Final Fantasy

hogso

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've put a couple of hours into XV now.

...I kinda like it. It's not a Final Fantasy game as I would know it, but equally isn't the horrific middle ground XII was. It's also very good looking. Main downside so far seems to be you're dropped into the middle of a story that seems to have already been running for a while (I guess that's where the movie comes in).

Looking forward to seeing where it goes and how much weirder it gets. 

Funnily enough I've been playing Comrades and it's made me want to start a NG+ now. I didn't think I'd want to play through it again. Maybe now I've platinumD it I'll enjoy a nice trophy free relaxed play through.

12 hours ago, V01 said:

Was there any reason for swapping them?

Got any tips for gambits? I've covered the obvious stuff. 

auto phoenix down and cures at the top of the list, attacks below, haven't got many buffs yet.

Defo get a Steal Foe 100% HP set-up on one character. Put that first so you first action is always steal.

As you go along setting up Foe weak (element) - BM it's weak to is beneficial for your BM/RM. Also giving your mage the technik Charge I think it is when their MP is below 10%. Make sure your melee attackers have a gambit set up for hitting flying Foes too (either magic or Telekinesis Technik)

You're right, that is where the movie comes in. Keep in mind you're playing the patched version - the original version had even less 'backstory' to what you're actually doing. Hard to believe! Make sure you buy all the soundtracks at the various petrol stations, half the joy of the game for me was driving around with the FFIX soundtrack blaring :D

Been working all weekend so haven't had much chance to play. 

Last time I played I stumbled into a fight against zalera? Timed fight where I couldn't burst him down quick enough. 

I'd seen something about seitengrat online so had a bash at getting it, just kept getting knots of rust. 

Completed around 15 hunts and just discovered the clan leader despite having been in the clan house a good dozen times. 

Story wise I'm meant to be going to a mountain with Larsa, got stomped by a few enemies on the way so I took a detour to grind some levels. I got what seems to be a pretty good death sword out of it. 

Party is around lvl 36-40 at the minute. 

Got Addramalach after a few attempts, it wasn't a fun fight. 

Yeah Addra kicks your ass if not prepared. Good gambits will get you through it easily though. Cuc destroyed me many times even with a good set-up (the Esper in the Waterway). Constant Sap was a nightmare. Ended up having 1 person healing constantly with Cura/aga if HP fell below 80%.

Took Zalera down.

This is my planned esper distribution, (bold already assigned).

Ashe: Time Battle Mage / Uhlan            Adrammelech
Balthier: Bushi / Knight                            Belias, Mateus, Hashmal, Exodus, Ultima
Vaan: Red Battle Mage/ Archer              Shemhazai, Cuchulainn, Zeromus
Penelo:  White Mage / Machinist           Famfrit, Zodiark
Basch:  Shikari / Foebreaker                   Zalera
Fran: Black Mage / Monk                        Chaos 

Is it a problem having that many assigned to one character? picked solely on the usefulness of what they unlock on the license board.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this last week. I have played it for about 3 hours so far. 

I was a FF7 tragic but haven't played any of the others except a bit of 8 I think.

Taking my time cruising around, not really sure what I'm doing but seems like a nice game.

Anyone playing this still?

Any helpful tips without spoiling the game will be appreciated. 

I take it you're referring to XV? You'll have to forgive the lack of place names here as I can't recall them - in the early going don't be tempted to cash in your XP as soon as you get it. If you save up as much as possible for as long as possible (doing the side quests, hunts, main quests, photo ops, rescues, etc.), presuming you're not struggling too much to off the mobs, and then cash it in at the 2x XP place at that swanky hotel by the sea not too far from where you start. There's a pier and a restaurant too. Any XP boosting meals would be good to have on the go at the same time you're grinding XP too. You won't even have to do this for every long and you'll find yourself jumping 10+ levels at a time. It's useful early on, and it's also very useful in the post game to reach level 100+

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FFXV 'Royal Edition' is coming out on 6th March, which is also the version which will appear on PC. It's basically a GOTY, but with extra stuff - first person mode, new dungeon, new bosses, usable Royal Yacht, improved Armiger, and some other bits and bobs. It's not included in the season pass. No official word yet if it's coming to Switch, but if it does, it will presumably be this 'final' version.

I'll likely pick the 'Royal Edition' up on PC as I've been meaning to play all the content they cut to sell back as DLC, so I may as well get it on PC and enjoy it at 4K with a stable frame rate.

Might be worth mentioning too that the Dissidia NT (Smash Bros for FF, kinda) open beta is available on PS4 until 21st January. It's a very different take on a traditional fighter, and honestly quite overwhelming at first, but if you put a bit of time in it's pretty rewarding. They've been rotating the playable characters too, with the final bunch before the beta closes including Cloud, Squall, Zidane, Lightning, Cecil, Bartz (Butz lol) and Ramza.

Edited by hogso

I've been playing the Dissidia beta, it's got an insane learning curve to it and it's rather chaotic. Plus the character rotation was a little annoying as I was finally getting the hang of it with Zidane then he gets swapped out. Still pre-ordered because it says Final Fantasy on the case :P

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out my iPhone isn't compatible. Get through the opening FMVs but it crashes as soon as the loading screen comes up to start the game (pushing the car bit).

iPhone 6, and it recommends 6S onwards. What a load of shit.

That's a shame. At the very least it's worth a look seeing as the first chapter is free. I've got mine on the highest settings and it doesn't look terrible, although my eyes are continually drawn to Noct's legs which are...well, long triangles.

Last anyone heard they tried running 'full fat' XV on the switch and it didn't run well enough. Releasing the mobile version wouldn't happen either I don't think as that would be awfully insulting to Nintendo. 

• 1 month later...

Started new game+ of XV with the Royal pack loaded. I can't remember if the start of the game was always like this, as originally I started it on day one...but man, the beginning hour-ish is so, so weird. I dread to think how many people gave up on it early. 

• 3 months later...

Finally upgraded my phone to an 8plus so the Pocket Edition works great now. Nice little pick up and play game. Obviously really dumbed down in terms of gameplay, but still enjoyable.

Really need to get back to the PS game and go through all the DLC, so a fresh playthrough with everything is on the cards. This bad boy is taking up nearly 100GB of space on my HDD so clearing it is now a priority!

Â