimed a fraud.
Indeed.

So much so that, that when the godbotherers were actually in charge, "those who questioned the established consensus" were imprisoned, tortured and burned at the stake.

There were two qualifications for the animals on board the Ark: they not only had to be those which moved about on the earth, but also those that had the breath of life, or "nephesh." The word "nephesh" refers to those animals with soul: or, if you like, "responsive personality." Thus, you would have all mammals that lived on land, reptiles, and birds. Amphibians did not need the Ark, and insects, worms, bacteria, etc., do not have a nervous system which is complex enough to mark the animal or organism as having a uniqueness and the trainability which "nephesh" implies. Thus, these organisms were preserved in various ways outside the Ark through the flood.

So did Noah buy 700,000 sets of mini SCUBA equipment to help all the different varieties of beetle alone, survive ?

Did you see the caterpillar survive through years of arctic winters on Frozen Planet the other night?

Was that with or without oxygen ?

If we had to take an example (or "kind" to use the Biblical term) of every animal on the planet on a boat, we couldn't do it now.

Which is telling as there are less kinds than there used to be.

99% of all the species that have existed are now extinct .

If we had to take an example (or "kind" to use the Biblical term) of every animal on the planet on a boat, we couldn't do it now.

Which is telling as there are less kinds than there used to be.

99% of all the species that have existed are now extinct .

Like ooh I don't know, dinosaurs?!

look this thread is about whether or not it would be plausable, just as I have a fully thought out plan on how I would react and plan and implement my zombie apocalypse strategy which would actually involve you lot in a small way.

let see if it is possible and see if the logistics of getting species on the big boat would be possible.

I reckon it would be in modern times however one man building it no chance.

I mean it was only him and his wife on there was it not? bit harsh to get loads of people to help you build it and then say "yeah no room see ya".

my zombie apocalypse strategy is rather awesome, also aided by the fact I am now less than a mile from the stronghold where I would go.