Jimmy Savile And Other Paedophiles

GarethRDR

What I don't get is what it is about paedos that makes people queue up to express their disgust. I mean I can think of a few things that are just as bad, even arguably worse, that go on all the time that nobody really comments on.

People stoning adulterers to death in the Middle East?

Serial killers?

Mass enslavement in, e.g. Qatar?

Insidious, amoral and cynical predatory capitalism destroying the environment?

Orwellian surveillance of every single person on the planet?

Tony Blair?

(*sits back and waits to be called a paedo*)

Because those crimes are, in the main, crimes committed against adults. Adults that have the ability to rise up and defend themselves against enslavement, capitalism and the NSA. Children are venerable, we should be protecting and nurturing them rather than raping them. That should be instinctual and is in the vast majority of human beings, hence it's as emotive a subject as it is.

I think that's a good thing personally, but each to their own eh.

Yeah that.

Ok you could argue that an adulterer being stoned to death can't defend themselves. But at least it's as a result of something they've done. They've committed adultery in a country where that is the punishment. It's a very harsh punishment and one I wouldn't agree with, but they've still had to make a conscious decision to do what they've done. They have at least some control over what's happened to them.

Hardly compares to raping an 11 month old child.

It's preying on the totally and utterly innocent.

I suspect it's as a result of the world we live in as much as anything. Here in Britain, there is nothing worse than a paedophile or a racist, heaven forbid a racist paedophile. Attitudes tend to be fostered through the media and the world that surrounds us. You only have to look at our country's history with paedophiles to realise that attitudes are often shaped by contemporary trends rather than internal instincts (there was once a time when few people batted an eyelid at racism and the likes of Gary Glitter).

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 1

What I don't get is what it is about paedos that makes people queue up to express their disgust. I mean I can think of a few things that are just as bad, even arguably worse, that go on all the time that nobody really comments on.

People stoning adulterers to death in the Middle East?

Serial killers?

Mass enslavement in, e.g. Qatar?

Insidious, amoral and cynical predatory capitalism destroying the environment?

Orwellian surveillance of every single person on the planet?

Tony Blair?

(*sits back and waits to be called a paedo*)

Because those crimes are, in the main, crimes committed against adults. Adults that have the ability to rise up and defend themselves against enslavement, capitalism and the NSA. Children are venerable, we should be protecting and nurturing them rather than raping them. That should be instinctual and is in the vast majority of human beings, hence it's as emotive a subject as it is.

Yeah that.

Ok you could argue that an adulterer being stoned to death can't defend themselves. But at least it's as a result of something they've done. They've committed adultery in a country where that is the punishment. It's a very harsh punishment and one I wouldn't agree with, but they've still had to make a conscious decision to do what they've done. They have at least some control over what's happened to them.

Hardly compares to raping an 11 month old child.

It's preying on the totally and utterly innocent.

Well I agree with both of you, but all either of you is really saying is that it's a despicable crime. The potential to argue that other issues are more important or less important is endless. For instance, how many equally innocent children are going to actually DIE because of rampant capitalism, environmental damage and unjust wars? Yes, the sick **** in question are doing their deeds callously and deliberately, but their victims are, at worst, in the tens rather than the millions.

Sometimes I think that people avoid thinking about those other things because it just requires more brain effort.

• Like 4

Individual child is abused - solution = rescue child, lock up offender. SImple. So it will (at least some of the time) get done. 

Millions of children living in hellish conditions - solution = change the way the world works. Not simple. So it will never get done. 

Individual child is abused - solution = rescue child, lock up offender. SImple. So it will (at least some of the time) get done. 

Millions of children living in hellish conditions - solution = change the way the world works. Not simple. So it will never get done. 

Very true. Although there is another possible equation:

Millions of children living in hellish conditions - solution = Improve  the way the world works, starting by talking about it and making everyone realise that the stuff is important. Just as important, in fact, as catching paedos.

I suspect it's as a result of the world we live in as much as anything. Here in Britain, there is nothing worse than a paedophile or a racist, heaven forbid a racist paedophile. Attitudes tend to be fostered through the media and the world that surrounds us. You only have to look at our country's history with paedophiles to realise that attitudes are often shaped by contemporary trends rather than internal instincts (there was once a time when few people batted an eyelid at racism and the likes of Gary Glitter).

If I'm honest, I'm a bit "meh" about racism. Being mean to somebody, for whatever reason, is not really a crime in my book. It's when that meanness turns into something else, incitement or indeed violence that we need to sit up and take notice.

Waits for posts accusing me of being a racist!

