Chinese Toddler Hit and Run

ED

No thread? Old news now

Beeb:

Outcry in China over hit-and-run toddler left in street

The incident was captured on surveillance cameras

Chinese media and internet users have voiced shock at a hit-and-run incident involving a two-year-old child left injured in the road as passers-by ignored her. The toddler was hit by a van on Thursday in the city of Foshan.

After the van sped off, several pedestrians and vehicles passed the girl without stopping. Several minutes later she was hit by another vehicle. A rubbish collector finally helped her, but she is said to be seriously hurt.

The incident was captured on surveillance cameras and aired on local media. The footage showed the van hitting the little girl, pausing briefly while she was under the vehicle and then driving off, running over her legs.

It then showed about a dozen passers-by, including cyclists, a motorcyclist and a woman and child, noticing the little girl lying injured in the street but walking on. After she was hit by the second vehicle, a rubbish collector spotted the little girl and moved her to the kerb, then began looking for her mother.

The child, Yue Yue, was taken to hospital for emergency surgery but pronounced brain dead on Sunday, the China Daily reported. The newspaper said she had wandered off while her mother went to collect some laundry.

The drivers of both vehicles have now been arrested, the newspaper said, but the incident has also triggered outcry among Chinese citizens.

It provoked a storm of comment on microblogging site Weibo. "Even pigs and dogs are better than they are!" said one angry contributor about the passers-by.

"In China, there's no bottom line for human ethics anymore! China is 'smashing' new records again and again!" commented another. Others were more reflective. "Now people ignore everything other than money. This society is lacking people with a conscience badly."

Scam fears

Some said they understood the dilemma for the passers-by - that if they helped out they might incur costs or be blamed for the accident.

Map

The China Daily reported incidents in January in which elderly men who fell in the street were left alone because people did not want to get involved.

It cited an earlier case in which a man, Peng Yu, who helped an injured elderly lady to hospital was then found by a court to be liable for some of her medical costs.

Another case - in which an elderly woman believed to have fallen in the road accused a man, Xu Yunhe, who stopped to help her, of hitting her with his car - also attracted considerable attention.

"There's been so many cases where people have been treated unjustly after doing good things," one comment said.

"I am not as rich as Xu Yunhe and Peng Yu are, we are all poor grassroots people," said another. "If we get caught in a scam, this is it. All we can do is to dial 120 (the emergency number)."

I remember the first time that I visited HK and went out in the late evening.

The streets were packed and my overriding impression was a feeling of safety, because it wasn't at all threatening, but equally I felt that if I dropped down with a heart attack I would be stepped over as people continued on with their busy lives. As an outsider looking in, South east Asian culture is even less caring than U.S. culture, but my experience is limited.

something is seriously wrong with Chinese society for that to happen.

Now there's a lot wrong with Chinese society but this isn't one of them. A one-off I say.

A one-off where 18 people walk by?

I'd call it an 18-off....

I know for a fact that i could not just walk past someone who was injured or in need of assistance and pretend that i never noticed them, let alone a 2 year old toddler who has almost been crushed to death! Am i wrong in thinking that most normal people and societies have a natural instinct to help those in danger?

To be honst, im gobsmacked that people can ignore another human being in need of help. It makes my stomach turn watching that.

Is the perant partially at fault here?

something is seriously wrong with Chinese society for that to happen.

Now there's a lot wrong with Chinese society but this isn't one of them. A one-off I say.

A one-off where 18 people walk by?

I'd call it an 18-off....

Fair enough.......but I'm Chinese and I can't envision myself, nor any of the people I know, ever doing that.

The saddest thing is that we (all of us, not just the Chinese) live in a world where we even have to question involving ourselves in such things in the first place for fear of legal reprisal.

Legal reprisal? For helping a toddler?

Yep.

It's in the article at the top of the thread.

Shouldn't stop you helping, for me, but some some to be putting it forward as a possible reason .....

Probably my favourite country and not a true reflection on any of Chinese people I've encountered during my visits ...

sickening but I'd rather not judge 1.3 billion people by the actions of a few people , you get cu**ts in all society .. to see people posting "Chinese people go to hell" on the you tube comments page is just pure ignorance.

Legal reprisal? For helping a toddler?

Yep.

It's in the article at the top of the thread.

Shouldn't stop you helping, for me, but some some to be putting it forward as a possible reason .....

My bad.

When you consider that people over there earn far less than people in developed countries, it's understandable, but hardly justifiable.

Â