Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

With the decisive euro qualifiers coming up in a few days, I was just thinking about Republic of Ireland. They are the unluckiest team in world football. When they don't qualify for a tournament, they always seem to be so close. Losing in the play offs in 96, 98, 2000 and 2010. I am desprate for them to qualify, their players deserve it and we have had about 8 Irish players ovr the last 16 years. Even though I'm not Irish, I will be devastated if they don't qualify. This is also the last chance for Given, Duff and Keane to play in a euro.

Have only really had bad luck in 2010, we would win a lot more groups if we were better destroyers of smaller teams. Like Villa goals has always been an issue for us.

If Slovakia win on Friday vs Russia its all in our hands :D. Dont think we have won a qualifying group since 88

Have only really had bad luck in 2010, we would win a lot more groups if we were better destroyers of smaller teams. Like Villa goals has always been an issue for us.

If Slovakia win on Friday vs Russia its all in our hands :D. Dont think we have won a qualifying group since 88

What about the bad luck in the play offs for euro 2000 against turkey. And world cup 98 v Belgium.

With the decisive euro qualifiers coming up in a few days, I was just thinking about Republic of Ireland. They are the unluckiest team in world football. When they don't qualify for a tournament, they always seem to be so close. Losing in the play offs in 96, 98, 2000 and 2010. I am desprate for them to qualify, their players deserve it and we have had about 8 Irish players ovr the last 16 years. Even though I'm not Irish, I will be devastated if they don't qualify. This is also the last chance for Given, Duff and Keane to play in a euro.

I'd think Keane and Duff are a liability at this point. Time to bleed some younger players.

I'd think Keane and Duff are a liability at this point. Time to bleed some younger players

eh they are still easily our 2 best chances of goals. think Keane has 5 goals in qualifying already and Duff was our best player in last home game

The biggest problem we have is center mid.

This. Whelan and Andrews are not international class. Gibson is very hit and miss. I have high hopes for James McCarthy and I hope we see him get more game time. He seems to have fallen out with Trap though which isn't good. Ask Andy Reid.

The problem for the republic of ireland is that given, keane and duff are coming near the end of thir careers. There are not the same quality of youngsters coming through. I think if they get to euro 2012 this might be their last tournament for a while.

not really our prospects are not as bad as people think. Clark, McCarthy and Long are good replacements. Duff and Keane are only 32 and 31 so have another tournament in them along with Dunne and O'Shea.

Its wehn we resort to playing McShame then we are **** ;)

Not even the iffy midfield can balls up Trapps boys from picking up 6 pts from Andorra & Armenia.

people are forgetting Armenia are still in this group so wouldnt take them 3 points for granted. They beat Russia and Slovakia already

The problem for the republic of ireland is that given, keane and duff are coming near the end of thir careers. There are not the same quality of youngsters coming through. I think if they get to euro 2012 this might be their last tournament for a while.

I think in Westwood, Coleman, McGeady, McCarthy & Long Ireland have a potentially decent enough spine to replace those guys. Then you've got the prospects who turn out to be decent or may just return to mediocrity like Meyler, Stevens, Cummins and plenty of other youngsters with British sides and in the LoI. Although I reckon Shay and Dunner will stay on for at least another WC campaign.

Plus there's a great seam of talent from NI & Scotland just waiting to be poached :winkold:.

Also we have to consider it'll probably be easier to qualify for Euro championships in the future as they're being expanded to 24 teams. World Cup less so.

Not even the iffy midfield can balls up Trapps boys from picking up 6 pts from Andorra & Armenia.

people are forgetting Armenia are still in this group so wouldnt take them 3 points for granted. They beat Russia and Slovakia already

I was going to say the same thing. Armenia are only 2 points behind Ireland. And even if Ireland win the 2 games, Russia may win their 2 games which would mean the play offs yet again.

The Republic of Ireland fans are amazing in all sports, just look at the rugby world cup. A tournament with Ireland in is definitely better. The way they took over the New Jersey stadium in 94 was amazing.

The Armenians have picked up some decent results alright but I still reckon the ROI will have too much for them at home and, just like in Yerevan, we'll squeeze through.

What I can see though is Armenia getting an early goal on Tuesday night, with much fretting as a result until Keano or someone steps up to save the day again.

The Republic of Ireland fans are amazing in all sports, just look at the rugby world cup. A tournament with Ireland in is definitely better. The way they took over the New Jersey stadium in 94 was amazing.

Shame they're so crap at following their local football teams!

Â