Chinese Toddler Hit and Run

ED

I find it hard to comprehend what the van driver did but equally baffling that anyone could just walk past.

When you see things like this its no surprise that there is so much fighting and economic troubles in the world, there are just too many cun7s knocking around.

RIP

Or maybe he just didn't see the girl.

I saw a dog die a painful death just a few minutes ago, getting his legs hit thrice by cars on a road before being hit in the head the 4th time round. Harrowing experience, but it got me thinking - to what extent can drivers really be held liable for these kinds of accidents? First of all, drivers probably can't see someone as small as a toddler or a dog in the dark, and secondly, he can't really be expected to stop abruptly in the middle of a busy road to help because he might get hit himself.

I find it hard to comprehend what the van driver did but equally baffling that anyone could just walk past.

When you see things like this its no surprise that there is so much fighting and economic troubles in the world, there are just too many cun7s knocking around.

RIP

Or maybe he just didn't see the girl.

I saw a dog die a painful death just a few minutes ago, getting his legs hit thrice by cars on a road before being hit in the head the 4th time round. Harrowing experience, but it got me thinking - to what extent can drivers really be held liable for these kinds of accidents? First of all, drivers probably can't see someone as small as a toddler or a dog in the dark, and secondly, he can't really be expected to stop abruptly in the middle of a busy road to help because he might get hit himself.

Well, I'd agree that if the Van Driver didn't see a toddlr (or dog) then you can have some sympathy.

BUt the road being busy isn't an excuse to not help a dying toddler. Maybe if you hit a dog. But not a child!

Regardless, the road in question in the OP is certainly not busy.

Put yourself in the shoes of the van driver. You're driving the van, in the dark, and all of a sudden you hear a thud. 9 times out of 10, a driver in a situation like that would continue driving, assuming that he had hit a box or crate or at worst a stray animal. After all, what are the chances that a toddler would cross a road without adult supervision?

something is seriously wrong with Chinese society for that to happen.

Now there's a lot wrong with Chinese society but this isn't one of them. A one-off I say.

That's being too kind to them, almost to the point of naivety.

There is a lot wrong with them but this isn't one of them??? Well that's contradictory isn't it. If this isn't one of the things wrong with them then what is?

Probably my favourite country and not a true reflection on any of Chinese people I've encountered during my visits ...

sickening but I'd rather not judge 1.3 billion people by the actions of a few people , you get cu**ts in all society .. to see people posting "Chinese people go to hell" on the you tube comments page is just pure ignorance.

That's my beef with this whole thing, it just turns into a racist anti-China hatefest, especially on Youtube.

Racism occurs for a reason, and a lot of it is down to the plain fact that these people do deserve it and have it coming. There is no smoke without fire.

They just don't care about lives. Humans, dogs or other animals, it doesn't matter. Then again they don't care about much else, including and especially hygene.

Lacing milk with melanine, faking just about everything including medicine and food products resulting in people being poisoned to death. Many have no courtesy, are crude and boorish. There is a litany of stuff as to why they are generally disliked.

Every country definitely has its own irksome ilk but China definitely has a way higher proportion than the norm, as well as being far more irksome than the norm.

something is seriously wrong with Chinese society for that to happen.

Now there's a lot wrong with Chinese society but this isn't one of them. A one-off I say.

That's being too kind to them, almost to the point of naivety.

There is a lot wrong with them but this isn't one of them??? Well that's contradictory isn't it. If this isn't one of the things wrong with them then what is?

For starters, both human and animal rights. (By human rights, I mean rights like freedom of speech, not the general right to life) Western ideals like democracy and environmental sustainability have yet to really take root in China.

Then there's the sick culture-wide obsession with academic study and getting good grades in school that is imho creating a generation of incredibly stressed-out Chinese youths with little time to spare for holistic development. (This is true for Singapore as well)

They just don't care about lives. Humans, dogs or other animals, it doesn't matter. Then again they don't care about much else, including and especially hygiene.

Lacing milk with melanine, faking just about everything including medicine and food products resulting in people being poisoned to death. Many have no courtesy, are crude and boorish. There is a litany of stuff as to why they are generally disliked.

