Things to Do in Birmingham When You're There

slovenian

It seems we'll be starting on Broad Street but then I'm going to try and move the group towards Arcadia. I'm told Iguanas is a "f**king great restaurant" and that "Mechu is crap, full of really hot skinny chicks, orange musclemen and wealthy older guys. The chicks tend to go for the wealthy older guys." :)

Their assessment of Mechu is pretty much correct. But I'd have thought after all your gymming you'd be one of the orange musclemen ;)

Starting on Broad Street?

I'd suggest Lloyds Bar or Vodka Revs to start. They're at opposite ends. Everythign in between is pretty much cheesey and chavtastic, and where you'd want to finish a bad night, rather than start a good night.

If you can, steer them towards Brindley Place. It's off Broad Street, next to the canal, so you could fool them into thinking you were still on Broad Street :)

It's a bit more upmarket, but right next to Broad Street so you can easily hop over there if you do want to go for it.

I'm so out of the loop with drinking that this comment might seem odd, but it strikes me that all the people who say avoid Broad Street like the plague are those who are simply bored with it. If you are a visitor to the city and only staying for one weekend then it is an entertaining **** which probably should be seen to be believed.

(Mind you, if you are coming in from Dublin it might appear to be pretty tame. :lol:)

but it strikes me that all the people who say avoid Broad Street like the plague are those who are simply bored with it.

Sounds about right. Similar to our Templebar. Must be experienced but don't spend the whole night there :)

(btw I have been in Brum quite a few times ...)

I'm so out of the loop with drinking that this comment might seem odd, but it strikes me that all the people who say avoid Broad Street like the plague are those who are simply bored with it. If you are a visitor to the city and only staying for one weekend then it is an entertaining **** which probably should be seen to be believed.

(Mind you, if you are coming in from Dublin it might appear to be pretty tame. :lol:)

You're probably right to an extent. It's not necessarily a bad night out. It's just the kind of night out you see on "Cops With Cameras". Chavs, slags, fights, vomit, you name it.

Still a good time to be had, but there's plenty of other places I'd go out, and would recommend other people go out, before Broad Street.

Street like the plague are those who are simply bored with it. If you are a visitor to the city and only staying for one weekend then it is an entertaining **** which probably should be seen to be believed.

this

the 3 am scrum at the kebab stall is worth the admission price alone

Similar to our Templebar.

was a bit blurry when i was there ( mainly due to doing Sambuca shots whereby you light the Sambuca when it's in your mouth and swallow it whilst alight .... but I'm sure I thought templbar was just overcrowded and a bit meh ...

I would hope that your fair city has more to it than bars. I was in Birmingham for the very first time last Nov, attended the Norwich game at VP but was only in town for two days to be fair.

I am, a classic bike nut, and Brum is Mecca for this (The Isle of Man is Jerusalem btw) IF you have a liking for classic British machinery, then a visit to the National Motorcycle Museum, out by the airport, is a must. I was gobsmacked. They had a calamitous fire bout four or five years back, but rebuilt in style (with sprinklers thankfully...) and there are over 850 gorgeous machines on display, too many really for one visit, which means I shall return. It is THE premier motorcycle museum on the planet (I also visited The Sammy Miller Museum, outside Bournemouth in New Milton, and it's a close second.) If you like old bikes or simply have some time around the airport, take a quick cab to the museum, it's absolutely top drawer.

I also visited the Art Gallery and was impressed. I liked your town but didn't really have much time to spend and would have liked more. My focus was on the bike museum and getting to Aston in time to get well slaughtered in preparation for the match...

I'm 49 by the way ;-)

I would hope that your fair city has more to it than bars. I was in Birmingham for the very first time last Nov, attended the Norwich game at VP but was only in town for two days to be fair.

I am, a classic bike nut, and Brum is Mecca for this (The Isle of Man is Jerusalem btw) IF you have a liking for classic British machinery, then a visit to the National Motorcycle Mueum, out by the airport, is a must. I was gobsmacked. They had a calamitous fire bout four or five years back, but rebuilt in style (with sprinklers thankfully...) and there are over 850 gorgeous machines on display, too many really for one visit, which means I shall return. It is THE premier motorcycle museum on the planet (I also visited The Sammy Miller Museum, outside Bournemouth in New Milton, and it's a close second. If you like old bikes or simply have some time aorund the airport, take a quick cab to the museum, it's absolutely top drawer.

I also visited the Art Gallery and was impressed. I liked your town but didn't really have much time to spend and would have liked more. My focus was on the bike museum and getting to Aston in time to get well slaughtered in preparation for the match...

I'm 49 by the way ;-)

I will be in an unending torment until you close that bracket.

Started in Lloyds. That place is absolutely terrible. And upstairs? Even worse. So we then went to the Jamhouse. Though my dress code wasn't up to scratch for them ( rolly eyes ), so after sneaking in with a coat on, I had to leave the coat on because I "had a round collar" on (read: T-shirt). So that only worked for an hour before I got fed up. Ended up back in Reflex. Decent enough spot tbf. Never quite made it to Arcadian, disappointingly. Definitely next time.

Despite getting to bed at 5am I was up for a full English at 9:30, then off to VP for about 11:30. Browse around the club shop then more pints in the Villa Lounge. Tried to meet up with some of the VT crowd but none were around, so back to the VL, more beer then the match followed by The (New) Adventurer pub afterwards.

Good aul' weekend all in all.

Well yeah, I think we just wanted a safe bet after 2 relative failures. An 80s club to me is like a nightmare, but we didn't pay much attention to the music ;)

Yeah Lloyds isn't great. To be honest I probably would go there IF I had to go to Broad Street. But as I said before, Broad Street would be about the last place in Brum I'd go for a night out these days.

Jamhouse is actually pretty cool. The majority of the time I've been there I've had a cracking night.

But the dress code thing is a bit of a pain. I porbably should have mentioned that in my A to Z guide before :)

Â