Cape Town

CrackpotForeigner

Just had a 2 week vaca there. Great city. Loved the food markets and hiking. Not really used to the extreme poverty, but guess that's how it is. 

I used airbnb and Uber extensively for the first time and I must say airbnb is absolutely brilliant. Especially the airbnb events. 

Had a tour of the winelands and it was amazing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping to do a trans continental trip in August (the missus is a teacher 😫) and this is high on the list.

How long would people recommend spending in Cape Town?  I gather there is a lot of out of town excursions that can be taken from there too?

Hard to say really  , as always it depends on what you and Mrs316 like doing 

you could allow  1/2 day / full day   for Table Mountain , 1/2 day / full day for Robben island and a general mooch around day or 2  and you'd be pretty satisfied  ... Kirstenbosch gardens if its your thing , Boulders beach for penguins  or better still hire a car and you can drive down to Good Hope  would add another day to your Cape Town extension , there are some natinal parks near by as well)

or you could extend  and could kinda use it as a base for Hermanus and Gansbaai if seeing Great Whites is on your to do list  ..the companies will run mini buses there from CT    , but  Hermanus  was a very pretty sea side town and arguably you'd be better off staying there for a few days instead of commuting from CT

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Booked to go end of August.  Including a tour of the garden route and winelands etc.

Have heard the weather can be somewhat sketchy at that time of year though so hoping for some luck.

• 2 months later...
Â