• Petrov
    • Herd
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Albrighton (for N'Zogbia 87)

Full credit to all who trudged up there and back today

The support again came across as superb. Credit to the club

I'm glad someone mentioned this - there was a decent turnout, and fair play to everyone who pays their money to come and watch the team when we are awful to watch.

However, I have to say, some supporters behaviour suprises me! Maybe I'm boring, but our away fans spend most of the time goading the home teams fans and the police and stewards (not just chants, but physically turning away from the game and watching the opposition fans rather than watching the game! I don't get it, if you've paid 30 quid for a ticket plus travel etc. you would think that watching the majority of the match would be a priority.

I also think its a sign of the times that we need to goad Sunderland fans, other than Darrent Bent and Steve Bruce, we don't have much rivalry with them or history (I don't think so anyway), so why when we go 1-0 up do we need to turn on their fans and tell they are shit etc when they havn't provoked us at all other than chants about Darren Bent. If we are a bigger club than them, we should have the class to not even bother singing about them. Its like the Birmingham argument, we are bigger and better than them (in theory) so we shouldn't waste our time focussing on them!

Also, I thought the stewards and police were brilliant yesterday, they let the away fans stand up for the whole match without complaint, but still come muppets manage to get in trouble.

Like I said, maybe I'm just boring!

Are you a Sunderland fan in disguise? I assume you made the trip up yesterday or this just a 1 off? Away games are different and mockery of the home fans is always expected, especially with the whole Darren Bent situation going on aswell. But it's the same when away fans come to Villa Park. It just happens, and some blokes give it alot worse than others.

When they equalised 2-2 yesterday the Police were having more trouble holding their fans back than they did for any of our lot throughout the whole game! I also got something thrown at me and **** all was done about it yet one of our lot go threw straight out.

I'm not excusing the behaviour of any Sunderland fans, I'm just telling you what I saw, I've got no reason to lie. Just because I make a point which doesn't agree with the consensus i.e. our away fans are great and do nothing and we get hard done by, I don't see how that makes me any less of a villa fan than anyone else. I go to 4-5 away games a season (the most I can given where I live and what I earn), rather than home games, because the atmosphere and the fans are better in general - but that doesn't mean I should close my eyes and ignore when people are being rocket polishers. Being a policeman, at football and in general, is a very tough job, and I think it pathetic that people seem to have no respect for police these days. Stewards is one thing, but police officers are totally different.

Full credit to all who trudged up there and back today

The support again came across as superb. Credit to the club

I'm glad someone mentioned this - there was a decent turnout, and fair play to everyone who pays their money to come and watch the team when we are awful to watch.

However, I have to say, some supporters behaviour suprises me! Maybe I'm boring, but our away fans spend most of the time goading the home teams fans and the police and stewards (not just chants, but physically turning away from the game and watching the opposition fans rather than watching the game! I don't get it, if you've paid 30 quid for a ticket plus travel etc. you would think that watching the majority of the match would be a priority.

I also think its a sign of the times that we need to goad Sunderland fans, other than Darrent Bent and Steve Bruce, we don't have much rivalry with them or history (I don't think so anyway), so why when we go 1-0 up do we need to turn on their fans and tell they are shit etc when they havn't provoked us at all other than chants about Darren Bent. If we are a bigger club than them, we should have the class to not even bother singing about them. Its like the Birmingham argument, we are bigger and better than them (in theory) so we shouldn't waste our time focussing on them!

Also, I thought the stewards and police were brilliant yesterday, they let the away fans stand up for the whole match without complaint, but still come muppets manage to get in trouble.

Like I said, maybe I'm just boring!

Totally disagree with this as all away-day regulars would do so to. Sunderland are notorious for having one of the worst sets of stewards going - and in fact have been nicknamed 'the mafia' by many football fans from various clubs before. They did try and get people in the lower section to sit down at the start, but in the end gave up when they realised the whole away section was standing and they would be fighting a losing battle. Watch them reduce our allocation next season now.

Yet when the half-time incident occurred, and the stewards actually needed to deploy what limited powers they do have, they were nowhere to be seen for a good five minutes whilst our own fans had to try and defuse the situation. When they did arrive, instead of dealing with the situation swifty they looked utterly clueless.

Your statement about the rivalry with Blues sums it up for me to be honest. You don't live in the area and don't understand the hatred which exists - that's fair enough but don't preach to those who go week in, week out what we should/shouldn't sing. Our away fans, on the whole, are class in terms of singing and banter with the opposition, which is what makes away days so much better than home fixtures.

Just before our second goal went in, I was stood in the gangway three rows from the top of the stand. When Sunderland kicked off again after Dunne’s goal I was stood five rows from the front still jumping up and down – did I celebrate too much? It’s these euphoric moments which still make modern day football vaguely bearable.

If you want a sedate atmosphere, a comfy chair, and no banter with the opposition - Villa Park is the place to go. If you want to get pissed, sing your heart out for the lads, make up some funny new chants, stand, and generally go mental (within reason) then welcome to a Villa away game. Very disappointed to hear another Villa fan moaning about it, it’s certainly nothing new.

Well to be honest, this sums up the problem. People can't make an observation about "some" villa fans (read my post back, I said "some" fans, not all fans) without being told you don't know what you're talking about. I was stood there celebrating the goal just like you, just like everyone else, but the people in front of me were not just goading Sunderland fans, they are telling the police and stewards to "F off". Like I say, I wasn't drunk on this occasion, and I was suprised by what I saw. I sang, chanted and celebrated like everyone else mate, I just didn't feel the need to behave like a dickhead. Just because someone goes to game week in week out that doesn't give them a divine right to be have like an arse (I'm not referring to you, I'm just making a general statement). And I was just expressing an opinion when I said I think we should be bigger than Sunderland and that I'd rather watch the game than watch their fans.

On your other point about the Blues, maybe you are right, I don't live in the area so maybe I don't understand the rivalry as much as others - if you read any of the posts I've ever made on here, I've never suggested otherwise.

I respect your viewpoint and agree with you that their is a small minority who can't handle the beer and take it too far. These people should be warned and then, if they still persist, chucked out. Simple as that. But I don't conform to the view that this was any different to any other away game and perhaps the fact you say you were sober for once made you more sensitive to the actions going on around you?

Respect for the police, that is a given, and I fully agree. But we didn't single Sunderland fans out for stick any more than we do at any other away day. And their stewards don't get any sympathy from me after the way I've seen them behave in past seasons.

The away support was class in my book and doesn't need tarnishing by people making a big deal out of a few 16-year-olds who got a bit too excited following a warm pint of Carling. Just my opinion.

4 points thrown away now in the last few minutes of games away from home. First QPR now this shit.

Sorry but this is going to be a long, hard and shit season.

Get Clark or Cuellar in the back 4. How the **** can we keep conceding so many late goals in the first and second half of any game?

2 seasons now we have put up with this shit. Sort it out McLeish. You're being paid £2.5m a year to do that

its been happening for 30 years i dont know why it surprises people now

Â