Final Fantasy

hogso

I was sure there was an FF thread somewhere, I looked, couldnt find it. Oh well. So here is one for all the FF nerds, I am massive one tbf

Watched a long trailer for FF XII-2 today (had a bit of a trailer binge today, what with GTAV and Aliens aswell) and it looks pretty fantastic actually - although I am one of those who did enjoy FFXII immensely.

The story appears to pick up literally where FFXII ended, and involves some sort of Chrono Cross-esque time travelling story line. Which could be spectacular. Some differing landscapes in different time periods were shown off, all looked lovely.

Best news of all though - Chocobo Racing is back, man 8)

Release is early Feb '12

I hated XII. I was hyped for it, even managed to buy the hardback strat guide.

Let me down terribly. Never finished it. Got about 7 hours in and just couldn't bring myself to finish it.

IX is my favourite. Great game. Vivi for life yo'.

352360-bigthumbnail.jpg

The last one was **** terrible. No hyperbole, honest to God it was one of the worst games I've ever played (and I've played Custer's Revenge). It barely qualified as a game, it was pretty much a giant cutscene interspersed with two elements of gaming:

1. Walk down a corridor. Forever.

2. Fight a battle. Except, well... don't fight a battle, we'll do it for you. It was tantamount to Simon Says, and only one step above just having the game as one long QTE.

I hadn't actually played an FF iteration since about #8, so we're a full three generations of console ahead and the game is somehow more limited; how the **** does that work?! Ooh, it looks soooo pretty though. Well, if I'd wanted pretty, I'd have actually bought a **** movie because there's about the same level of audience participation in both. Traded it in after about 10 hours of doing nothing, and I'll be damned if I'm ever touching the series again (save for my old PS1 copy of FF7, which I love).

Yeh man, the battle system in FFXII is actually fantastic. In the downtime before the release of Batman and then Uncharted 3, I had another play through. Got much deeper into the 'post-game' than I had previously, beat all the marks, got most of the items on the way to the 'treasure hunter' trophy, maxed out the crystal-watsit for all characters. Didn't beat a Long Gui though. I might pick it back up again in the run up to FFXII-2 and try and finish it off for the platinum.

I am quite a fanboy though. Not so much that I have models and plushies and posters and tshirts and costumes and collectors editions and hard-back walkthroughs and limited edition actual drinkable Potion though, honest

final_fantasy_potion1.jpg

BUT I DO KIND OF WANT IT, kind of.

big_tonberry.jpg

^_^

I never used auto-attack outside of the tutorials, maybe that's why I got more out of the game. As you get further into the game, especially chapter 7 onwards, you need to have an element of skill and strategy otherwise you'll get raped.

I am quite a fanboy though. Not so much that I have models and plushies and posters and tshirts and costumes and collectors editions and hard-back walkthroughs and limited edition actual drinkable Potion though, honest

I have an image of you in my head, of when you finish your working day you stand up, twirl your pen in front of you then sling it on your back whilst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk.

I have an image of you in my head, of when you finish your working day you stand up, twirl your pen in front of you then sling it on your back whilst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk.

Is that a link to victory fanfare? I presume it is, I can't check at the mo. I don't do that but it is a wonderful idea. Victory fanfare is my text message alert though, so I do get hear a few times every day :D

DA-DA-DA-DAAAA DAAAA DAAAAA DA-DA-DAAAAAAAAA

Colour me unsurprised. :lol:

And yes it was. You should have the boss-battle music set as a ringtone for when your manager calls you, too.

You know the really good FFVII boss battle music? The one with the electronic guitar sounding riff? (the music played when you first fight the Scorpion thing at the beginning)

That's my ring tone. I want the victory fanfare though, send it me! :D

You know the really good FFVII boss battle music?

"DE-GE-DE-DER, DE-GE-DE-DER, DE-GE-DE-DIGA-DEDIGA-DEDIGADE, DE-GE-DE-DER, DE-GE-DE-DER, DE-GE-DE-DIGA-DEDIGA-DEDIGADE *key change* DE-GE-DE-DER, DE-GE-DE-DER, DE-GE-DE-DIGA-DEDIGA-DEDIGADE, DE-GE-DE-DER, DE-GE-DE-DER, DE-GE-DE-DIGA-DEDIGA-DEDIGADE..." et cetera.

FF7 is the Brett "The Hitman" Hart of video games.

"The best there was, there best there is and the best there ever will be."

Everything since that just got way over complicated...if it aint broke...

Amazing game, i have never even come close to putting in the hours on any other game like i did on that one!

Everything about it was perfect, huge playability, massive sub quests, nice range of well rounded characters and enemies. A quality score, an decent story and a huge map. Perfect.

Oh and of course men dressed as ladies. :D

EDIT :suspect: in before the obvious......

Final Fantasy XIII was an odd experience for me. I sort of enjoyed it because it was the first Ps3 game I owned and was quite in awe of the presentation and look. However, I can't argue with any of the criticism it got, the story was poor, the characters other than Sazh were extremely unlikeable and the Crystarium system seemed pretty pointless as you could max everything, so never had to make any choices.

Saying all that, I think the combat system has some potential, but only if they made the game harder, you could literally finish the game through spamming the X button and occasionally changing tactic. If the fights required a much larger range of attacks, strategy , planning I think it could be pretty decent.

All in all though, compared to its competitors its was a very linear game and even after killing the last boss, which was so incredibly simple, I found myself just running around killing large turtles to upgrade my weapons for no reason whatsoever. Odd game and probably needs a big re-think in future to bring that magic and depth back that it had over other games in the past.

Â