Jimmy Savile And Other Paedophiles

GarethRDR

See any of that Kenny Everett night on BBC4 last night? They showed a 1973 TOTP where (I know he was gay, but...) he was leering all over these young girls, and said to one of them: "Mmmm, what a fine pair of udders you have". Wouldn't get away with it nowadays.

Some interesting stuff out there about Savile taking kids from Haut la Garenne to visit Morning Cloud, and a cover-up organised by the illegitimate child of George V who became a soviet spy and Keeper of the Queen's Pictures.

Just watched the programme, evidence is pretty damning, strange that Esther Rantzen was quite happy to be filmed basically calling him guilty. It seems he was put on a pedestal that nobody dared knock him off, for various reasons, even a suggestion that the BBC had covered things up in the past.

Well that was some strong stuff last night. Horrible that he was let get away with it. I never had him as a particularly physically imposing character but it appears as though plenty of the adults were physically scared of telling on him. And the clip of him and Glitter was fairly chilling. His defence of Glitter was damning too if anyone had any doubts to that point.

I have neither seen the programme nor read this thread, so of course I'm going to be in a minority again...

I don't wish to be insensitive, or perhaps I'm just stupid or missing something obvious... but I just don't get the point of going into all this after the fellow is dead. After all it's not as if it happened recently and there was no time to charge him... this was already ancient history when he died.

What will really piss me off, is if we start spending money on another bloody inquiry.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

Watch the programme A.J.

And it's not about him at this point. It's about the victims. People who are very much not dead and who felt they couldn't speak about it until now.

I'm going to be brave here, and I'm only really saying this for the sake of conversation...

But.

Is it fair to come to such damming conclusions when the guy is no longer around to defend himself?

Everyone, myself included, is pretty set on the idea that he was a vile human being, but it's a pretty one sided arguement when there's no one around to defend him.

I have neither seen the programme nor read this thread, so of course I'm going to be in a minority again...

I don't wish to be insensitive, or perhaps I'm just stupid or missing something obvious... but I just don't get the point of going into all this after the fellow is dead. After all it's not as if it happened recently and there was no time to charge him... this was already ancient history when he died.

What will really piss me off, is if we start spending money on another bloody inquiry.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

If there was a cover up at the BBC, and/or other public figures were involved, then it needs investigating.

Is it fair to come to such damming conclusions when the guy is no longer around to defend himself?

It's perhaps not ideal, but that's not to say it's unfair. The Q.C. eloquently explained why both the volume of complaints and more importantly the similarities of the attacks allied to the 3rd party eye witness corroborations made it definitely grounds for arrest had he been around. But the sad thing is the nature of the affect it had on the victims means this never would have happened while he was still around. We can't dismiss what happened to the women just because this P.O.S. is now dead.

Watch the programme A.J.

And it's not about him at this point. It's about the victims. People who are very much not dead and who felt they couldn't speak about it until now.

I hear what you're saying... but with so many victims, it seems extraordinary they could not put a case together when he was still alive; and whilst recognising how difficult it is to empathise with the victims of such crimes, I still don't entirely understand why they couldn't speak out earlier.

Incidentally, I used to see him once a year at the Dunhill cigar tasting in Jermyn Street, and though never swapping more than a few words with him, he always struck me as rather creepy.... then again, I feel like that about most notherners.

I think it is a fair point that making allegations against somebody who is no longer able to respond is perhaps unfair. However, it is not quite as simple in this case, we are not talking about somebody coming along with a pack of lies to try to make some money off somebody who is dead. These are people who have corroborated one anothers stories, there is evidence from adults who were around him at the time the allegations date from etc etc.

Nobody (except ITV and that might change if anyone does an exclusive for a paper/magazine) appears to be gaining from this and the accusers are remaining anonomous, simple case that those who lived in fear for one reason or another are now strong enough to come forward, if Savile's death prompted them to gain that courage it doesn't make it any less relevant.

Odd program i agree with these thoughts...

Half of it men who knew Savile saying "I saw him in bed with a 12 year old. It didn't feel right somehow but I went home and had my tea and everything was fine then"

Half of it women who said "I went to his dressing room, he took me behind the curtain and stuck a hand on my booby and 2 hands down my knickers. It was awful. I hated it. I then went back every week for the next 5 years"

Â