Ballon d'Or 2011

The_Rev

The Ballon D'or: who will win?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. The Ballon D'or: who will win?

• Leo Messi
    • Somebody else

More Leo Messi stuff, but I Heard this on the radio just now. Leo Messi has 202 goals and 84 assists in 286 games for Barcelona. He has been directly involved in a goal for every game he has played since his debut.

Looking at his record on Wikipedia (which is actually great for statistics) it is even more impressive since Barcelona sold Ronaldinho in 2008 and began to use Messi as the focal point of their attack. If you only count those games then he is on 160 goals and 64 assists in 170 appearances. The boy knows how to play.

why not? he was a major factor in Liverpool revival last season and in Ajax winning first league titel in many years

Because he's not even the best striker or player in the Premier League.

The competition will be an absolute farce if you get players like Suarez winning world player of the year. Yeah, he's excellent but the guy isn't on the same level as your Messi/Ronaldo/Xavi type players.

why not? he was a major factor in Liverpool revival last season and in Ajax winning first league titel in many years

Because he's not even the best striker or player in the Premier League.

The competition will be an absolute farce if you get players like Suarez winning world player of the year.

Can I introduce you to Michael Owen in 2001?

The idea that the Copa America is more important than say a Champions League is quite a funny one.

the idea Suarez deserves world player of the year over Ronaldo or Xavi is also extremely laughable.

I'd fully agree with that.

I'd also disagree with you statement that the average Champions League game is more important than the average European Championship game.

As an example, I can tell you off the top of my head that Spain won in 2008, Greece won in 2004, France won in 2000, Germany won in 1996, Denmark won in 1992, Netherlands won in 1988 and France won in 1984.

That's every European Championships in my lifetime, but I'd be hard pushed to tell you who won the equivalent Champions League or European Cup in any of those years. You?

Well to be honest, neither group stages (average) game is that great in either competition. Later stages though, I'd rather watch Real Madrid vs Man United and say Man City vs Barcelona then I would Spain vs France. Again, that's personal opinion though. Do also believe European football is far stronger than South American and has much more depth and real top players.

I do think club football is currently stronger than International football though.

Do also believe European football is far stronger than South American and has much more depth and real top players

but all best players for last 50 years are South Americans. Even at moment the majority are

Do also believe European football is far stronger than South American and has much more depth and real top players

but all best players for last 50 years are South Americans. Even at moment the majority are

So you honestly believe that Ronaldo, Xavi etc...should be ruled out and only Uruguay player should win the Best player in the world??

A competition with

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Venezuela, Colombia, Chile, Paraguay, Peru, Mexico is really a stronger competition than the Champions League. I don't see it myself.

A competition with

Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Venezuela, Colombia, Chile, Paraguay, Peru, Mexico is really a stronger competition than the Champions League. I don't see it myself.

a competition with Messi, Aguero, Tevez, Cavani, Lugano, Lavezzi, Suarez, Villar, Falcao, Mascherano, Pastore, Cambiasso, Ganso, Neymar, Lucio, Dani Alves, Julio Cesar, Zanetti, Sanchez, Armero among others in the oldest international tournament in the world when such predecessors include legends like Maradona, Pele, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Zico, Cubillas, Batistuta, Francescoli etc

much better and prestigious tournament that overrated Champions League which only realistically 1 of 6 teams will iwn.

How? Really? The Champions League handles pretty much all the best teams and players in the world, bar the odd couple. It is the tournament that shows the best against each other (in the knock outs)

We're talking about the Copa America for **** sake. It's a small factor but that's it, a small factor, maybe used to seperate two very identical performance years for their club, two players of similar ability.

Just like I wouldn't look at the Euro's best player in 2012 and automatically make one of them win it. It just clearly rules out certain players, when it should be the best player in the world.

For this reason, Ronaldo should never have got world playr of the year in 2002.

Copa America aside, there have been no major tournaments this year. So why is the list so overloaded with La Liga players compared to Premiership players? With United being the 2nd most successfull club side over the past year, surely someone like Vidic warrants a place on the list ahead of someone like Alonso or Fabregas?

Typical FIFA crap.

As has been mentioned before, difficult to take the award seriously after Milito's omission.

Typical FIFA crap.

its not voted by FIFA. am sure its either journalists or international coaches

Correct. It was always voted for by journalists until last year when FIFA dropped their world player of the year award and merged with the Ballon d'Or (presumably because they realised what we all knew, and the Ballon d'Or was the more prestigious award) so 2010 was the first year of the "new" version of this award. The only real difference now is that the captain of each international side also gets a vote.

Â