Final Fantasy

hogso

Needn't have worried about my aim to do it in under 50 hours, it was about 48:45 in the end. Chuffed, bring on the next PSN release of an FF and the remake! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Final Fantasy XV Uncovered event last night confirmed the expected worldwide release date of 30th September 2016. It did throw up some unexpected things too though;

• A 'feature length' CGI movie called Kingsglaive, which will tell a story that runs concurrently with the main game. It features the voice talents of Sean Bean, Lena Headley, and Aaron Paul. It's being directed by Takeshi Nozue who previously co-directed Advent Children.
  • A spin off anime series called Brotherhood which acts as a prequel. There will be five 10 minute episodes, which will be available for free on Youtube. This is being produced by A1, who did the Persona and Valkyria Chronicles anime adaptations, and as such is in very safe hands.
  • A new demo entitled Premium Demo which was released around the world straight after the event. Bit of a misleading name though, it's not a demo at all (unlike Episode Duscae), but a standalone 'experience' which tells it's own story and introduces the gameplay elements. I'll post thoughts when I try it out later.
  • Perhaps most odd is a game fo iOS/Android/Windows 10 called JusticeMonstersFive which is a pinball game. This will be a mini game in the actual full game itself, but everyone will have the chance to play it soon outside of the game, it seems.
  • Florence + The Machine have covered Stand By Me which forms the basis of a trailer or something, apparently she's a fan of the series (maybe).

There's some other stuff too, details of the special editions (day one edition has some DLC, collector's edition has a steelcase, super edition has a model) and a new trailer. It's shaping up nicely, but you know the old saying about thing's seeming too good to be true...hopefully it's more that SE know they're on to something good so are going for the hard sell, and having played the first demo the gameplay at least is good, but who really knows until we can get our hands on the full thing.

Needless to say, it's a pre-order for me, regardless of the above. But then it always would have been.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

The Final Fantasy XV Uncovered event last night confirmed the expected worldwide release date of 30th September 2016. It did throw up some unexpected things too though;

• A 'feature length' CGI movie called Kingsglaive, which will tell a story that runs concurrently with the main game. It features the voice talents of Sean Bean, Lena Headley, and Aaron Paul. It's being directed by Takeshi Nozue who previously co-directed Advent Children.
  • A spin off anime series called Brotherhood which acts as a prequel. There will be five 10 minute episodes, which will be available for free on Youtube. This is being produced by A1, who did the Persona and Valkyria Chronicles anime adaptations, and as such is in very safe hands.
  • A new demo entitled Premium Demo which was released around the world straight after the event. Bit of a misleading name though, it's not a demo at all (unlike Episode Duscae), but a standalone 'experience' which tells it's own story and introduces the gameplay elements. I'll post thoughts when I try it out later.
  • Perhaps most odd is a game fo iOS/Android/Windows 10 called JusticeMonstersFive which is a pinball game. This will be a mini game in the actual full game itself, but everyone will have the chance to play it soon outside of the game, it seems.
  • Florence + The Machine have covered Stand By Me which forms the basis of a trailer or something, apparently she's a fan of the series (maybe).

There's some other stuff too, details of the special editions (day one edition has some DLC, collector's edition has a steelcase, super edition has a model) and a new trailer. It's shaping up nicely, but you know the old saying about thing's seeming too good to be true...hopefully it's more that SE know they're on to something good so are going for the hard sell, and having played the first demo the gameplay at least is good, but who really knows until we can get our hands on the full thing.

Needless to say, it's a pre-order for me, regardless of the above. But then it always would have been.

Im just downloading the demo now, did play Duscae but can't  really remember anything about it...not sure if that's a bad thing or not. 

Which version of Episode Duscae did you play? It did get patched which changed a bunch of stuff. I'm gonna play through that later and the new demo, which I've read is quite weird as it's set in a dream, and you're guided by Carbuncle...odd.

38 minutes ago, hogso said:

Which version of Episode Duscae did you play? It did get patched which changed a bunch of stuff. I'm gonna play through that later and the new demo, which I've read is quite weird as it's set in a dream, and you're guided by Carbuncle...odd.

Think when it first dropped, I played in over a couple days then just deleted it.

That's a shame, but I understand it does unlock stuff in the game proper. I'll be pre-ordered the deluxe edition later (steelbook case with a copy of Kingsglaive and some DLC)

15 minutes ago, hogso said:

That's a shame, but I understand it does unlock stuff in the game proper. I'll be pre-ordered the deluxe edition later (steelbook case with a copy of Kingsglaive and some DLC)

I couldn't find Duscae in the ps site but it was In my history on Xbox so I'm downloading it now to have a play through again.

