Final Fantasy

hogso

On 01/11/2016 at 08:50, hogso said:

World of Final Fantasy is far better than it has any right to be. Or should I say, far more enjoyable than it should be. The plot is complete trash. The graphics are terrible - although the art style is great. Battle system has a very ordinary ATB system with an annoying feature or two. And so far at least, it is embarrassingly easy. Plus, shock horror, it has random encounters! uuuhhh nuuuhhhhh~

However. The fan service is off the chart. It's literally FF's greatest hits, from games I-XIII (plus maybe some more? Not sure yet). What is really charming, is that, aided by the chibi factor, the characters from past games are outrageous caricatures of themselves which I find really amusing. Characters like Tidus, Squall, and Lightning in particular are very silly, in the right way.

The Pokemon/Ni No Kuni/MegaTen (depending on your preference) mechanic of fighting monsters, catching them, and using them to fight with is as addictive as ever, aided by the feature that you can use up to 4 at a time, via a really quite unique 'stacking' system. The 2 main characters can switch between 'Jiant' (big/kingdom hearts styled) and 'Lilikin' (little/chibi styled) forms. When in Jiant form they can have a Medium and Small creature on top of them. When Chibi they can sit on a Large and have a Small on their head.

It's weird alright, and is without doubt aimed at a younger market as an 'entry' title. It has come at exactly the right time for me though, I've wanted an JRPG to sink my teeth in to for some time, and this has really hit the mark. I can't see me finishing it off before FFXV arrives, what with trying to get through DQ Builders too, but I'll do my best.

I'm close to buying this as it is on sale. Just want a simple RPG and as this has a lot to offer from previous FF games (without giving spoilers away) I think it might be worth the £20.

It's a really nice game, quite childlike (and that is not an insult, or because of the big/small characters) it is just charming. Not the hardest game I have played (up to the point I am), but it is really just a little fun game. Tama and Lann need to be gagged though, they are a little annoying!

Edited by DK82

• 2 weeks later...

Completed the main questline in FFXV last night, haven't got a scooby what was meant to be going on or what the ending was meant to be. 

I was a little over levelled for it, kept getting sidetracked by hunts and quests instead of getting on with the story. Finished the game at level 60 so I'm not far off attempting the 

Spoiler

Adamantoise

fight, some extra dungeons to have a crack at too.

In news that will surprise absolutely no one, Tetsuya Nomura (Designer and Character Designer of both) has suggested that the wait for FFVIIR Episode I and Kingdom Hearts III may be longer than expected. Nothing concrete, but it's as good as.

In kind of related news, some glitches have been exploited in FFXV (pre-patched disc version of the game) that allow one to explore the entire continent of Niflheim on foot. In the game you only really travel through it on a train, but it's all really there - roads, buildings, towns. It's believed that the leaks about the game being rushed out to meet a release date before the end of 2016 (yeah, rushed, even though it was in development in one way or another for ~10 years!) were true - the game should have had at least one other continent as large as where you start, full of missions and hunts, etc.

What a game that would have been. More than likely some of the assets will be used for upcoming DLC, but still, imagine if they had had 6 more months with it before release...

It's a miracle the game is as good as it is, really.

Edited by hogso

• 2 weeks later...

Altissia has been transformed for the next 4 weeks into the 'Moogle Chocobo Carnival'. There's mini games, special quests, and new attire available. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates; on Feb 21 the 'Booster Pack' DLC will be available, as well as a patch to improve performance on PS4 Pro, increased level cap to 120, and the ability to listen to music whilst riding a chocobo.

On March 28 the 'Episode Gladiolus' DLC drops (presumed to take place at the point in the story when he disappears for no real reason, and comes back with a big **** off scar on his chest), as well as an patch for chapter 13. Not all the details are known, but there will be some improvement to the story, and changes to the Ring of Lucii, so that whole section is a bit less...shit.

In June 'Episode Prompto' will drop, as well as a patch to enable the Regalia to drive, wait for it...off road! Pretty cool man. I expect it will be exploitable/glitched to heck, though.

