Final Fantasy

hogso

I never felt comfortable with it. It's the first game where they really started to evolve the battle system, allowing you to set up an automated system (you know, you could set a character to heal you if your health dropped to x% automatically, or always attack the highest health enemy with x attack, etc) that on paper sounded fine but I never settled with it. And they then decided to make unlocking aspects of that system be part of the gameplay, you had to unlock the conditions under which the system would work, either by buying them or finding them. And the added the ability to move around during battles that I never quite got the point of. It was all very 'MMO' esque, and having never been a fan of that sort of thing it put me off. But other people loved it, loved the switch to wider strategy that the 'gambit' auto system allowed.

And then I never felt happy with the characters, stories, art design. It's the blandest Final Fantasy I know. Every character pretty much has the same 'look', even the rabbit eared race has the same style as everyone else. The main story is utterly forgettable, evil empire stuff played without a single original thought from what I remember, and the character arc stories I can't even remember at all. I can't say that for the FF games I loved. Even the villain is crap.

It was the first FF game I'd played where I just didn't care to finish it. I even had the guide just in case, hardback, and it didn't grab me at all. I like(d) my Final Fantasy old school I think, I shan't play another.

It was the first FF game I'd played where I just didn't care to finish it

Same for me, never really got into XII at all.

Any lovers of Xenogears? It's on the US PSN, and is utterly fantastic. In ways I prefer to FFVII, that might just be due to the giant robots though. The story is like nothing else I've played in any other game though, it's **** huge. Lots of philisopical, psychological and religious references and elements are involved, which makes the whole thing hugley interesting, aswell as entertaining. The script writer originally submitted it to be the story for FFVII but was told it was too dark and complicated to be a final fantasy - but was allowed to go ahead with their own project.

For anyone who enjoyed the PS1 era FFs I would hugely recommend, if you missed out on it first time around (it wasnt released in Europe (nor were the psuedo sequels Xenosaga1,2,3 on PS2 (curiously the psuedo sequel to that, Xenoblade on Wii, is still awaiting its US release despite already being out here for over 6 months. very odd.))) It is very heavily anime styled though, which might put some people off I guess.

Hmmmm, I didn't realise final fantasy was one of these turn based games (can you tell I know nothign about the final fantasy series?!). Don't really like those so I think VII will take me a while to get into.

But I shall persist!

Hmmmm, I didn't realise final fantasy was one of these turn based games (can you tell I know nothign about the final fantasy series?!). Don't really like those so I think VII will take me a while to get into.

But I shall persist!

Come and give us your thoughts after about 30 hours. :winkold:

I never felt comfortable with it. It's the first game where they really started to evolve the battle system, allowing you to set up an automated system (you know, you could set a character to heal you if your health dropped to x% automatically, or always attack the highest health enemy with x attack, etc) that on paper sounded fine but I never settled with it. And they then decided to make unlocking aspects of that system be part of the gameplay, you had to unlock the conditions under which the system would work, either by buying them or finding them. And the added the ability to move around during battles that I never quite got the point of. It was all very 'MMO' esque, and having never been a fan of that sort of thing it put me off. But other people loved it, loved the switch to wider strategy that the 'gambit' auto system allowed.

And then I never felt happy with the characters, stories, art design. It's the blandest Final Fantasy I know. Every character pretty much has the same 'look', even the rabbit eared race has the same style as everyone else. The main story is utterly forgettable, evil empire stuff played without a single original thought from what I remember, and the character arc stories I can't even remember at all. I can't say that for the FF games I loved. Even the villain is crap.

It was the first FF game I'd played where I just didn't care to finish it. I even had the guide just in case, hardback, and it didn't grab me at all. I like(d) my Final Fantasy old school I think, I shan't play another.

Good analytical skills there, are you a games reviewer by any chance? :P

PC? i had to go on youtube to see where to swim to get mr dolphin to throw you up in junon (because this is the 4th time ive played FF7 and it annoys the **** out of me everytime) and the graphics are at least half way to being decent!

FF7 on PSN on a 40" tv is shocking

FFVII?

