RIP Steve Jobs

maqroll

All of it would have happened without Jobs, just as the industrial revolution would have happened without say Matthew Boulton, or modern art without Picasso, or the steam train without Stephenson. He’s not vital to any of it; just that he is probably one of a small number of people who have genuinely changed the world. Whether for good or bad, who knows.

You're right about Stephenson, as Trevithick invented the steam locomotive.

But Stephenson developed on the idea and improved it. Although Stephenson is unfairly credited with inventing the steam locomotive. Trevithick is largely forgotten, and Marc Seguin's help to Stephenson is as well.

**** Trevithick. He stole the idea from me

I told my father a few hours ago - forget Michael Jackson, bin Laden and the like, I genuinely felt, in an entirely visceral sense, that the world had fundamentally changed spiritually (if you believe that sort of thing) after Jobs' death. I don't think a public figure's death has ever felt more momentous to me.
:shock: You need to get out more.

I think I understand what you mean now :lol:

To be clear, I don't think he's a great man, but I think he's changed the world for better or worse and that's what I was trying to get across when I said that the world felt like a different place.

• 2 weeks later...
Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Android

Steve Jobs said he wanted to destroy Android and would spend all of Apple's money and his dying breath if that is what it took to do so.

The full extent of his animosity towards Google's mobile operating system is revealed in a forthcoming authorised biography.

Mr Jobs told author Walter Isaacson that he viewed Android's similarity to iOS as "grand theft".

Apple is suing several smartphone makers which use the Android software.

According to extracts of Mr Isaacson's book, obtained by the Associated Press, Mr Jobs said: "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

He is also quoted as saying: "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong."

Apple enjoyed a close relationship with Google prior to the launch of the Android system. Google products, including maps and search formed a key part of the iPhone's ecosystem.

At that time, Google's chief executive, now chairman, Eric Schmidt also sat on the board of Apple.

However, relations began to sour when Google unveiled Android in November 2007, 10 months after the iPhone first appeared.

In subsequent years Apple rejected a number of Google programs from its App store, forcing the company to create less-integrated web app versions.

Android has subsequently enjoyed rapid adoption and now accounts for around 48% of global smartphone shipments, compared to 19% for Apple.

But its growth has not gone uncontested. Apple has waged an aggressive proxy-war against Android, suing a number of the hardware manufacturers which have adopted it for their tablets and smartphones.

Motorola was one of the first to be targeted, although it is Samsung that has borne the brunt of Mr Jobs' ire.

The South Korean firm is currently banned from selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia and Germany because of a combination of patent infringements and "look and feel" similarities. A smartphone ban is also pending in the Netherlands.

Patents blogger Florian Mueller, who has been following the court cases closely, said Apple would be conscious of its past, where other companies exploited some of its early ideas.

"If Apple doesn't want the iPhone and iPad to be marginalized the way it happened to the Macintosh at the hands of the Wintel duopoly, it has to use the full force of its intellectual property to fend off the commoditization threat that Android represents," he told BBC News.

Mr Mueller - who has previously undertaken consulting work commissioned by Microsoft - was also critical of Eric Schmidt's dual role at the time: "The fact that Eric Schmidt stayed on Apple's board while he was preparing an iOS clone was an inexcusable betrayal of Steve Jobs' trust."

Mr Schmidt resigned from the Apple board in August 2009. He was later quoted by Bloomberg as saying: "I was on the board until I couldn't stay on the board anymore."

BBC

I read that article earlier and it made me chuckle. Let's not forget that the latest iteration of the iPhone borrows heavily from Android. Plus every Apple device created has borrowed heavily from other devices. The only original thing Apple products have going for them is their looks and how expensive they are for what they can do.

This post by a user on IGN sums it up rather well (for the main part):

Albeit a false accusation, I think it's absolutely hilarious to see Steve Jobs of ALL PEOPLE complaining about somebody stealing an idea. For goodness sakes the only thing he really ever invented was how to take popular ideas from people & re-brand them.

He took the mouse & many other ideas from Xerox and settled out of court. He also took the tablet (iPad) idea from IBM and the iPod came from Creative Labs which Apple still pays a royalty to from another out of court settlement. The iPhone he took from the LG with the debut of the LG Prada in 2006 via the "iF Product Design Award" & many other mobile platforms like Symbian & Windows Mobile.

Plus, has anyone see iOS5 lately? Look familiar? It's a copy of Android 1.6 from 2009! Right down to Google Voice, err, I mean "Siri", Sheesh!!!

Jobs was also known for being a nightmare to work for. There are stories of his employees avoiding him at all costs because of his frequent violent outbursts and verbal abuse.

He wasn't an inventor; He was just an arrogant man great at marketing ideas and dumbing down copies of other pre-existing technologies to people who are technologically disinclined. God bless his soul & I am sorry for his his family's loss, but let the man be remembered for what he really was and stop deifying him in the media.

I respect Steve Jobs. Love him or hate him, one way or another, he forced everyone to make a better product. I believe to properly honor the memory of a great person, like Jobs, you should remember them for who they really were.

The amount of disrespect and bile in this thread and on the internet as a whole towards a dead man is saddening.

Love him or hate him, he revolutionised the way people think about mobile technology, whether through marketing or invention it's irrelevant. He changed the face of the planet forever.

RIP.

Love him or hate him, he revolutionised the way people think about mobile technology, whether through marketing or invention it's irrelevant. He changed the face of the planet forever.

The power of marketing.........

Steve Jobs - The genius of Brand

Steve Jobs = James Dyson with a way bigger budget and less talent.

R.I.P.

Â