Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

On 11/09/2018 at 15:54, Stevo985 said:

He's a parody of himself these days

He really is.  All the stuff coming out now just paints a picture of a feral lunatic prowling the training ground looking for people who are either sitting or lying down.

• 4 weeks later...

So with an aggregate losing score of 9-2 in the last two recent internationals against our upcoming opponents over the next the week. What do people think the prospects are and how will things stand this time next week?

I'm not very optimistic I must say. 

Meanwhile, it looks like Ryan Johansson of Bayern Munich looks set to snub Ireland and declare for ... **** Luxembourg.

That's the power of Roy Keane.

• 5 weeks later...

Who's really going to score for ROI?

Shane Long started last competitive game and until we get back he averages one goal a season at premier league.

Calum Robinson having a good season for PNE but he's better as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 which you don't play, same for Aidan O'Brien.

Your CBs chipping in with goals from set pieces also seems to have stopped lately.

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Who's really going to score for ROI?

Shane Long started last competitive game and until we get back he averages one goal a season at premier league.

Calum Robinson having a good season for PNE but he's better as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 which you don't play, same for Aidan O'Brien.

Your CBs chipping in with goals from set pieces also seems to have stopped lately.

Sean Maguire is the potential answer but sadly he is made of glass plus combined that MON isnt a fan

On 22/06/2016 at 01:10, Zatman said:

Ireland go out tomorrow I think MON has to be sacked, especially when lesser squads like Iceland, Albania, Hungary, Norn Ireland have all punched above their weight and we were gutless last week

Probably more chance of Ranieri getting sacked tomorrow. Just signed a new contract, good performance against Sweden, beaten by a very good Belgium team... and then beaten by a very strong Italian side who MON will say are his favourites to win the tournament.

I don't think we were good against Sweden. I thought we were putrid against Belgium. And I think Italy could be beaten tomorrow by a team who are well organised, but the above is what the media will report. Tough group. We were in a very tough group though. We won't be going home because we don't beat Italy tomorrow, we'll be going home because we **** it up against Sweden. No leadership. Terrified to win we were once we went ahead. MON with no Plan B for when we are winning and Sweden are pushing for an equaliser with their lives, knowing that a loss to us is the end of their tournament. A draw is not much better, but it was a pathway to a win. 

To be fair though we were unlucky not to go in at half time two goals ahead against Sweden. 

I wrote that more than two years ago before the Italy game that we actually won. 

Martin did indeed out last Ranieri. In fact Ranieri has lost two jobs since I wrote that. Surely Ranieri will still be Fulham manager when MON leaves..

I think it is worth considering though who is going to score for Ireland. Callum Robinson has hit some form, but I think he might be more of a wide player, rather than a striker. Sean Maguire has scored some goals, but I would have some concern about his injuries. Hogan is a mess at the moment, and it's not clear if he'll ever turn into an actual player for Ireland. Graham Burke for Preston looks to be out of favour there so another one that the jury is out on. And then we've Shane Long, who could be a decent foil for Robinson, but as a striker who is going to get goals he's not the one.

So then we're looking at youth. There are some promising youngsters. Adam Idah has been scoring goals for Norwich U23s and the Ireland U19s, but is not considered the best striking prospect at Norwich and has been overlooked for Srbeny unfortunately for first team inclusion in recent weeks. There's an Aaron Connolly for Brighton who could well be knocking on the door for the senior team after scoring a hattrick against League 2 opposition last week in the... Johnstone Paint Trophy? Or its most recent equivalent. There's a guy called Parrott for Spurs who is highly thought of and who has been scoring at U23 level. And then there's Obafemi who has played 16 minutes of Premier League football and might be Gareth Bale or Richard Walker. 

None of these youth players have cut their teeth in the premier league, so the jury is still very much so out on them. Of course if a certain VT member is to be believed, scoring in the U23 league is a measure of supreme quality, but the general consensus is that it's not too distinct from training matches in terms of quality or intensity. So we'll wait and see. There is some reason to be hopeful, but also it's possible that these sorts of prospects were around and as well thought of in recent years, but we didn't look too closely at them because we had Robbie Keane to keep us occupied. It is a well thought of U19 squad though and I am under the impression they have qualified for the European Championships, so that could be an external measure of goodness. Hard to say. 

O'Neill out. Please

• Like 1

Â