Quite conjectural I know, but I find it hard to believe that incidents similar to the milk poisoning case and the like don't happen in other developing countries, particularly India.

I agree with you that they are generally "crude and boorish," the mainlanders anyway, but that is hardly cause to justify generalising the Chinese people as sociopaths with no regard for the lives of others, nor should it warrant the "CHINESE PEOPLE GO TO HELL"-type comments that are circulating around the Internet.

Probably my favourite country and not a true reflection on any of Chinese people I've encountered during my visits ...

sickening but I'd rather not judge 1.3 billion people by the actions of a few people , you get cu**ts in all society .. to see people posting "Chinese people go to hell" on the you tube comments page is just pure ignorance.

That's my beef with this whole thing, it just turns into a racist anti-China hatefest, especially on Youtube.

Racism occurs for a reason, and a lot of it is down to the plain fact that these people do deserve it and have it coming. There is no smoke without fire.

They just don't care about lives. Humans, dogs or other animals, it doesn't matter. Then again they don't care about much else, including and especially hygene.

Every country definitely has its own irksome ilk but China definitely has a way higher proportion than the norm, as well as being far more irksome than the norm.

(in your opinion)

Just dreadful watching this on the news the other night. Couldn't beleive the second white van not only didn't stop, but actually ran over the toddler again, lying in a pool of blood.

Too many people truly have "no natural affection" or empathy for their fellow human beings anymore. (2 Tim 3:3)

But then weren't there rumours of IIRC the Brazilian government going around shooting homeless children to clear the streets ready for the Olympics or World Cup a few years ago?

Sickening.

Racism occurs for a reason

I agree.
and a lot of it is down to the plain fact that these people do deserve it and have it coming. There is no smoke without fire.
I disagree.

I've just been watching the Ken Burns' "The West" documentaries, and in episode one there is a Native American woman who says something like: "Some people talk about our culture before the coming of the white man as a sort of perfect society, a paradise. It wasn't. Some aspects of it were positive and laudable, some were downright appalling. We were human beings, no more, no less".

Picking up incidents like this as a way to condemn entire races or nations is stupid, dangerous and wrong.

(2 Tim 3:3)

I don't know what smiley you're trying to make there, because I just can't see that in the list of VT emoticons.

Funnily enough, I was going to chuck in a couple of Bible quotations which seemed apt for this case.

Matthew 7:1

and

John 8:3

(Julie - can you identify them without Googling?) :)

I may be an atheist, but there's some wise stuff even in the myth books.

Hmm, from what I can remember of my 3 weeks at Sunday school...

Matthew 7:1
"And lo, the croutons were added to the soup, and it was good".

John 8:3
"For he had journeyed far, and yet his breath retained that minty fragrance".

Gareth you have far too much time on your hands again.... Get that desk cleaned.

Mike I'm not judging anyone...people answer for their own actions - Matt 7:1

"Stop judging, that you may not be judged"

Which is exactly what Jesus told the hypocritical theiving Pharisees about the Adulterous woman who they were so quick to condemn. John 8: 3 -11

I'm sure there are alot of people who would have come to that poor little girl's assistance. However there are far too many heartless individuals in every culture.

Gareth you have far too much time on your hands again.... Get that desk cleaned.

Mike I'm not judging anyone...people answer for their own actions - Matt 7:1

"Stop judging, that you may not be judged"

Which is exactly what Jesus told the hypocritical theiving Pharisees about the Adulterous woman who they were so quick to condemn. John 8: 3 -11

I'm sure there are alot of people who would have come to that poor little girl's assistance. However there are far too many heartless individuals in every culture.

Oh, I wasn't having a go at you Julie, more the people who are condemning the Chinese.

Plenty of people in all cultures will walk by on the other side - sometimes the Good Samaritan turns up too late, sadly. :(

No worries Mike... I thought afterwards you meant because people were condeming the Chinese, which isn't really fair. In some

parts of the Orient people try very hard to have the utmost respect for every form of life and in some ways the Chinese have

far more respect for their elderly relatives than we do in the West.

Â