Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

I wouldn't want Mick simply because I believe you should never go back. I'd take Owen Coyle and I'd also take ... wait for it ... Dave O'Leary. Reason being he wouldn't have the chance to fall out with the players being an international manager (he'd only see them a few weeks a year) and he is a good coach, which is all an international side needs given that you're not exactly dealing with amateurs and kids at that level.

But basically I'd take anyone other than Staunton.

Arry's a good manager and he wouldn't be able to break us financially through transfer fees :) Maybe in wages but we'll let Denis O'Brien worry about that. As for DOL. I rate the coach not the man. I just think the lack of exposure to the players during the year makes the international scene ideal for such a horrible scrote.

I'd also take Roy Keane. Say what you want about him. Having him in charge of the national team, players would look up to him and run through brick walls for him. And he'd also benefit from not having enough time to fall out with people :)

Arry's a good manager and he wouldn't be able to break us financially through transfer fees :) Maybe in wages but we'll let Denis O'Brien worry about that. As for DOL. I rate the coach not the man. I just think the lack of exposure to the players during the year makes the international scene ideal for such a horrible scrote.

I'd also take Roy Keane. Say what you want about him. Having him in charge of the national team, players would look up to him and run through brick walls for him. And he'd also benefit from not having enough time to fall out with people :)

I agree on some parts but Trappatoni has shown its easy to fall out with players even when you rarely get to see him.

as for Keane i feel he be more stubborn than Trap and would end a few careers quickly and maybe a recall for Liam Miller :P

Oh I don't doubt that they'd eventually fall out with them. That's inevitable. But I reckon each (DOL, RK) would have at least one qualifying campaign in them :)

Keane would be my first choice to replace Trap.

The team for tomorrow:

Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Wilson, Brady, Andrews, McCarthy, McGeady, Walters, Keane.

How can O'Dea keep his place? I understand O'Shea because he has the experience, but O'Dea is awful.

I just heard that the Pharaohs were leading against Sweden (before losing 2-1) and 'only' lost 3-0 in Germany. I still expect Ireland to win but am considering a Faroe Islands and Poland double tomorrow.

So, as an Englishman who has always had a soft spot for the Irish (mostly because there has always been a fairly strong Villa connection) I have to ask what you guys deem to be success?

If you say the population of the place from a sporting point of view is about 7m (4.5m in the Republic, 2.5m split between the North and those eligible through family connections) then it puts you below pretty much every country bar Uruguay who regularly qualify for the world cup. I know that Gaelic Football & Hurling are popular over there, as is Rugby Union but I'm not sure as to what extent they take players from the football team. Is Ireland a football country in the way that, say England and Italy are, or just a country where football is popular? Is the country's sporting success largely dictated by how well the football team are doing or do more people care about the indigenous sports?

So to answer my own question, I would presume you guys would regularly want to qualify for the World Cup and the Euros like you did under Jack Charlton and you see that as the norm rather than how the last ten years have been?

The thing with Trap is he's very loyal to his misfits. It seems to me that once you get into the squad/starting 11 then you're pretty much guarenteed a place there until you fall out with him.

Take Paul Green. Didn't even have a club in the summer and still got called up to euros!

Take Darren O'dea. Been in the squad for the last few years despite generally failing at various championship clubs on loan from Celtic and now in the MLS.

Take Keith Andrew-Glen Whelan being genrally the first choice central midfield for the last 4 years.

I'm interested to see Marc Wilson starting tommorrow. You'd think 18 months of solid performances at left back for Stoke would've gotten hma spot ahead of Stephen Ward by now wouldn't you?

It is good at long last to see the likes of Coleman and McCarthy (also Brady) finally getting starts at long last, how knows even McClean might get one sometime in the next year. Shame it was against Germany!

That said I do think Ireland have overachived a bit in the last few years as I don't rate their squad much abve Wales or Scotland so Trap has done well in his confusing and no frills way to get you through to two play-offs.

I wouldn't yet rule you out of this one as o.k 6-1 is bad but Austria couldn't win in Kazakhstand and Sweden would losing tFaroes until Zlatan decided to win the game for them. Without him Sweden are also a very poor team imo.

Trap should certainly have gone in the summer though.

@rev i think most ireland fans are realistic and dont expect qualify a lot. I think a tournament every 6-8 years isnt asking too much but we also dont mind glorious failure which if we are honest didnt happen in summer or friday night which is why a lot of anger is pointed at management

Zatman is right. It would be madness to expect regular qualification, but we know what we're capable of at any given time. We're not in the best of situations wrt player strength at the moment but we have better than is being used. I suppose you could compare us presently to Villa under McLeish. We knew another manager wouldn't win us the league but we weren't what we could have been. And even though a new manager is not getting much better results, Villa are now building for the future and the signs on the pitch and in the squad are promising. We are in that phase with Ireland. There are players that need to be in now gaining experience so that we can be strong for the next European Championships. We won't be qualifying for the World Cup but at this rate we are just using this campaign as a swan song for players who should be gone now.

So, as an Englishman who has always had a soft spot for the Irish (mostly because there has always been a fairly strong Villa connection) I have to ask what you guys deem to be success?

If you say the population of the place from a sporting point of view is about 7m (4.5m in the Republic, 2.5m split between the North and those eligible through family connections) then it puts you below pretty much every country bar Uruguay who regularly qualify for the world cup. I know that Gaelic Football & Hurling are popular over there, as is Rugby Union but I'm not sure as to what extent they take players from the football team. Is Ireland a football country in the way that, say England and Italy are, or just a country where football is popular? Is the country's sporting success largely dictated by how well the football team are doing or do more people care about the indigenous sports?

So to answer my own question, I would presume you guys would regularly want to qualify for the World Cup and the Euros like you did under Jack Charlton and you see that as the norm rather than how the last ten years have been?

Is Ireland a football country? most certainly yes. In terms of numbers playing, football is more popular then both GAA sports combined and far and away more popular then Rugby Union.

In terms of support, I would say as a whole, British football clubs Liverpool, Man. Utd and perhaps Celtic, along with the national team, are more popular then even the most well supported Rugby and GAA teams. The negative of course is that domestic football clubs are poorly supported.

What is success? qualification for the major tournaments. Bar the Staunton era, Ireland have been there or thereabouts for the last few decades.I'd expect this to continue with the expansion of the Euro's, but its not looking good for WC qualification this time out.

I love the Ireland football team, but I've still betted on a draw tonight. Sad times.

A significant portion of Ireland fans do not want Ireland to win tonight. I won't say a majority, but certainly more than is healthy. I'm one of them. A means to an end.

I get what you mean, I was the same with the Norwich game on the final day of last season. A win might have given McLeish a stay of execution and I didn't want that.

Â