Final Fantasy

hogso

Yeah I've found my groove again too with this now, not hammering it as I'm wanting to make it last so I'm exploring and fighting everything that comes along. Only just made it out past the battery mimic segment so story wise I'm lagging but I'm just enjoying having a look around the world again. I'm so glad the game is being given a second chance and weirdly, it feels quite fresh and new, much less like the weird hybrid risky game it was originally.

Had a hankering to play Final Fantasy Tactics, so got the android version on my phone. What a sublime game it is.

I first played it in my mid-late teens, a copied version on my chipped PS1. Boggles the mind that it didn't get a European release following the success of FF VII - perhaps there wasn't enough time to put a release in to motion, it was only about 3 months between the US FF VII to FFT releases - the EU release of FF VII was during that time.

A shame then that a European audience didn't have an official release of the game until 2003 on the GBA, and even then it was a butchered version.

Not until Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions came on the PSP did Europeans have a real opportunity to play it - 10 years after it was released. I had that version too, although at the time I didn't like it as much as the original. There are very few differences - the main one being WotL replaced some cutscenes that had previously taken place in the in-game engine with cel-shaded and voice acted scenes. Not many, just here and there. I felt it lost something of the charm.

It's a rough game, though. Like any true Tactical RPG, it requires time, dedication, a real understanding of the mechanics of battle, and above all - grinding. You want to beat this thing, then you have got to put the hours in to build up your main chars, and their jobs. I think this must have been the first game I played with permadeath for members of your squad, too.

I spent many hours playing it in my youth, I recall. And I remember the ending very clearly, so I know I beat it. When I came to play it on PSP I could not believe how hard some of it was, with a crazy difficulty spike in certain story battles. I'm hoping to get right to the end again this time, too. It's a really good port of the PSP version too, and worth £10.

Try it out if you never have before!

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

"I'm Captain Basch"!!!

"Don't listen to Ondore's lies"!

No one heard you

Testify: 2%

Jeez, I'd forgot about that bit. Oh well, at least it signifies the end of the mines.

I had a good crack at it last night. Levelling up is sooooo much quicker in this version, maybe because of the 4x speed. I've just been running through places at full pelt with gambits set to attack nearest visible. Jumped from level 28 to 37 in a few hours by going through the Zertinan Caves. Also got a nice 100,000k gil from selling all the loot.

Also got my 2nd Esper from the Caves. Adrammelech. Forgot he was there, went in and got destroyed. Just got stuck in an endless loop or reviving and curing. Restarted from the auto-save, changed a few accessories and gambits (Basch and Ashe to Foe - Undead - Attack so they can sweep up the zombie things that are spawned) whilst I just attacked Foe - Flying so I hit Adram over and over. Accessories to nullify Electric element meant it was over in a few minutes with no deaths. Hooray for preparation!

• 2 weeks later...

Currently downloading the Comrades multiplayer DLC for XV, very curious about it, has all the ingredients to be a competent time sink. 

I'm still loving FFXII. Just been completing all the marks / rare game hunts (Phon Hunters Club) while levelling up and trying to complete some side questing. I know I'm nearing the end story wise so wanting to make the most of the 'guest' party member with me. A team of 4 is better than a team of 3, especially when that guest character knows Holy. Will come in useful for Ultima Esper, Zodiark Esper and Hell Wyrm.

• 3 weeks later...

.... What?

Nearly finished my run on FFXII. 7 enemies left to kill and the Bestiary is filled. Then I'll head to the finale. All I'll have left to do then is trial mode and the plat is mine. Has been great fun!

I guess sales of the older games on mobile have been good enough to warrant the production of a chibi style recent instalment, although I must admit that I would not have expected XV to be that game! It's going to be a huge thing to download if this is literally the whole (vanilla) game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been playing it a lot the last week. I don't think I'll ever get bored of playing it. I've said it before and I'll always say it, IX is just my favourite game of all time. A perfect medieval type fantasy story, incredible atmosphere, incredible soundtrack, lovely storybook visuals, An almost Henson-esque setting etc... Everything just comes together to make a sublime game. I'd love them to go back to that type of setting again. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally started back on FFXV. Picked it up from where I left off, Chapter 8. Did my weapon upgrades with Cid before continuing (just the Saw left but couldn't be arsed waiting around any more). Now in Venice. I keep getting lost.

Think I'm gonna plow on through to the end and then tie up hunts/side quests/loose ends afterwards.

Well, blasted through it and completed the game. Completely rushed last few chapters isn't it? What happened to Prompto? Ignis? By pass major plot points for DLC? Shocking.

Anywho, travelled back from the load point and am now in Hammerhead. Gonna clear up some of the trophies and take down that Adamantoise.

Given it's torrid development, the only really telling part in game is the last few chapters, I think. Maybe some of the early bugs and stuff that were eventually ironed out, too. That the rest of it came out as good as it did is miraculous, really. Did you get the season pass, or are you tempted by any of the DLC? It provides some pretty nifty changes in gameplay style, but none of it is essential by any means. Not like the Kingsglaive movie with regards to the original version of the game where you literally just start driving around without any sort of backstory :lol: I played the Comrades beta (online multiplayer expansion), and as much as something like that would work in the world perfectly, it didn't grab me as something I wanted to spend time playing.

Â