I played through the Chocobo Moogle Carnival, it's alright. None of the items are incredible, and none of the mini games are as mindlessly entertaining/addictive as Totomostro from the main game, but there's some fishing to be done which could be worth while (a unique rod, for example). It's also possible to keep farming points from the carnival and buy, amongst other things, rare recipe ingredients and elemancy catalysts. Possibly most siginifcant is the possibility to buy Rare Coins with the points, which are used to create Expcast spells - probably the easiest and most cheesiest way to get to level 99. Or indeed level 120 when that's possible.

I finished the story the other week too. Don't think I mentioned it here. I found the gameplay of the last few chapters to be pretty frigging boring (some really fun battles aside - is. against Demon Wall in the 'dark world' just outside Cape Caem in the tunnel when you return, the big level 82 thing in Insomnia whose name I can't recall, and the Psychomancer that replaces it and drops Ulric's Kukris, which is available if you return to that spot just before starting the final battle), but the story was actually quite affecting.

Spoiler

Ofc the photo you picked had to come in to it somewhere along the line, and even though I was expecting it, when it turned up on the throne, after Noct had departed...very touching.

• 3 weeks later...

The first chunk of that DLC is out now, with the patch. There's a weapon (which if you're in the end game is pretty useless), a reel (which is worse than the best one you can get from totomostro), and a fishing rod which is actually quite good.

The PS4 Pro part of the patch makes it run worse apparently, but I have noticed the game running better on PS4. The level cap is up to 120 too, not sure why you'd want to do that as you'd be way OP for anything that is available at the moment. Hopefully there's some ultra high level enemies put in at a later date.

Which leads nicely on to the other addition from the patch - Timed Quests. The first of which is a battle against 100 Cactuars and Slactuars, and is good fun. Not all at once, about 10 or so at a time, but it's worth a look. You get a reward and gil upon completion the first time, but it is repeatable for exp, making it the quickest way to grind from 100 to 120, if you should be so inclinded.

I've been mostly playing Yakuza lately, but do want to finish off the plat for this. Have to be quick though, what with Mass Effect and P5 coming fast...

• 1 month later...

Good time to be starting XV. The various patches since release have added some really worthwhile features, and it's still being supported with regular content.

• Like 1

Quite enjoying it so far. Battle system is a bit messed up at times (Glads Tempest move glitching out resulting in him not moving) but fun.

Only played about 3-4 hours, mainly exploring the first area. Got a side quest pop up just past Hammerhead where I heard a voice shouting for help, parked up and went to the blue circle but can't find anything now. It says follow voice to the person in need but there's nowt. Maybe it's a certain time of day?

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Only played about 3-4 hours, mainly exploring the first area. Got a side quest pop up just past Hammerhead where I heard a voice shouting for help, parked up and went to the blue circle but can't find anything now. It says follow voice to the person in need but there's nowt. Maybe it's a certain time of day?

Naw, they'll be there, you've just got to search around the area a bit, and make sure you have a spare potion/antidote to cure them. There's quite a few of those rescue missions dotted around.

Also buy a few 'repair kits' from the Hammerhead store, and stop by any broken down cars at the side of the road. Easy EXP at the start of the game.

Edited by hogso

Okie dokie.

Should I be selling all my items I get from battles? Monster claws etc... I sold everything I accumulated in the first few hours and have 8000gil now. Just wondered if they are useful for anything in case I sell a rare item that I need in the future for upgrades etc...

The only thing I would really recommend you never, ever sell are rare coins and shattered timepieces. There's another one as well, but I can't remember what it is...

Reason you want to be saving those as they're used as a catalyst for the 'Expericast' spells. 8 rare coins gives you 97 potency for an expericast spell, which can be used on any enemy for shit tons of EXP. With a 2x EXP meal and 3x EXP hotel stay in Altissia, you can clock up literally millions of EXP. It's by far the quickest way to power level late on in the game.

The rest of the stuff you get, most of it you can sell, there are a handful of items in the game which can work as a special catalyst to create some of the most potent magic (Flare, etc.) which are worth a huge amount of gil that again you wouldn't ever want to sell, but they'll be available from high level mobs towards the end of the game.

Ahhh yeah, that's the other one. Rare coins are the ones you really want to keep hold of though, I wouldn't worry too much about the others. 

• Like 1

Â