World Population

CI

I guess USA, Australia & Russia could hold a couple of extra billion people between them.

If we could terraform, and reverse the deserts, we'd probably be able to hold another couple of billion people.

All eating Soylent Green.

i don't think food is the issue, its water.

we (the whole of earth) currently produce enough food to feed the world population (not that it did feed them due to other reasons). and thats with very inefficient processes in half the world. if we became globaly efficient and tried producing more food, i think tripling food production isn't an issue.

water though, a major problem.

I guess USA, Australia & Russia could hold a couple of extra billion people between them.

If we could terraform, and reverse the deserts, we'd probably be able to hold another couple of billion people.

All eating Soylent Green.

i don't think food is the issue, its water.

we (the whole of earth) currently produce enough food to feed the world population (not that it did feed them due to other reasons). and thats with very inefficient processes in half the world. if we became globaly efficient and tried producing more food, i think tripling food production isn't an issue.

water though, a major problem.

Desalination can't be THAT hard. The planet is **** covered in the stuff, the issue is just getting it to the right places. Shouldn't be beyond 21st century technology.

Desalination can't be THAT hard. The planet is **** covered in the stuff, the issue is just getting it to the right places. Shouldn't be beyond 21st century technology.

i think the energy requirement of desalination means that its not feasible until we can do cold fusion, mega solar towers, or some other low-cost renewable energy.

If nuclear war destroys humanity and most of the rest of life, a good bet for survival in the short term, and for evolutionary ancestry in the long term, is rats. I have a post-Armageddon vision. We and all other large animals are gone. Rodents emerge as the ultimate post-human scavengers. They gnaw their way through New York, London and Tokyo, digesting spilled larders, ghost supermarkets and human corpses and turning them into new generations of rats and mice, whose racing populations explode out of the cities and into the countryside. When all the relics of human profligacy are eaten, populations crash again, and the rodents turn on each other, and on the cockroaches scavenging with them. In a period of intense competition, short generations perhaps with radioactivity enhanced mutation-rates boost rapid evolution. With human ships and planes gone, islands become islands again, with local populations isolated save for occasional lucky raftings: ideal conditions for evolutionary divergence. Within 5 million years, a whole range of new species replace the ones we know. Herds of giant grazing rats are stalked by sabre-toothed predatory rats. Given enough time, will a species of intelligent, cultivated rats emerge? Will rodent historians and scientists eventually organise careful archaeological digs (gnaws?) through the strata of our long-compacted cities, and reconstruct the peculiar and temporarily tragic circumstances that gave ratkind its big break?

Rodent historians and scientists :shock:

If nuclear war destroys humanity and most of the rest of life, a good bet for survival in the short term, and for evolutionary ancestry in the long term, is rats. I have a post-Armageddon vision. We and all other large animals are gone. Rodents emerge as the ultimate post-human scavengers. They gnaw their way through New York, London and Tokyo, digesting spilled larders, ghost supermarkets and human corpses and turning them into new generations of rats and mice, whose racing populations explode out of the cities and into the countryside. When all the relics of human profligacy are eaten, populations crash again, and the rodents turn on each other, and on the cockroaches scavenging with them. In a period of intense competition, short generations perhaps with radioactivity enhanced mutation-rates boost rapid evolution. With human ships and planes gone, islands become islands again, with local populations isolated save for occasional lucky raftings: ideal conditions for evolutionary divergence. Within 5 million years, a whole range of new species replace the ones we know. Herds of giant grazing rats are stalked by sabre-toothed predatory rats. Given enough time, will a species of intelligent, cultivated rats emerge? Will rodent historians and scientists eventually organise careful archaeological digs (gnaws?) through the strata of our long-compacted cities, and reconstruct the peculiar and temporarily tragic circumstances that gave ratkind its big break?

Rodent historians and scientists :shock:

Not a bad shout though.... the last major global extinction 65million years ago (estimated force 1billion nuclear warheads) ensured that no creature weighing over 25kg survived.......

the last major global extinction 65million years ago (estimated force 1billion nuclear warheads) ensured that no creature weighing over 25kg survived.......
I find this hard to believe. For one thing, they wouldn't have had scales to weigh them in those days...

:)

the last major global extinction 65million years ago (estimated force 1billion nuclear warheads) ensured that no creature weighing over 25kg survived.......
I find this hard to believe. For one thing, they wouldn't have had scales to weigh them in those days...

:)

The BBC said it last Wednesday and they never lie...... :D

Well it is. You might as well have said that that the earth can support 100x it's current population and it'd have exactly the same basis.

There's people that actually study this, and most of them agree the earth is over populated.

But of course your "logic" states it can support twice as many people, so what do they know.

It's my opinion dude, there's no need to get all angsty about it. I'm sure I could pull a few articles "out of my ass" that beg to differ with you, I did find one or two. But I really don't mind that much. It's a bit of an inane question that both you and I will never find the answer to.

Just be a bit more polite eh? It's OT after all.

When I was born, I was the 2,702,422,566th person alive on Earth, and the 76,036,589,138th person to have lived since history began (according to this).

When I was born, I was the:

4,816,284,389th

person alive on Earth, and I am the:

79,614,672,406th

person to have lived since history began

Â