I'm tempted to buy FFX/FFX-2 but isn't X-2 meant to be pretty poor? I never finished X though I really enjoyed it back when it came out.

Whats it like on ps4, do you still have to sit though 20 mins of cut scenes before a boss battle if you fail or can you now skip?

• Like 1

Well, Platinum Demo sure was odd. I presume the board meeting went something like this;

MR.BIG - "Who are you, where's the guy who did Episode Duscae? Do I know you?"
MR.SMALL - "Oh well, he is off sick at the moment, and yes, yes you do, I worked on Kingdom Hearts"
MB - "Right, well, ok, I want a unique product to show off the assets of the game. I want it cheaply, and I want it quickly - how can we do that?"
MS - "Er, hmm, how about a dream where Noctis is a kid? LIKE YOU ARE IN KINGDOM HEARTS! That way we can show off lot's of different landscapes and it will be in context!"
MB - "Well, I want to show everything. All of that time spent on weather effects and day/night cycles, put that in"
MS - "Yeesh, errr, we could put in buttons to change the time of day and the weather!"
MB - "Now we're getting somewhere. I also want to be able to show some vehicles, but I don't want any large environments, to keep the file size small"
MS - "Small, small...we SHRINK Noctis...BY MAGIC! And put him in a sparse room, with more buttons, that let you transform in to a car!"
MB - "Magic, good, but give us something familiar. Sparse? No, fill it with something."
MS - "OK, we'll have a spirit guide. Let me look at my encyclopedia of summons/GFs/Espers and pick one at random...CARBUNCLE! Fill it? Er, how about crystals to collect!"
MB - "I feel a bonus coming on. You're nearly there. Now we just need some combat"
MS - "Easy, we stick in some NIGHTMARE creatures, cos it's a DREAM"
MB - "That sounds a bit like Kingdom Hearts."
MS - "YES EXACTLY LIKE KINGDOM HEARTS. We can have TOYS FOR WEAPONS TOO. Even make an almost exact replica of TRAVERSE TOWN TO WALK AROUND. Then at the end there will be a big boss. That you can fight over and over if you want to for no reason at all"
MB - "Don't work too hard though, make sure you don't spend more than 5 minutes on the battle tutorial, we've done all that rubbish in Duscae already. Now we just need a name"
MS - "Final Fantasy XV: Noctis' Dream? Episode Kingdom Hearts? Carbuncle's Crystal Quest?"
MB - "No no no, no one will play it if we use those names, if it was a demo then people would play it, and it also needs to sound exclusive"
MS - ".............................Platinum Demo?"
MB - *smokes big cigar* "Be a sweetheart and put in a direct link to a pre-order page at the end too, K?"

Anyone with only a passing interest in the game, my cynicism shouldn't put you off entirely - but I would suggest you play Episode Duscae instead, which does an incredible job of showing off lots more of the gameplay, and actually takes some time to finish.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 2

The frame rates were dire & the dodge was utterly awful! I really don't see why they bothered with this. I get its to drum up interest but it's just baffling what was going on. There was literally no context to anything you were doing. 

Couple of my pals whom are being into FF games were screaming "it's a tech demo"

I bouhht X/X-2 last night forgot I had money on a game card so bought PS money with it:)

Edited by mightysasquatch

7 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Hope you enjoy the FFX playthrough as much as I did.

Miffed that dodging lightning 200 times in a row was a trophy though. Only 1 I didn't get. So close to platinum. >_<

I couldn't remember any of the start of the game. 

Just about to fight SINSPAWN GENEAUX & TENTACLES. 

I don't think a games made me so angry in a while as this, the part to gain the Jecht Shot. Gives you a tutorial then completely changes the prompts on screen....I was like how did i fail when it gave me no prompts to hit. Once I youtubed it I saw what was meant to happen, how stupid. 

Had to reload & replay over an hours worth <_<

& just as maddening you cannot skip the bleeping cutscenes 

Edited by mightysasquatch

Like I said before FFX is a good game but when you're trying to perfect it I just an overwhelming feeling that it was taking the piss out of me, almost like they knew people were doing it 7,8 and 9 and wanted the challenge, problem is 10 isn't a challenge it's a boring grind

I ended up just button mashing the thumbstick & X repeatedly when learning the shot.

What an absolutely ridiculous system, gives you a tutorial then no instruction that you're meant to press in the direction of the memories...it's still p***ing me off just thinking about it haha.

Anyway I'm reallly enjoying it atm, can relax as you play.

Â