To play that you'd need a PS1, PS2 or PS3, or PC.

FFXIII-2 is on the 360 as well as PS3.

So am i right in thinking Chindie, the only FF7 is the 3 disc version (white cover) that came out on the PS1? But will play on a PS2?

Also mate, which one do i need for the UK? On EBAY there are loads of different ones (PS2)...

NTSC - SCPH-79001​CB

PAL - SCPH-75003​CB

PAL - SCPH-90003​CB

Yes, 7 got released on the PS1 on 3 discs. The PS2 and PS3 will play PS1 games (although they will look particularly rough these days on modern tellys, particularly large screen sizes).

They also released it on the PC.

EDIT - It also playable on many smart phones via emulators and ROMs, but thats a pretty grey area.

You'd want a PAL one mate. NTSC basically means Yank or Japanese compatible.

Yes, 7 got released on the PS1 on 3 discs. The PS2 and PS3 will play PS1 games (although they will look particularly rough these days on modern tellys, particularly large screen sizes).

They also released it on the PC.

EDIT - It also playable on many smart phones via emulators and ROMs, but thats a pretty grey area.

You'd want a PAL one mate. NTSC basically means Yank or Japanese compatible.

Cheers buddy.

Thinking about it, i must just get the new game and give that a go.

Worth bearing in mind the series is very different these days, you might want to have a look into the new game before taking the plunge - I know, despite loving IX for example, that the new one would do nothing for me at all.

Cheers buddy.

Thinking about it, i must just get the new game and give that a go.

Not sure I'd recommend that for two reasons:

1) The new Final Fantasy games are vastly different to the older ones, and

2) FFXIII-2 is a continuation from FFXIII, although I've heard it can be treated as a stand-alone story I suppose.

Either way, it's your choice though. Buying a PS3 is the expensive option but then you can buy and download the older Final Fantasy games which are like 3 quid each now I think if the sale is still on.

Unless there's an emulator out there on the PC that I don't know about. You'd be hard pressed to find a cheap copy of the original playstation game and you'd only be buying it second-hand I should think. The same goes for the playstation or playstation 2 console, they'd be second-hand.

If you're a big gamer, buying a PS3 would be my advice, because there's a lot of other great games that are only out on it and not on the Xbox 360. Things like Metal Gear Solid 4, The Uncharted series of games (which are fantastic by the way), Demon's Souls (although the spiritual successor Dark Souls is also out on the Xbox 360 as well as the PS3) and plenty more games I'm sure I'm forgetting. Also, the PS3 plays Blu-Rays and has free online play.

Another alternative could be the Nintendo DS or 3DS, there's a few Final Fantasy games on that platform. It would certainly be cheaper but you wouldn't be able to specifically play FFVII on it.

If you were really desperate to play FF7, I'd look into the PC version. Might take some jiggery pokery to get running but it should run on pretty much anything these days (as said, people have got it running on phones without a hitch). Only issue would be finding a 'legit' copy, I don't think it's been rerelased for download and I'd imagine retail copies 2nd hand are like rocking horse shit.

Or better yet, don't bother and cherish your memories of it. It's going to be showing it's age now pretty badly, it's what... 15 years old?

It's going to be showing it's age now pretty badly, it's what... 15 years old?

yeah its hard going at the start, i had to do lots of 20/30 minutes plays to get used to it rather than sessions, but in a strange way it gets away with it to a certain extent because IMO the graphics were never mindblowing, they are still the same strange block heads taht i remember

i think 8 will be harder, i can remember some of the cutscenes in 8 being as good as anything else going at the time, the graphics were brilliant

FF7 on PSN on a 40" tv is shocking

Yeah the graphics are pretty bad.

Especially strange is the difference between your character and the backgrounds. Don't know if that was like that when you played it on PS1?

I was actually going to look into if there was a way to shrink the screen size to make it look better

Oh it was never a pretty game, even when it first came out the models weren't going to blow anyone away, its just that is marked nowadays.

Especially strange is the difference between your character and the backgrounds. Don't know if that was like that when you played it on PS1?

How'd you mean?

Â