part-ex car - whose tax disc?

ender4

UPDATE:

so i told the dealer that the tax disc is mine, and he's spent 10 mins ranting and raving at me, calling me a cheat, and saying that his part-ex price includes the tax disc, and he wouldn't have offered me so much for the car if the tax disc wasn't included.

in the end, i said i'll call him tomorrow, as i had to get back to work.

i don't want to leave a sour taste just in case, though i guess he wouldn't honour my warranty on my new car now anyway.

i'm in 2 minds again as what to do...

I deal with car dealers a lot and when they go mad, 99% of the time it's to do with their bonus.

He either uses this to make a few quid on the side or the money he's lost on the disc may come out of his commission.

If he has called you a cheat, I think it's time you reminded them that you are the customer. If they are part of a large group (e.g. Inchcape, Ford Retail, etc) I would complain directly to them. It's the best way of getting their wings clipped.

My daughter part-exed her car last year, and I made a point of telling her to remove the tax disc. When we were finalising the exchange she had the disc in her hand and the salesman asked me to put it away quickly, clearly intimating that his boss would expect the disc to be left on the car, even though the subject of unused tax was never discussed.

In past times any car transaction did not involve the road fund licence, but apparently now it is a way of adding 'bunts'.

I assume that the car you have acquired as a trade in deal was delivered with a tax disc that you had to pay for in addition to the agreed price? If so, then the dealer set the precedent, and the entire transaction was on the basis of road fund licence being outside of agreed prices, an extra, which of course would apply to both sides.

You say he asked you about tax disc on way out - what did you say? If you said no, fine but otherwise I think he probably will feel bitter.

Deal had been done by then

If he agreed to give the disc, the agreed deal had changed (Perhaps not binding, but still)

You say he asked you about tax disc on way out - what did you say? If you said no, fine but otherwise I think he probably will feel bitter.

If he agreed to give the disc, the agreed deal had changed (Perhaps not binding, but still)

ah but if all the finances of the deal including the trade in price had been worked out prior to this, and he had to ask how much tax was left on the car, how can he now claim his trade in price included the value of the tax disk?

ah but if all the finances of the deal including the trade in price had been worked out prior to this, and he had to ask how much tax was left on the car, how can he now claim his trade in price included the value of the tax disk?

Both kind of right.

However, everyone telling the dealer to "do one" perhaps needs to consider that he is a businessman. If on leaving the shop (and we're only hearing one side of the story here) he asked how much tax was left on the car and was given an answer then he is well within his rights to assume that the tax is included in the sale. Perhaps not legally, but on a man to man basis you know? Then the car turns up without a tax disc, I'd be thinking WTF as well.

If the OP had nipped it in the bud straight with a "nice try!" comment or something similar then none of this would be happening. They could have both walked away from the deal there and then if necessary. Instead he's acted a bit two-bob if you ask me.

I had something similar happen to me recently. We were re-cabling an office in central London. When we surveyed the job we agreed to strip out the old cabling as part of the quote. The value of scrap was factored in, about £2k. As it was a new client we went in with a low quote. When we arrived we were then told that although we would be stripping out the old cabling, they wanted to sell it on themselves. Now legally of course we have no right to the copper and we didn't mention it's value at the time of the quote, so we hadn't a leg to stand on. But it's below the belt, that was our profit. We ended up paying to work there.

People need to be a bit more cute. Like all of us the guy is trying to earn a living, he's not necessarily out to make your life a misery.

i didn't really say anything, i think i just looked confused and said dunno.

However, everyone telling the dealer to "do one" perhaps needs to consider that he is a businessman. If on leaving the shop (and we're only hearing one side of the story here) he asked how much tax was left on the car and was given an answer then he is well within his rights to assume that the tax is included in the sale. Perhaps not legally, but on a man to man basis you know? Then the car turns up without a tax disc, I'd be thinking WTF as well.

If the OP had nipped it in the bud straight with a "nice try!" comment or something similar then none of this would be happening. They could have both walked away from the deal there and then if necessary. Instead he's acted a bit two-bob if you ask me.

People need to be a bit more cute. Like all of us the guy is trying to earn a living, he's not necessarily out to make your life a misery.

i'm not trying to take the piss.

If its accepted practice that i leave the tax disc, then i'm happy giving it to him.

but yes, both sides (me & the dealer) should have clarified it during the negotiation. i have learnt for next time.

It is not accepted practice that the tax disc is included in any part ex. Any less than a couple of months left on the tax then they would not be interested in it.The dealer is not stupid. He'd have clocked the tax disc and noticed that it had a number of months left. He should therefore have been straight up front and say I'll give you so much including the tax disc. Had it have had less than a couple of months remaining he wouldn't have been interested in the tax disc so he'd clearly looked at it and was aware of it when he gave you the part ex price so should have clearly stated to inc tax disc in his part ex offer.

The dealer should have been straight with you. He wasn't. If he feels he has lost out then that is his fault. He has taught himself a lesson.

If salesmen etc could just be straight up front with people and not try to **** about they could save us all, including themselves, a lot of grief.

i'm not trying to take the piss.

If its accepted practice that i leave the tax disc, then i'm happy giving it to him.

but yes, both sides (me & the dealer) should have clarified it during the negotiation. i have learnt for next time.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was having a pop at you per-se, just the general "us against them" tone of the thread.

Fair enough I guess. It's not accepted practice to leave the tax disc, that is obvious. But it's only something you researched after you agreed to hand it over. Perhaps you should have bit the bullet at that point and given it him out of courtesy, verbal agreement, whatever and still learnt your lesson.

That said, the bloke sounds like a bit of a cock. So maybe he deserves what he gets. Just trying to offer an opinion from the "dark-side" :winkold:

Edit - You also selectively quoted me. My tale of woe is relevant IMO.

You are selling the car not the tax disc. He shouldn't have assumed it came with it.

If you had a pair of football boots and a spare can in the back would he expect those to be included?

No, then it's his issue not yours.

Â