how much for your car??

donnie

Having put up with my old man's white van since I passed my test (I used to turn up to work really early just to ensure I could get an empty car park - it was awful!), I bought my Toyota Aygo last year on hire purchase. The freedom of having simple things like rear windows and a heater which isn't permenantly on full heat (whether or not I actually have it switched on) is amazing. Cost was about £8500ish at the start but as it's hire purchase, figures are skewed as in 2 years I can swap for a new model (I pay £133 a month) or decide to take up finance and pay off the remaining for another 2 years.

Tip: never drive a van as your first vehicle after passing your test. It's scary. Even scarier if (like me) you manage to leave the motorway, only to find that you've slipped a full water bottle underneath your brake peddle as you trundle down the slip road at 60 mph (1st gear and think of your loved ones). Not the van's fault I understand but I think it was cursed. Needless to say, I needed a whiskey on the evening after finally making it home in one piece, yes siree!

I paid £4,000 for a 2007 Mondeo a couple of years ago.

As CI said, I'd investigate what sort of prices you're talking about when it comes to repairs, especially with an older second hand car which will inevitably need parts replacing.

One of the main reasons people go for Mondeos and Focuses is that the parts are very easy and cheap to get hold of, so repairs and MOTs/Services become considerably cheaper.

The Audi A3 is quite a nice car though.

I paid around £5k for mine, it will hold it's price fairly well too. I just paid over the odds to have a full service too, but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run. First time driving in England/on a motorway today! Should be fun!

If you're buying an old audi, just be aware spares / parts may be a bit more pricey

Other than that, good solid car

Depends on what Audi it is. Value for money depends on which model it is, what fuel it runs on and what history it has.

I had a 96 N plate A4 2.6 V6 quattro sport for four years and parts were expensive, but friends who had the equivalent diesel 2wd A4 found a lot of parts copied over from VW. If it's an older car sites like partsgateway and breakeryard are your friends for spares, thus reducing costs further.

Remember to check the service history, MOT check the mileage to see if it is genuine and do a cheap online HPI check (costs about £5) to see if it has ever been crashed badly. And remember, the car's value drops off as the mileage increases.

As a rule of thumb, look on the autotrader at the private ads only and knock 10% of the asking prices. This is about the fair price for the car and you can be expected to haggle 10% off the asking price.

I bought a BMW 3-series on a Y plate just over a month ago. It does nearly 50mpg and drives like a dream. Cost me £2.5k with full BMW service history, full MOT and all the receipts and MOTs since registration.

About 4 months ago, my father bought a second-hand car for around S$25,000, which is slightly over £12,000. On top of that, law mandates that COEs (certificates of entitlement, basically ownership licenses that are subject to free market forces) be renewed every 10 years (or your car gets scrapped), and our current car has about umm 4 years left till its license expires. That's effectively paying S$25,000 to borrow a car for 4 years.

Right now, a new standard Japanese 5-seater in Singapore would set a family back by about S$100,000.

We have by far the most exorbitant car prices in the whole world.

I've got a 2003 Jaguar X Type 2.0 V6, paid £3200 for it just under twelve months ago.

Had a quick browse on the AutoTrader the other day and it seems to be worth only £2600 - £3000 tops for one like mine at the moment.

Not bothered though, you don't buy a motor as an investment, everyone knows they lose value and cost you money, sometimes a lot of money, I love my car and it's worth every penny when I'm driving it.

About 4 months ago, my father bought a second-hand car for around S$25,000, which is slightly over £12,000. On top of that, law mandates that COEs (certificates of entitlement, basically ownership licenses that are subject to free market forces) be renewed every 10 years (or your car gets scrapped), and our current car has about umm 4 years left till its license expires. That's effectively paying S$25,000 to borrow a car for 4 years.

Right now, a new standard Japanese 5-seater in Singapore would set a family back by about S$100,000.

We have by far the most exorbitant car prices in the whole world.

I have heard previously about SG car pricing, so out of interest I just checked the Toyota SG website and a Prius comes in at SGD 150k (GBP 75k), available for around GBP 25k in Thailand and the UK. That is expensive ! Mind you, on the bright side, at least SG is fairly compact with excellent public transport ! :)

As for me, I have a Corolla Altis which cost me around GBP 15k. Looking to sell soon, it's now 3 years old but cars hold their value very,very well in Thailand, so I should get back over GBP 10k which I can put as a healthy deposit on a Mitsubishi Pajero Sport ( GBP 20k). No Pajero jokes gentlemen if you please. :winkold:

I've got a 2003 Jaguar X Type 2.0 V6, paid £3200 for it just under twelve months ago.

Very nice. I'd love to get a 2nd hand Jag but too expensive over here as something like 250% import duty on non-thai manufactured cars. Looks like 2003 X-type is around GBP 20k and up.

2nd hand X-Types

I think this XJ-S is an absolute beauty (apart from the seats- WTF were they thinking ?) but again GBP 20k is a bit rich for me.

1987 XJ-S

BMW 1 series coupe 120d m sport

See this genuinely confuses me. The shape is nice, but WHY? Golf GTI or 2nd hand R32 look good, drive better and would have come in at least 5k cheaper.....

I just bought an Alfa Romeo Giulietta on Friday. Really, really pleased with it so far but can't drive it to capacity until my leg is fully healed from surgery. I had a Nissan Qashqai before that and really liked it but the Alfa is different class.

I really like those Giuliettas. I'd love one.

MIne's a 2006 Golf. Bought it for 8 grand just over 2 years ago.

Great car. but I regret it now that I have a mortgage to pay. At the time I could probably have afforded to buy a car outright for about 5 grand.

But now I'm stuck with 2 more years of £180 per month payments.