Xbox One

hogso

That picture is just a mock-up to illustrate a piece in the magazine where they're discussing the potential of Durango. And the article is mostly stabs in the dark that anyone could make, with the odd more out there punt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Appears as though the reveal is guaren-damn-teed for E3 this year. The 'Xbox Live director of Progamming', Major Nelson, has put up a countdown clock to the event. You can see it here, if you really want to, it's literally just a boring old countdown clock though. In my humble opinion there has never, ever been a single exciting countdown clock in regards to game/console releases, and this is actually one of the most boring, ever.

If it isn't for the new Xbox though, well...maybe he is just really looking forward to E3?

Edited by hogso

I think the countdown is due to the announcement of the new Xbox. The current gen is so stale. The same games just keep getting pumped out and you can really tell that the developers are struggling to improve the current set of console games. The new Xbox needs to come out November/December this year IMO. I feel it will be coming out with a few decent games too, such as BF4.

Edited by PieFacE

I feel it will be coming out with a few decent games too, such as BF4.

Yeah, makes sense. It's been announced it will be out this year, which is bit surprising given the gap between BF2 and BF3, but it seems prime fodder for new Xbox. Perhaps getting in there before a new CoD, too? BF3 didn't exactly set the world on fire, so you'd think the developers would want to make up for those missed opportunites.

I think the countdown is due to the announcement of the new Xbox. The current gen is so stale. The same games just keep getting pumped out and you can really tell that the developers are struggling to improve the current set of console games. The new Xbox needs to come out November/December this year IMO. I feel it will be coming out with a few decent games too, such as BF4.

im wagering november 19th in north america, with watchdogs and halo 5 as launch titles

Yeah, makes sense. It's been announced it will be out this year, which is bit surprising given the gap between BF2 and BF3, but it seems prime fodder for new Xbox. Perhaps getting in there before a new CoD, too? BF3 didn't exactly set the world on fire, so you'd think the developers would want to make up for those missed opportunites.

Yeah BF3 was so limited on the Xbox due to hardware. PC has 64 player modes. Xbox could only handle 24.

im wagering november 19th in north america, with watchdogs and halo 5 as launch titles

I hope so. As a fan of Halo and someone who will definitely be getting the next gen console on release day I'd love that to be true!

Consoles don't launch with 'major' titles any more - they basically don't need to.

And Halo 4 would have only just been out 12 months if we assume there is a November launch for Microsoft's next console. Even if 343 have been working on it before they've launched 4 it's still a big ask to turn around a major title on new hardware only a year after your last release, especially as 343 is still a young studio. I've no doubt Microsoft would love to make Halo into an annual franchise but they won't do it now, they'll do it after the next release (if they do at all), when they've an established platform and 343 are confident working with that platform and churning out a yearly release.

The next Xbox will launch with a ragtag bunch of stuff, almost certainly with 'overlap' cross generational titles, just like last time, and without a big exclusive franchise release. I would be absolutely shocked to see Halo 5 be a launch title.

It's an interesting time for Microsoft. Xbox is the one of its few money generating ventures and there is only one generation of consoles left. They are likely to block the second hand market, possibly not even having a disc player and will lean heavily on digital downloads. I expect the first big release will only be available by download and they'll spin it that you don't have to queue up at midnight. It'll pre-load in advance and be turned on at the same time worldwide.

They'll try to insist that game developers release for PCs / tablets at the same time as consoles, which will fail. They'll do everything they can to stop you using anything but approved Microsoft product so that they can put a mark up on everything that you put on your device.

They'll attempt to put a "Windows 8" interface on it even though it'll be yet another skin with no continuity from the other Win8 interfaces.

I'll look back in a year and see.

I'm not sure about them gunning for the second hand market. Again, no doubt they're thinking about it (patents have been flying about, I think?), I'm just not sure they're ready to gun for it hard enough right now to kill it off in 1 fell swoop.

It's a certainty that day and date downloads are going to come with this console, though. Even Nintendo have got that more or less up and running on their systems now (though how popular it is is questionable - daft pricing). And they will lean on it as a feature and push it hard, especially after having made XBLA into a genuine 'thing' now.

The Windows 8 thing is a certainty too - they've already spent 2 years cobbling on 'Metro Style interface' onto the Xbox Dash, with varying degrees of success.

...there is only one generation of consoles left...

I'm not doubting you at all, but purely out of interest, what do you think the future after consoles will be? I've read a little about cloud gaming taking over, which is logical I guess, but is this really a possibility in worldwide terms within the next decade? Again, I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just interested. Also, what hardware do you think the games will be played on - some form of Smart TV, or a 'media centre' that will essentially be an evolution of the consoles that we have today, or something else?

I'm not sure about them gunning for the second hand market. Again, no doubt they're thinking about it (patents have been flying about, I think?), I'm just not sure they're ready to gun for it hard enough right now to kill it off in 1 fell swoop.

I don't think they'll be gunning for it. It's an inevitable consequence of not including a removable media drive.

I think you'll be wrong on that point - Microsoft won't go completely download, it'll have an optical drive. Too many people would be unable or unprepared to go fully download, and too much of their potential market isn't going to be in the position to buy into a completely digital market. There will still be boxes on shelves in retail for titles.

I completely agree, as said, though, that they will allow those that wish to to go fully digital and they'll heavily push the format, on the back of the success of Live.

I'm not doubting you at all, but purely out of interest, what do you think the future after consoles will be? I've read a little about cloud gaming taking over, which is logical I guess, but is this really a possibility in worldwide terms within the next decade? Again, I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just interested. Also, what hardware do you think the games will be played on - some form of Smart TV, or a 'media centre' that will essentially be an evolution of the consoles that we have today, or something else?

Yes. We'll have streamed gaming before there can be a further generation of consoles. The idea of being able to run your game on any internet connected appliance will be too much of a draw. You only need reasonably low latency, you don't need lots of bandwidth.

You'll be able to play on anything which can currently stream video, hardware will be irrelevant.

But I struggle to stream video sometimes, particularly at HD quality (certainly when it's 1080p). I also know plenty of other people in various locations that also have this issue. We all live in villages/rural towns, and while I assume that within ten years or so this may no longer be a problem, will there not be even higher resolutions that would require even better internet connections? Things like my halls of residence at uni also spring to mind, where lots of people had consoles, but the wireless connection we all shared certainly wasn't up to much and was particularly slow - not to mention the restrictions placed on what we could actually do online. Also, what about other places in the world where they sell plenty of games but are still struggling to get decent internet speeds?

Â