28 members have voted

1. 1. Who should partner Rooney?

• Michael Owen.
    • Alan Smith.
    • Jermaine Defoe.
    • Darius Vassell.
    • Other- give them a shout!
    • Nobody, we should play 4-5-1.

Over-rated, over-paid, boring little shit.

That sounds like a great description of Defoe, not Owen. Would he be in the squad if he played outside of Laaandon? A media darling if I ever saw one.

That sounds like a great description of Defoe, not Owen. Would he be in the squad if he played outside of Laaandon? A media darling if I ever saw one.

remember how well Ridgewell dealt with Defoe at the end of last season, didn't given even half a chance, wound him up, got him booked, did a cheeky smile to the holte end, that was an absolutely awesome performance from liam (the only time i've heard "Liam, Liam, Liam" from the holte rather than "Dion, Dion, Dion"), but while he was amazing it did show that if defoe comes up against decent central defenders then he is rubbish, oh wait he'll be up against robert page and danny gabbidon, ignore what i just said...

I think Owen just about. Even when he's playing shite, I still fancy him to pop up with a vital goal, dunno why.

Also I'm not totally sure how well Rooney and Defoe would work. I know strikers are supposed to be selfish, to a degree, but if you paired those two together you would have the most selfish front line imaginable. Neither of them would pass, even if a clear goal scoring chance would be created, with both of them trying to do everything and score a wonder goal.

Neither of them would pass, even if a clear goal scoring chance would be created, with both of them trying to do everything and score a wonder goal.

Can't agree with that Doug. Every time I see Rooney play he always seems to look for a defense splitter pass as well as going for goal himself. He comes deep quite often too, unlike the overly hyped Defoe.

Ok, I'll (attempt to) explain myself a bit better.

Rooney IS a selfish player, like any decent striker should be. There have been times when he really should've passed rather than go for goal. But, all fowards are 'guilty' of this, so it's not a criticism of Rooney specifically. He is also very young so he's even more likely to go for goal. And he's the best striker we have by a long way.

The point I was trying to make is that the Rooney/Defoe partnership wouldn't work as Defoe is even more selfish and annoyingly so sometimes. I don't think two players like this would work well together. Owen, Smith and Vas are all much more willing to pass than Defoe and will, IMO, work better with Rooney.

There have been times when he really should've passed rather than go for goal.

england v france for example, pass to vass then he's the one who starts the tournament with a goal, instead go yourself and beckham become public enemy number 1

I would have anyone but Owen partner Rooney. What has he done lately? Yes he has a good scoring record, but he is not mtch fit and his performances for England over the last few games, incl Euro 2004, have been distinctly average. He is selfish, has lost a lot of his pace, which was his main attribute, and Smith, Defoe and Vass are much better in the box than him. Yes, IMO, Vass is better in the box than Owen.

Vass is more on form than Owen, at least he is playing. If Vass ever got dropped ahead of Owen, on current form/games played, then I would write to the FA and complain.

Â