See that's the kind of thing that makes it impossible to have a proper debate about it. It's like people feel like they're forced to express disgust and point the finger somewhere else so they can make sure no ones looking at them.

Not everyone who doesn't immediately jump to the 'sick pervert should be strung up' mentality is a raving paedo. It would be much more helpful if people didn't make out like that's how it is.

• Like 3

I suspect it's as a result of the world we live in as much as anything. Here in Britain, there is nothing worse than a paedophile or a racist, heaven forbid a racist paedophile. Attitudes tend to be fostered

through the media and the world that surrounds us. You only have to look at our country's history with paedophiles to realise that attitudes are often shaped by contemporary trends rather than internal instincts (there was once a time when few people batted an eyelid at racism and the likes of Gary Glitter).

If I'm honest, I'm a bit "meh" about racism. Being mean to somebody, for whatever reason, is not really a crime in my book. It's when that meanness turns into something else, incitement or indeed violence that we need to sit up and take notice.

Well, kudos for bravery, at least!

It's easy to be meh about racism as a white dude in a white-run country. Minorities are vulnerable, and EVERYONE is in the minority in some way or other.

When being mean to people is tolerated it always leads to worse.

Waits for posts accusing me of being a racist!

That's the point though isn't it, it becomes almost impossible to talk about either subject objectively.

• Like 1

I suspect it's as a result of the world we live in as much as anything. Here in Britain, there is nothing worse than a paedophile or a racist, heaven forbid a racist paedophile. Attitudes tend to be fostered

through the media and the world that surrounds us. You only have to look at our country's history with paedophiles to realise that attitudes are often shaped by contemporary trends rather than internal instincts (there was once a time when few people batted an eyelid at racism and the likes of Gary Glitter).

Well, kudos for bravery, at least!

It's easy to be meh about racism as a white dude in a white-run country. Minorities are vulnerable, and EVERYONE is in the minority in some way or other.

Some fella called me a word removed on the bus earlier. I was close to punching his lights out, but by no means should he go to jail for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm anti-racism. In much the same way as I'm anti-anything that undermines society. It's just all a bit farcical in 2013, at least in the UK. The BNP are a joke.

Racially motivated crime is a whole other thing.

See that's the kind of thing that makes it impossible to have a proper debate about it. It's like people feel like they're forced to express disgust and point the finger somewhere else so they can make sure no ones looking at them.

Not everyone who doesn't immediately jump to the 'sick pervert should be strung up' mentality is a raving paedo. It would be much more helpful if people didn't make out like that's how it is.

I never said any of that. You've taken one admittedly flippant comment out of context. I'm here debating it, right now, my mind is open. It's you who chose to box me in there.

(Except I'm going to the gym, so later!)

Some fella called me a word removed on the bus earlier. I was close to punching his lights out, but by no means should he go to jail for it.

If you were close to punching his lights out, it must have had an effect on you. I think if somebody called you a word removed on every bus you rode it would have a lot more of an effect. I agree that sometimes people fall over themselves to be anti-racist to the point of nausea, but make no mistake, it IS a serious thing with ultimately serious consequences.

For what it's worth I'm not one of the "string em up" brigade. I have long prescribed to the belief that paedophillia is a curable mental illness of sorts. Those that suffer from it should pay for their crimes absolutely, but that beyond that they should also be held until such a time as they can be considered "cured".

How that would work I don't know, but thanks to said "foaming at the mouth" I don't think the funding will ever be in place to explore said theory.

If you were close to punching his lights out, it must have had an effect on you. I think if somebody called you a word removed on every bus you rode it would have a lot more of an effect. I agree that sometimes people fall over themselves to be anti-racist to the point of nausea, but make no mistake, it IS a serious thing with ultimately serious consequences.

Where in society is this person racially abused on a daily basis? What are the consequences of this? Abuse is abuse, genocide is genocide, the motivations for those actions are ultimately irrelevant.

Words are also meaningless, it's the context that counts.

In every other context or use, the suffix '-phile' has a positive connotation. Francophile, bibliophile etc. Its use has never sat right with me in the context of the word paedophile as it is a wholly negative one, and you could argue this lot actually pure hate children. Anyhoo, that's slightly beside the point. Just thought I'd mention it :)

• Like 1

Where in society is this person racially abused on a daily basis? What are the consequences of this? Abuse is abuse, genocide is genocide, the motivations for those actions are ultimately irrelevant.

Words are also meaningless, it's the context that counts.

Not sure what you're saying by that, but I envy you if words really have no effect on you. They do on me and I think most people, so you'd be wise to be aware of that if you aren't already.

Â