Mature Student

donnie

Previous thread i said how i wasnt liking job, so got me thinking about going back to uni to do something i might enjoy.

Was thinking Radiography...course funded by nhs so no fees, sounds intresting and I have the grades to get on course. Sure with nhs cuts course wont be funded for to much longer either.

Anyone gone back as a mature student?? Id be 27 by time i get on course, have no major bills, so money only a minor issue.

hmmm, disappointed with this thread.

Not what I thought I was going to get.

To answer the point, I recently sat a degree course and the really difficult parts were putting up with teenagers and knowing some lecturers weren't up to date with current industry practises.

At 27 you probs won't have the grating jarring generation gap. If you don't already 'do' radiography you won't get wound up by some info potentially ebing incorrect. Go for it, ultimate result is you'll be helping save lives.

To answer the point, I recently sat a degree course and the really difficult parts were putting up with teenagers and knowing some lecturers weren't up to date with current industry practises.

At 27 you probs won't have the grating jarring generation gap. If you don't already 'do' radiography you won't get wound up by some info potentially ebing incorrect. Go for it, ultimate result is you'll be helping save lives.

disappointed?? did u expect to see a naked woman or something lol

I'd go for it. I worked in industrial radiography for a few years and would like to have taken it further, had it not been for having the biggest word removed in the world as my manager. You'll also have a job for life...

when I was in 1st year, there was a 30 year old chap who we got to know who was a really sound fellow, who seemed to get on ok.

I'm now 26 and doing my MA so not exactly a jarring gap for me when I mingle with the freshers though still more than long enough to notice a slight difference. ( I refuse to believe half of them are 17 let alone 18/19 :s)

There is a 50 something chap in one of my modules though who's friendly enough - who's doing his second successive masters - i think he's bored, but fair play to the ****.

So do it. No one worth giving a shit about it is going to make an issue of it.

Enjoy!

I've gotten back on the educational treadmill after about a decade or so away. I figured that if I didn't do it by the time I was 30, I was unlikely to otherwise.

It is kinda weird being in classes where I'm older than the instructors.

I'd go for it. I worked in industrial radiography for a few years and would like to have taken it further, had it not been for having the biggest word removed in the world as my manager.

That bloody Steve Jobs got everywhere, didn't he? :winkold:

I'd go for it. I worked in industrial radiography for a few years and would like to have taken it further, had it not been for having the biggest word removed in the world as my manager. You'll also have a job for life...

Thats good to hear :-)

So from your knowledge is there still a need for radiographers despite the cutbacks??

Don't worry about the age thing. I'm in my fifth (and final, thank god!) year at the University of Oslo and I couldn't count all the OAPs I have seen in various classes over the years. They seem to get along just fine so I wouldn't worry about starting up at 27 :)

To answer the point....Go for it, ultimate result is you'll be helping save lives.

disappointed?? did u expect to see a naked woman or something lol

yeah just a dumb joke, mature and student in the same thread title promised to deliver something deeply moving.

if you don't do it, you'll always wonder 'what if'.

best of luck

I've just started graduate medicine. At the age of 24, I'm one of the youngest in the class. The average age being 26 I think with the oldest is 36. Go for it. I'm delighted with myself

I did a FdSc course in Outdoor Education when I was 23, it was good, there was a decent mix of ages.

I would definitely look into grants though, as a mature student you are (or were) entitled to maintenance and tuition fee grants.

I've just started graduate medicine. At the age of 24, I'm one of the youngest in the class. The average age being 26 I think with the oldest is 36. Go for it. I'm delighted with myself

Good on ya! Doesn't medicine take like 5-6 years to complete??

I think there's also a means tested bursary for Student Radiographers, plus there is a national shortage of Radiographers. The current NHS cutbacks won't hold water.

Keep reading conflicting reports about shortage of radiographers, glad you think there is still a shortage.

Already have a degree in transport with a modest student debt, hopefully won't affect me from getting a bursary.

Good on ya! Doesn't medicine take like 5-6 years to complete??

We do the first four years in two, so it's only four years long. It's bloody tough, but very enjoyable.

Â