Ryan Air

Demitri_C

The A14, Stanstead Airport and Ryanair all in one day has to rank as one of the most painful experiences in life

The Radisson at Stansted ranks for me as the best on site airport hotel in the UK. Good restaurant and room service and hotel to check in desk in just 5 minutes.

Bristol airport has to be the most ridiculous airport to get to.

If you get chance, check out the new Radisson Blu hotel at East Mids airport, it's class

Finally, one-star. Air Koryo of North Korea is the only contender. This state-owned national flag carrier flies an aging fleet of Russian-built, Soviet-era aircraft. Little is known about its service standards, but given that it is the only airline in the SkyTrax listings to hold the less-than-coveted one-star ranking, it is probably best avoided.

Yikes ..I'm flying with them in April ..best check my life insurance is up to date

Finally, one-star. Air Koryo of North Korea is the only contender. This state-owned national flag carrier flies an aging fleet of Russian-built, Soviet-era aircraft. Little is known about its service standards, but given that it is the only airline in the SkyTrax listings to hold the less-than-coveted one-star ranking, it is probably best avoided.

Yikes ..I'm flying with them in April ..best check my life insurance is up to date

If you are flying Beijing-Pyongyang, the principle aircraft used is a relatively modern Russian built one. As they don't fly much, they are probably much safer than a Ryanair 737-800 that has been chucked together and thumps into a hard runway 8 times a day.

If you are flying Beijing-Pyongyang, the principle aircraft used is a relatively modern Russian built one. As they don't fly much, they are probably much safer than a Ryanair 737-800 that has been chucked together and thumps into a hard runway 8 times a day.

yep that's the route i'm on ... can cancel that insurance after all :-)

regardless of what you say, its the most profitable airline in the world.....

No they are not

Profitability may be easier to gauge. According to latest data from Air Transport World’s ‘World Airline Report’, the top 10 airlines in terms of annual net profit are:

1. Qantas

2. Lufthansa

3. Turkish Airlines

4. Singapore Airlines

5. LAN (Chile, Peru, Ecuador)

6. Emirates

7. Aeroflot

8. Southwest Airlines

9. Air New Zealand

10. COPA (Panama)

The 20 biggest airlines in the world, ranked by RPKs by the same source and excluding regional subsidiaries are:

1. The new United (the pending merger between United and Continental)

2. Delta Air Lines

3. American Airlines

4. Air France/KLM (counted together because of ownership, though they operate separately)

5. Lufthansa

6. Southwest Airlines

7. British Airways

8. Emirates

9. US Airways

10. Cathay Pacific

11. Singapore Airlines

12. Japan Airlines (JAL)

13. Qantas

14. China Southern

15. Air Canada

16. Air China

17. All Nippon Airways (ANA)

18. THAI Airways

19. Ryanair

20. Korean Air

As for measuring quality, the world authority is generally considered to be SkyTrax, an independent British-based organisation that ranks carriers and airports after exhaustive scrutiny. It ranks airlines from five stars to one star.

Five-star carriers at the moment, the cream of the world’s skies according to SkyTrax, are: Asiana, Cathay Pacific, Kingfisher Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines.

Four star carriers are: Hainan Airlines, Japan Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Porter Airlines (a Canadian carrier), Qantas Airways, Silk Air, South African Airways, Swiss International Air Lines, Thai Airways, Turkish Airlines, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Blue.

SkyTrax lists the bulk of the world’s carriers (including virtually all US airlines) as three-star, which it defines as denoting a satisfactory standard of core product across most travel categories – “but reflects poor or less-consistent standards of staff service/product quality in selected onboard or airport features”.

Continuing on down, two-star airlines include the likes of Air Malawi, Air Slovakia, Biman Bangladesh, Bulgaria Air and Cubana Airlines. JetStar Pacific, bmibaby and Ryanair sit uneasily in this category, among other two-star carriers like Ghana International, Macedonian Airlines, Nepal Airlines, Siberia Airlines, Sudan Airways, Tajikistan Airlines and Yemenia Yemen Airways.

Then again, at least Air Koryo possesses one star, signifying “some very poor standards of product across the ranking sectors, with poor, inconsistent standards of staff service delivery in onboard and airport environments”, according to StarTrax. That’s still a lot better than many unclassified airlines. The unclassified category covers airlines that are either still subject to a Star Ranking review, and airlines that have been dropped or suspended from the Star Ranking program.

The latter includes carriers banned by the EU from operating in European airspace. This fearsomely long list includes Siem Reap Airways International of Cambodia, Benin Golf Air from the Republic of Benin, Bravo Air Congo from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kartika Airlines from Indonesia, Air Trust Company from Kazakhstan, Golden Rule Airlines from the Kyrgyz Republic, Transglobal Airways Corporation from the Philippines and many more.

Written by Peter Needham

Sorry, operating profits that is

Kinda off topic,but flying back to NZ in a few weeks for a holiday.Flying Cathay Pacific for the 1st time.Anyone flown with them?

I'm flying with them in 3 weeks to Hong Kong. My mate used them earlier this year to get to Manila and said they were superb. Their reputation is excellent - one of only 7 5-star airlines in the world (ratings from Skytrax)

And can anyone tell me how many Ryanair flights have ever crashed? None? Air Travel is still statistically the safest form of travel, and Ryanair do not have a compromised safety record...

good point.

Ryanair lost a brand new 737 which emergency landed in Rome two or three years back. The severity of the (crash) landing rendered the aircraft a write off. The reason was a heavy bird strike just after departure, which could of course affect any carrier. The professionalism of the cockpit crew was pivotal in bringing a desperate situation to a safe conclusion.

Why does VT change my typing of 'of' to 'have' :?

Grammar Nazism is the short answer i believe :-)

I am a card carrying member :winkold:

But in this case it is wrong!

And there was me blaming this stupid Jobs product that I use........

Why does VT change my typing of 'of' to 'have' :?

Grammar Nazism is the short answer i believe :-)

I am a card carrying member :winkold:

But in this case it is wrong!

And there was me blaming this stupid Jobs product that I use........

Actually I believe in the sense you meant it, it is indeed wrong, there should be a comma between could and of

how can they charge to go to the toilet or even worse not have any on board? surely that has to be illegal. if you need to pee then what? be very disgusting experience espically to those who have urological problems

We're just letting this slide then yeah?

Daily Mailitis

My thoughts exactly. One point is a myth and the other is either a misunderstanding or a deliberate dismissal of the article in the original post.

Â