Cape Town

CrackpotForeigner

...is where I'm from. (fwiw I live in Aus 'cause I met an Aussie girl while travelling in Italy, and have now learnt that you end up living where your wife wants to live. Still, Australia's nice enough and everything)

So, has anyone been to Cape Town then? South Africa has a variety of fine scenery, but as cities go Cape Town is the only one worth visiting imo.

Does everyone know what CT is all about?

"The most stately thing and the fairest Cape we saw in the whole circumference of the earth." ~ Sir Francis Drake 1580 (after "circumcising the world with his 100 ft clipper")

Where else can you stand on your front doorstep and watch waterfalls cascading off a 1000m high mountain, then drive around the mountain and sit on a beach watching the sun setting behind the sea?

If you've been there I hope you liked it as much as I do. If you're thinking of going and have any questions, ask away.

I went there three summers ago with the Mrs and our then 1 year old. Im fortunate enough to have travelled a lot of the world, be it on my gap year or a teacher with huge summer holidays, and CT is in my top three places of all time. The beaches, the history, the natural environment were all incredible, but for me the best thing is the people. Friendly and helpful to the point that we felt guilty people being so nice to us.

A remarkable city.

If i had one gripe it would be Robben Island. For such a monumental part of South African history, the tour doesnt do the story justice. But im really trying to find a fault there.

I agree with Mr Crackpot, this place is well worth a visit.

• 1 month later...

Great place. Was there a month ago. Stopped at Fish Hoek so my 2 year-old could have a run on the sand. And there, just 20 meters or so offshore was abloody great White. When the waves came in you could see its silhouette. Scary even when you're standing on the ebach. Anyway, without taking tours you'll see whales, dolphins, and seals. Brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys Im heading out to Joberg for a wedding this November with my missus and our 16 month old. 

We are going to spend a few days at a local game reserve (a couple of hours outside of Joberg) but have been hearing mixed reports about what shots we will need to take before we fly.  Should i bother with Malaria tablets?

Guys Im heading out to Joberg for a wedding this November with my missus and our 16 month old.

We are going to spend a few days at a local game reserve (a couple of hours outside of Joberg) but have been hearing mixed reports about what shots we will need to take before we fly. Should i bother with Malaria tablets?

no mate. I travel often to south africa and you dont need malaria tablets. Ironically i am back in joburg, cape town and durban last couple of weeks in nov also. Let me know if you need any advice on anything. In terms of jabs just pop to the docs in the uk and they can tell you what you need. I had a whole bunch of them sometime back for trips to nigeria and kenya etc so never bother now with sa trips etc

We are going to spend a few days at a local game reserve (a couple of hours outside of Joberg) but have been hearing mixed reports about what shots we will need to take before we fly. Should i bother with Malaria tablets?

no mate. I travel often to south africa and you dont need malaria tablets. Ironically i am back in joburg, cape town and durban last couple of weeks in nov also. Let me know if you need any advice on anything. In terms of jabs just pop to the docs in the uk and they can tell you what you need. I had a whole bunch of them sometime back for trips to nigeria and kenya etc so never bother now with sa trips etc

Thanks drat.

Good news about the malaria tablets.  They are bad enough when taking them yourself, but i didnt like the idea of giving them to my son.

No probs nigel. As said just shout if i can help. Usually stay in sandton in joburg so if you are around and allowed out for a beer :-) more than happy to buy you a very cheap pint :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im off tomorrow. Should be a (rainy) hoot.

Yes mate it's been cloudy and bit rainy today but still warm. Earlier this week was very warm, last night a cracking thunderstorm

Weekend looking OK with a few late afternoon thunderstorms but the football will be on TV then anyway :-)

Probably the one place that I have a real hankering to visit.

The trouble is that my wife watches too much TV and refuses to go to South Africa.

As a consequence I am planning a trip Ethiopia/Kenya/South Africa with a mate!

As an aside a French friend and colleague is on honeymoon in South Africa and Mozambique, of which we had this exchange.

I asked why the hell anyone would want to go to Mozambique, to which he replied "because the best bitches are in Mozambique"

"but it's your honeymoon, you don't need bitches any more"

It turned out he was talking about beaches :)

• Like 2

Probably the one place that I have a real hankering to visit.

The trouble is that my wife watches too much TV and refuses to go to South Africa.

As a consequence I am planning a trip Ethiopia/Kenya/South Africa with a mate!

As an aside a French friend and colleague is on honeymoon in South Africa and Mozambique, of which we had this exchange.

I asked why the hell anyone would want to go to Mozambique, to which he replied "because the best bitches are in Mozambique"

"but it's your honeymoon, you don't need bitches any more"

It turned out he was talking about beaches :)

Mozambique is spectacular and certainly one of the up and coming places in Africa

16 Rand to the pound at the moment in SA makes thinks like food and drink spectacularly cheap - e.g. beer under a quid and it's good stuff

Â