World Population

CI

what's next? some emerging economies will need to find adequate housing for their ever booming population, and then put an end to the culture of having loads of babies by putting the aforementioned droves into adequate education and providing adequate jobs for these people to go into after.

before that, a few wars will kill a few million, some flooding will take care of people in low-lying countries, droughts/famine/disease will do a job too.

nothing much will change here.

it's fun making wild predictions.

Same thing thats always happened - we continue to spread. We will do so until we no longer can survive, which may take some time as we like no other sentient being can exploit our surroundings to our own end.

The world is quite capable of supporting more people comfortably and healthy. Unfortunately that does not mean to the extent of comfort we enjoy, and certainly less than that the US does. That the rising powers want that life too will make things awkward for us - they already are in fact. (In time, this may/will lead to major armed conflict again).

Most of what we might perceive as life becoming 'difficult' a great many people on this planet would kill to enjoy. 'First world whine' is the unkind term (and not one I particularly agree with, but hey).

Unforseen technological breakthroughs, climate change, the struggle for resources (water next) and general religious lunacy make it difficult to call.

A workable society model is required now, or our ancestors will be cursing our legacy for the next x thousand years.

:|

**** em. As long as the world doesnt go to shit before my grandkids are pushing up daisies then I am kinda cool with being comfortable on the back of oil and subsidised farming.

the culture of apathy, innit.

real change comes from anger, and it's hard to be angry when you have a roof and an xbox360 to come home to after a working day.

the corporations won, man.

to quote a wonderful film.

You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! And YOU have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and YOU... WILL... ATONE! Am I getting through to you, Mr. Beale? You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about America and democracy. There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM, and ITT, and AT&T, and DuPont, Dow, Union Carbide, and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today. What do you think the Russians talk about in their councils of state, Karl Marx? They get out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, minimax solutions, and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments, just like we do. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr. Beale. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The world is a business, Mr. Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, Mr. Beale, to see that... perfect world... in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality. One vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock. All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.

About to top 7 billion

At a time the human race seems to be in a very difficult place, what happens next ?

8 Billion ? :lol:

Nah, that won't be for ages. My money's on 7 billion and one.

well the 2004 tsunami hit what minimum 300k?

it's not the volume we'd be looking at to help keep the population on an even keel.

space exploration is the only answer for me. another cool thing would be some kind of supernatural EMP blackout which would take out all electronics.

then everyone can panic riot etc, whilst everyone tries to work out how to view past episodes of Ray Mears

hmm I think I see where the problem areas are

However the population of China is expected to stabilise, the population of India is expected to continue breeding out of control:

India%2BChina%2BPopulation%2BForecast.jpg

Good thing they are about as athletic as a sloth else half the footballers in the world would probably be Indian by 2030.

What we should be doing is investing more in the sciences..

The UK *AIM* to inevest a mere 2.5% of UK GDP by 2014.. Really?

The U.S *AIM* to invest 3% of their GDP..

The leading country is Japan - no suprise - but even they only invest 4%..

we need to invest more that this.. we really do.

Â